• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New ecoboost Flex Owner from Oklahoma

Started by mcrmb1, April 07, 2017, 07:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcrmb1

Well this is my first turbo 2010 Ford Flex i bought it about 2 months ago got a good deal on it i thought after a month water pump started seeping antifreeze $1200 dollars later drove it 3 days started smoking so now i need to replace the turbos.

If it wasn't for bad luck i would not have any at all.. 
2010 Ford Flex Limited 3.5L Eco-boost Upgraded Timing and water pump to 2012 version

SHOdded

Welcome to the community, mcrmb1, sorry to hear about these experiences :(  How many miles on your Flex?  What was the maintenance history?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mcrmb1

171K every service was done on time at dealership its bone stock other then the 2012 timing & water pump debating on what to do keep it stock or upgrade
2010 Ford Flex Limited 3.5L Eco-boost Upgraded Timing and water pump to 2012 version

SHOdded

Certainly tempting to upgrade to ATP turbos, it would lower the boost needed to create the same power.  OTOH, if you are not looking to get into "big" power, a tune + 3 bar MAP + colder TStat has been the way to go for most people.

I would highly recommend getting maintenance up to date first tho to make your decision easier.  Spark plugs, turbo piping, intercooler, PTU/RDU fluid, trans fluid, coolant (prob not for your flex), brake fluid, u name it, all due/overdue at this mileage.  If you do decide to "upgrade", use the Special Operating Conditions/Severe Duty schedule for maintenance.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mcrmb1

ALL services are up to date i changed all fluids, plugs, belt & tenser, Pvc, coil boots, and all filters and new Battery. My next thing was going to be some kind of catch can but looks like its going to be turbos i Guess all the chips off of the impeller went into the inter cooler so can i flush it out or do i need to add it to the list

FearlessAZ

Welcome to the forums! We definitely need some pictures!

Sorry to hear about the turbo problem. But your solution would depend on your budget. Most would say if you have the money for it, go for the ATP setup. Would not be fun to put OEM ones in only to change then out in a couple years to the EPP upgrades or the ATP upgrades. A good medium would be EPP upgraded turboes. Just all comes down to how quickly you want your wallet to dry out.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

Quote from: mcrmb1 on April 07, 2017, 08:28:52 AM
i Guess all the chips off of the impeller went into the inter cooler so can i flush it out or do i need to add it to the list
You will have to remove the intercooler from the car to flush it out properly.  Personally, I'd consider replacing it, as there is no way really to tell if the intercooler has also suffered damage internally.  If you could Xray it or get a thermal image, that would help.  The most practical solution is still replacement tho.

mcrmb1

Quote from: FearlessAZ on April 07, 2017, 08:41:03 AM
Welcome to the forums! We definitely need some pictures!

Sorry to hear about the turbo problem. But your solution would depend on your budget. Most would say if you have the money for it, go for the ATP setup. Would not be fun to put OEM ones in only to change then out in a couple years to the EPP upgrades or the ATP upgrades. A good medium would be EPP upgraded turboes. Just all comes down to how quickly you want your wallet to dry out.

i all ready have a Harley and 2 teenagers for that