• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

dcmartinpc - 2010 SHO Build

Started by dcmartinpc, March 12, 2017, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcmartinpc

I have a few other threads going with information, but wanted to centralize everything here.

I have a 2010 Taurus SHO (Non-PP) with 62k miles in Red Candy Metallic with Black interior.  It has the following mods:

3 BAR MAP sensor
Motorcraft SP-534 Spark plugs at .030"
170 Reische Thermostat
K&N replacement panel filter
Stainless Works catless downpipes
Crash's triple gauge pod with dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges
SCT Livewire TS+

Tuned by AJP Turbo

The catless downpipes are on order and should be here in 3-4 weeks.  I am on my second revision of my 89 octane 3 bar tune with AJP Turbo and I have been very pleased so far.  I only have dual gauges and I am torn as to the 3rd gauge I should install in my pod. I have considered an analog boost gauge or an EGT.  Any other recommended gauges on the ecoboost platform?  Any current experience with the PLX DM100 Touch OBDII gauges?  They look very interesting.  I like that they are OLED and can be customized.

Thanks!

Don

SHOdded

Pretty solid build.  Looking forward to updates!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

chasingtones

Nice mods. Your ride looks great!

derfdog15

I've heard mixed reviews on PLX gauges, but other than that, it may be an issue running two Aeroforce OBDII gauges and trying to get an OBDII source for the PLX as well.

I would go with a basic boost gauge, with peak recall, or a dedicated wideband O2 gauge. Just my .02
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

limited02

Nice build!  Why 89 octane and not 91/93? 

dcmartinpc

89 was for a "In case I can't find 93 while traveling" tune.

Just moved to the first 93 octane tune over the weekend.  Excited to see where we go from here!

Don

dcmartinpc

My downpipes arrived today!  I should be able to get them installed this weekend!

In regards to gauges,  there seems to be some interference when both the SCT Livewire and the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges are connected.  It is odd, and seems to mostly just be the fuel pressure reading, but enough to make me question the other readings when they are both connected. 

With that in mind, since our engines already have wideband O2 sensors and I can read AFR with my SCT Livewire, I think I am leaning towards dedicated gauges for Pyro/EGT (1 for each bank) and boost/vac from Autometer.

Any reasons I should consider an AFR gauge instead?  Or should I forego EGT and do boost/vac, oil temp, and another gauge?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback!  Learning what I need to pay attention to on modern vehicles had been a education :)  It was so easy when it was oil pressure and water temp....  There has been a steep learning curve coming from carbureted muscle cars!

Thanks everyone!

Don

AJP turbo

I always liked boost, wideband and oil temp although in my sho i didnt do the oil temp.

Do no use that aeroforce when you log for actual tuning...if you want to other times thats fine but id prefer you not use that when logging and i wouldnt have it connected when you flash...always remember to have a charged battery and lights off when you flash

I had a y" splitter that had a pigtail so you can run obd gauges and hook up your sct device but its not a good idea i think to risk interference in the obd data port
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

dcmartinpc

Agreed.

Anytime I am logging or flashing all pigtails and splitters are bypassed and the SCT is plugged in directly.  It worried me too much to have both plugged in and corrupting the ECU or getting invalid data.

Don

dcmartinpc

After some recommendations and more research, I think I am going to go with:

Boost/Vac
Oil Temp
Wideband AFR

I am looking at Autometer Elite gauges.  It appears the teal color option pretty closely matches the 2010 dash lighting.

Any other recommendations of either other Autometer series gauges or another brand?

Thanks!

Don

derfdog15

Quote from: dcmartinpc on March 22, 2017, 12:13:58 PM
After some recommendations and more research, I think I am going to go with:

Boost/Vac
Oil Temp
Wideband AFR

I am looking at Autometer Elite gauges.  It appears the teal color option pretty closely matches the 2010 dash lighting.

Any other recommendations of either other Autometer series gauges or another brand?

Thanks!

Don

I'm a big fan of autometer pro comp gauges, or sport comp gauges. Prosport gauges, black background with white illumation match the SHO pretty well also (AJPTurbos avatar is prosport gauges)

I had prosport electric boost and wideband in my SHO and they worked reasonably well. I have been running pro-comp autometer gauges in my 03 mustang for ~4 years, without issue, I put iceburg blue LEDs in them so match the cobra gauge cluster that I installed. For that car I have oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, trans temp, boost/vac, and an aeroforce gauge that I use for my wideband and for fuel pressure as the second reading.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

dcmartinpc

I definitely like the sport comp II but they don't have any color option for the dial color except for white.  The 2010 SHO has a teal backlight for all of the gauges and I would like those to match.  The issue I have with the Elite gauges, even though they can change their backlight color,  is that the Wideband gauge is completely digital, and it would be nice for all 3 gauges to match visually...

Don

dcmartinpc

Here are a couple mock ups with both style gauges.....  Tough call.....  Imagine the Elite Gauges with teal backlighting that matches the 2010 SHO...  The Sport Comp are White LED.  Any thoughts?

Elite

Sport Comp II

Don

derfdog15

Is it all teal on the 2010 SHO? IIRC the SHO I had was blueish with headlights but white all the rest of the time, I wired the gauge illumantion to be permanent as well. it looked pretty good.

Any autometer gauge that comes a socket for a bulb, you can put an iceburg blue (6000k or so) LED in place that will match a bluish teal backlit cluster pretty well.

dcmartinpc

I will verify the color in the morning, but I am almost certain it is teal all the time.

Don