• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hailstorm[emoji22]

Started by wraitherx, April 03, 2017, 05:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraitherx

So I had the unfortunate timing of getting caught in a hailstorm this past Friday. This is the first time in my many years of driving that I was caught in one and the first time in my many years of living in South VA where I've seen one. We started with bad weather that soon escalated to a tornado touching down within a 5 mile vicinity of where I live. Just crappy timing to be driving home from work. Needless to say the SHO managed to sustain some damage. Mostly cosmetic but over all I counted roughly about 16 dings mostly to the hood and roof but a couple on the driver side and trunk. The passenger side was pretty much untouched. The dents are no wider than the size of a quarter.
So my question is for anyone that's been through this is whether I should call those "dent pull" companies or whether I should bring it to a body shop. I called and got quoted by a dent pull company and they said 1k so I'm assuming if they are quoting me that much the body shop will be more. I'm just curious cause I'm more inclined to take it to a body shop because I know they'll get it out 100% but the dent pull place may not get it to 100%. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

StealBlueSho

Insurance should cover it? PDR (paintless dent repair) are generally good, but I was always told if there was a crease in the dent, paint was always required.

I would just for SIG get a quote from both... wouldn't hurt..

SHOdded

Can you post pics?  How deep are these dents, and how far apart?  Unseen, the quote might be higher to cover their bases.  The body shop may say the panels need replacement (I don't think so, but they might).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wraitherx

Quote from: StealBlueSho on April 03, 2017, 06:50:34 AM
Insurance should cover it? PDR (paintless dent repair) are generally good, but I was always told if there was a crease in the dent, paint was always required.

Yeah, I'm sure insurance will cover it. I've just heard mixed reviews about PDR and as anal about my cats as I am just want to get the best outcome. Lol

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

StealBlueSho

Quote from: wraitherx on April 03, 2017, 07:18:50 AM

Yeah, I'm sure insurance will cover it. I've just heard mixed reviews about PDR and as anal about my cats as I am just want to get the best outcome. Lol

Then go to a professional body shop. PDR is great for door dings or an concentrated spot. If you have multi panel damage, a good body shop is a must.

wraitherx

Quote from: SHOdded on April 03, 2017, 06:50:43 AM
Can you post pics?  How deep are these dents, and how far apart?  Unseen, the quote might be higher to cover their bases.  The body shop may say the panels need replacement (I don't think so, but they might).

I'll try and get some pics later. They may not even show unless I get the right angle and right lighting because the metallic flake kinda throws off the reflection in certain angles. There are three on the front portion of the roof line about 4-5" apart from each other. One smack in the middle and then one towards the antenna. The hood has I up front and 3 towards the back. 2 on the top of the trunk, one caught the pillar above the rear drivers door as well as the chrome molding and then two on the front drivers side fender and on in the door just beneath the chrome molding. No windows broken and none on the passengers side as I was next to a semi. As far as depth, I couldn't even speculate unless I got something to check and one look to be creased.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

wraitherx

Quote from: StealBlueSho on April 03, 2017, 07:22:48 AM
Quote from: wraitherx on April 03, 2017, 07:18:50 AM

Then go to a professional body shop. PDR is great for door dings or an concentrated spot. If you have multi panel damage, a good body shop is a must.

More than likely that'll be my route. I was just curious as to what people have done. Sucks though. Knowing that you are completely helpless all I could do when I seen the first chunk of hail was shake my head and sigh and pray that it didn't destroy my windshield.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

Quote from: wraitherx on April 03, 2017, 07:23:58 AM
I'll try and get some pics later. They may not even show unless I get the right angle and right lighting because the metallic flake kinda throws off the reflection in certain angles.
Need to take off your sunglasses and/or get high intensity lighting LOL!  But yeah, the metallic flakes make for good camouflage.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wraitherx

Quote from: SHOdded on April 03, 2017, 09:37:25 AM
Quote from: wraitherx on April 03, 2017, 07:23:58 AM
I'll try and get some pics later. They may not even show unless I get the right angle and right lighting because the metallic flake kinda throws off the reflection in certain angles.
Need to take off your sunglasses and/or get high intensity lighting LOL!  But yeah, the metallic flakes make for good camouflage.
Lol.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

ZSHO

That really sux brother and hopefully a dent puller can alleviate some of mother nature's fury and X2 on pic's,best of luck to ya. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

wraitherx

Quote from: ZSHO on April 03, 2017, 10:59:33 AM
That really sux brother and hopefully a dent puller can alleviate some of mother nature's fury and X2 on pic's,best of luck to ya. Z
Thanks Z. I've got an estimate lined up with this body shop I've been dealing with for many years so we'll see from there. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. Hopefully I can get them to show.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

ZSHO

Quote from: wraitherx on April 03, 2017, 12:31:25 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on April 03, 2017, 10:59:33 AM
Thanks Z. I've got an estimate lined up with this body shop I've been dealing with for many years so we'll see from there. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. Hopefully I can get them to show.

Send me a pm with any csv files you may have and will make sure to post em up for ya.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|