• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Weird tire wear or maybe rubbing

Started by pejohnson, April 07, 2017, 09:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pejohnson

So I've been looking at new tires to replace my original Goodyear Eagle F1's with 30,000 miles on them.  There is still a little life left however I have a concern before putting new tires on.  All of the tires have severe, uneven tire wear on the inner part of the tire.  Hopefully from the picture you can see what I'm referring to.  I do rotate the tires frequently and alternate the direction pattern, so I'm not sure if it's one location, just the front or all corners that have an issue.  As I indicated the wear is very uneven which makes me even more confused.  Some parts of the tire have no wear and others close to 3/16" of tire is worn off.  I do have aftermarket rims (Nurburging) which I believe have the factor offset.  Additionally the car has been lowered on H&R springs.  I have jacked the car up and do not see any signs of rubbing whether on the front strut towers or fender wells.  Also put the car back down on blocks to see how it sits and try to find any issues with clearance.  Frankly the only thing I can come up with is rubbing during wheel hop however if that were the case I would assume that I would see rubbing on the bottom of the front struts.  I'm at a lose.  Does anyone have any ideas or cause of this issue?

13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

AJP turbo

How wide are your wheels and do you have a pic of the stance of the car?

How long since alignment? And did you align after springs?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

pejohnson

Thanks AJP.  I believe the rim width is 8.5 inches which is OEM specs.  Here are a few pictures that might help with your questions.  Yes I got the car re-aligned by Ford right after I installed the springs and Nurburgring rims (both were done at the same time period) which was back in October 2014, so it's been over two years since I've had an alignment.

13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

AJP turbo

Has to be rubbing the strut...your wheels are a bit wider....i thought stock was 8"

If offset number is the same and the wheel is .5" wide then the width is split evenly on both sides..

So your wheel is .5" wider and the offset is 10mm higher than stock then your setup would be about .5" closer to the strut..and if the tires are wider then add to that

You sure the offset is the same
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

pmezo33

Had the same exact thing happen with one of my old tires.  Rear toe wasn't aligned and I think the tire just caved in and failed.  Wasn't a rubbing or a suspension issue.  The tire looked exactly like yours.

Got new tires, got an alignment, and it never happened again.

ZSHO

The stock OEM-PP-Eagle F1's are a summer based soft compound tire with a short life span/expectancy and definitely got your moneys worth out of them and a bit surprised they lasted that long compared to mine which were shot at roughly 15k on them.
I think a nice wheel alignment is warranted annually in conjunction with rotating the tires every 7500 miles to keep them up to speed.
Best of luck on the new set of tires
The OEM rims are 20x8.  Z
http://www.originalwheels.com/ford-wheels/taurus2013rims.php

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Taurus&autoModClar=SHO&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=20&sortCode=59851&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Probably just failing tires as mentioned in above posts.  There is no reason this should be an alignment issue that you wouldn't have noticed driving down the road.  Get an alignment when you put on new tires, and lets see how far off your current alignment is from where it should be.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

66 Galaxie

Looks like to much toe.  Get it aligned when you get new tires.

'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

pejohnson

Thanks guys.  Definitely will have the car aligned when I get new tires.  Just wasn't sure if I had other issues that I need to take care of before dropped that kinda money on new shoes and then find out I screwed up the new tires. 

I never had any issues with the tires until late last year.  I'm wondering if some of my hard launches, compounded with excessive wheel hop has caused some misalignment in the suspension.  That would be my guess at this point.  Like I said earlier, I don't see any signs of rubbing anywhere on the strut towers or fender wells.

Phil