• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gauges

Started by geswek, July 29, 2013, 07:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrylu

Quote from: Scott13SHO on July 30, 2013, 09:28:01 AM
I'd love to see a  A pillar gauge pod available for our cars....can't figure out why no one offers one.

I'd make a wild guess that since there is an air bag that deploys behind that panel, manufacturers are going to be super cautious about mass marketing any modified panels that might have to be tested extensively for government approvals and or leave them open to liabilities in crashes.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

geswek

Quote from: FracaSHO on July 30, 2013, 10:22:47 AM
Keep us informed. I would be interested in purchasing one. Maybe we could get a group but going.

I spoke to him about that and he seemed interested given it's not difficult.

Cost can be a huge factor; I'm already $140 in for second pillar and gauge pod--grant it you could simply rip your factory one off and send it in and only pay $40 + labor to do the bondo work. Of course, you'd have to get it upholstered.

I think it's going to end up being a 300-400 job when I am done.

bpd1151

Quote from: Larrylu on July 30, 2013, 10:46:44 AM
Quote from: Scott13SHO on July 30, 2013, 09:28:01 AMI'd love to see a  A pillar gauge pod available for our cars....can't figure out why no one offers one.

I'd make a wild guess that since there is an air bag that deploys behind that panel, manufacturers are going to be super cautious about mass marketing any modified panels that might have to be tested extensively for government approvals and or leave them open to liabilities in crashes.

Huh? Whaddya talk'n about Larrylu?

There's an air bag behind what panel?

Certainly not the A-Pillar :nono:

There's definitely NO air bag behind that.

Quote from: geswek on July 30, 2013, 11:10:18 AM
Quote from: FracaSHO on July 30, 2013, 10:22:47 AMKeep us informed. I would be interested in purchasing one. Maybe we could get a group but going.

I spoke to him about that and he seemed interested given it's not difficult.

Cost can be a huge factor; I'm already $140 in for second pillar and gauge pod.....

I think it's going to end up being a 300-400 job when I am done.

Storm, the cost range(s) you quoted are relatively inline with what I paid if it's of any solace to you?

For me, the upholstery work alone, was slightly more than the fabrication of the pod itself.

So for those of you truly considering the implementation of an A-Pillar Pod, if Storm is able to work his magic, understand that the $300-$400 price range would be merely for the A-Pillar Pod itself, sans any gauges.

Gauges, depending on type/design/mfg'er can & will likely run you an ADDT'L[/b] $50 on the low end, to $200 or so on the high end (each).....

Now you added another $100-$400 dollars ON TOP OF the pod itself.

Therefore, keep in mind, that you're likely to be looking at anywhere from $400 on the low end, to $800 on the high end, for a complete product that includes gauges.

Alright, total product cost(s)...... check.

Labor?

Ha! Certainly you didn't forget about the cost(s) involved to install that nifty new A-Pillar Pod now did you?

Given hourly labor rates vary across the country (generally $50-$90 p/hr) if memory serves me correctly, it took myself & my pal approximately 3hrs to run all the wiring, & to make all the necessary connections under the hood, etc. before it was up & running.

This is assuming you're lucky enough to find a shop that will accept doing the install in the 1st place.

We've had some members (here & elsewhere) that ran into some "challenges" when it came to sourcing an installer.

All of the above is NOT meant in anyway to discourage. Quite the opposite actually.

I present all of these points (and associated cost projections) so that each of you can realistically get a grasp on what the total project will likely run, so that you can each make the necessary financial preparations to make it become a reality in each of your own vehicles.

I know, at least for me, money doesn't come as freely as it seems it may for others, and it's necessary for me to budget out each mod, as it relates to all of my other obligations at home.

Good luck everyone!

:popcornandbeer:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Larrylu

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 30, 2013, 12:06:51 PM
Quote from: Larrylu on July 30, 2013, 10:46:44 AM
Quote from: Scott13SHO on July 30, 2013, 09:28:01 AMI'd love to see a  A pillar gauge pod available for our cars....can't figure out why no one offers one.

Huh? Whaddya talk'n about Larrylu?

There's an air bag behind what panel?

Certainly not the A-Pillar :nono:

There's definitely NO air bag behind that.

Sorry for the misinformation. In my peeling and poking to chase and locate wiring I thought I spotted what I took to be a very narrow version of an airbag behind the pillar. I have a lot of experience with the internal seat mounted ones but now they are proliferating and showing up in a lot of new places. I'm pretty sure that there is one not far away under the headliner over the door glass so it was not a stretch for me to miss-see. But in any case....my apologies and thanks Mike for the correction.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

geswek

Just FYI;

My speed shot who did my springs and wheels quoted me $1570 to install and purchase my Evo gauges--that is (1) Boost, (1) Oil Pressure, (1) AFR, and (2) EGT. Includes the oil filter plate for sensing.

You can use this as an example too.

Scott13SHO

Quote from: geswek on July 30, 2013, 01:38:27 PM
Just FYI;

My speed shot who did my springs and wheels quoted me $1570 to install and purchase my Evo gauges--that is (1) Boost, (1) Oil Pressure, (1) AFR, and (2) EGT. Includes the oil filter plate for sensing.

You can use this as an example too.

Man I need a second job! LOL :)

Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

geswek

Quote from: Scott13SHO on July 30, 2013, 01:39:30 PM
Man I need a second job! LOL :)

Just do what I do, don't get re-married and don't have kids.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

jomc111

This is why I am happy I am good at working with electrical and mechanical stuff.  Paying for installation gets pricy quick
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

bpd1151

Yea, I'll agree, having that forte to complete your own install, definitely helps quite a bit. But you still have the costs of product fabrication still.

In my case, my install cost(s) were below average due to the fact that i've developed an incredible repoir with my mechanic over an almost 10yr period.

He knows i'm a weekend gear head & allows me to assist with installs at his shop. Unusual in this day & age, but as he explained one day "you're by no means the typical customer. I enjoy working with you cuz you stay out of my way when necessary, and you have an incredible, underdeveloped skill talent."

He also said that the work I bring him, is refreshing, as it's "fun stuff" that rejuvenates him, & gives a break from the monotony of day to day routine repairs.

mjhpadi

Amen, Mike you can't understate the value of having a good relationship with your mechanic.  I have a great relationship with my Ford dealer, and they still passed on installing my gauges.  I am totally surprised that I haven't been able to find a mechanic around here willing to install or help me install my gauges (once I decide on which ones I'm getting), so having someone who is willing to assist you and whose work you can trust is almost priceless.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

jomc111

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 30, 2013, 05:13:17 PM
Yea, I'll agree, having that forte to complete your own install, definitely helps quite a bit. But you still have the costs of product fabrication still.

In my case, my install cost(s) were below average due to the fact that i've developed an incredible repoir with my mechanic over an almost 10yr period.

He knows i'm a weekend gear head & allows me to assist with installs at his shop. Unusual in this day & age, but as he explained one day "you're by no means the typical customer. I enjoy working with you cuz you stay out of my way when necessary, and you have an incredible, underdeveloped skill talent."

He also said that the work I bring him, is refreshing, as it's "fun stuff" that rejuvenates him, & gives a break from the monotony of day to day routine repairs.

Your lucky to have a mechanic like that. my backup is my uncle who is a mechanic at a ford dealer. He is always pissed when I need his help or have to pick his brain.

Has anyone looked at finding a  pillar pod for another vehicle that is similar may be easyier to modify to make work possible cheeper
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

geswek

I wouldn't be paying for installs if I didn't live here--my house/garage/lift/tools are all back in Texas.

So, instead I pay people--but of course I have a sparkly personality that tends to get me what I want, kind like tits on a woman. What can I say, I'm good in business.

:biggrin:

Quote from: jomc111 on July 30, 2013, 05:52:42 PMYour lucky to have a mechanic like that. my backup is my uncle who is a mechanic at a ford dealer. He is always pissed when I need his help or have to pick his brain.

Don't be so hard on him; I'm the same way. Don't ask me a f'n thing about IT--I do it for 14 hours a day, every day, I have no interest in helping you fix your s*** or tell you what computer is the right one to buy.

All my friends know better than to call me. OH, damn, yeah I'm a dick, ass, arrogant s***--pick your word.

:)

bpd1151

Good Lord Storm.....

Language. Language. Language.

geswek

Oh dang.

Sorry, won't happen again Officer.

Sent from a mobile, I think.

jomc111

You have tainted this forum with foul language.  :bangin: You should be ashamed
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st