• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Filter Debate

Started by lamrith, February 22, 2017, 02:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

So new '13 sho.  I get 1st oil change free from the dealer, but I like to keep basic maintenance items onhand and buy when deals come up..

I saw this filter mentioned for the SHO. Motorcraft Fl-500
I am guessing that is the original oem filter, are there other filters you guys use and trust?  this is my 1st turbo car, What do I need to look for in a filter beside it just matching how it mounts? anti drainback valves, etc?  I see place list these as fitting the vehicle also, any reason not to use them?:
CHAMPION LABS PH500 Info
FVP R7502
PRIME GUARD POF2500
WIX R84502
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

derfdog15

I believe Oil Filters are 'generally' created relatively equal, however most people recommend either sticking to a Motorcraft filter, as it is what Ford designed for (and the oil change requirements are based on testing of the OEM Motorcraft FL-500s as well as Ford Semi-synthetic 5w30 breakdown/contamination times -- with some margin added in).

Of the other filters you listed I have heard good things about WIX, have not heard of the others. Some people also like FRAM filters. Others like to upgrade fluids to full synthetic (AmSoil or similar) and use filters made by the oil manufacturer.

I think any filter made for the specific application should be fine, it just depends how often you plan to service the car, etc. Dealers will always use a Motorcraft Filter (Assuming they actually change the filter -- Some don't because the tech is too lazy to drop the belly pan and remove it - THIS IS A MAJOR NO-NO, ALWAYS check that is has been done -- I mark my filter prior to oil change, and crawl under the car when it is returned, if I pay someone to do my oil changes).

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Motorcraft filter is always the first choice, they are well built and highly suitable esp for the EB platform.  They get oil to the engine quickly on startup, and that is all the more important to a TC engine.  I MIGHT consider one of the brands in the OP's post, but only if for some reason I could not get a hold of the MC filter.  I believe they do sell them a little cheaper in 12 packs as well.
MOTORCRAFT FL500S {#AA5Z6714A, FL500SB12}

If you really want to try hiperformance filters, you should go with Mobil1 EP, or K&N, or Royal Purple, or Amsoil.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

All i ever use are Motorcraft filters.  Up to 128k miles and still running like the day i got it (at about 40k).

lamrith

Thanks guys!  Rockauto had the rest on closeout, but I will stick OEM. 
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

pmezo33

Now when it comes to oil, you'll probably get a lot of opinions.  I use Mobil 1.  People like Amsoil.  Motorcraft synthetic blend seems to be well regarded, but not sure I'd use it in these engines. I've used it in other non-turbo cars and never had a problem with it.  I've always gone full synthetic with this car since I've had it.  Change it every 5k miles like clockwork.

lamrith

My last car was a STSV, Mobile1 was all that was recommended for that too due to boosted application, so I will stick with it for the SHO.

Picked my SHO up from a gm dealer of a local conglomerate.  They changed oil, wondering now what they used as they do not have a Ford dealer in the family down where the car was...  I will climb under there next weekend and see what filter is on it as a clue to what they used.

Night Hawk

Ive had pretty good luck with the Mobil-1 filters. FWIW
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

SHOdded

Quote from: lamrith on February 22, 2017, 04:51:55 PM
Picked my SHO up from a gm dealer of a local conglomerate.  They changed oil, wondering now what they used as they do not have a Ford dealer in the family down where the car was...  I will climb under there next weekend and see what filter is on it as a clue to what they used.
Wouldn't be surprised if it is an AC Delco.  That's what our Fusion Sport had on it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

you can get a peek at it just by popping the hood and looking right underneath the heat shield on the exhaust manifold actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Linemonkey

When I bought my 13, used, it was from a Dodge dealership. I immediately changed the oil after I got it. Low and behold, there was some Mopar oil filter on it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

MiWiAu

I switched back to the OEM filter (from Amsoil) after reading passionate replies regarding the Ford filter.

On a side note, is it normal for Rock to just toss loose filters in the box? I ordered two and there was no packaging for the filters. They were just loose in the box with the other stuff I ordered.

I know the cardboard filter boxes aren't dirt proof, but I'm overly paranoid about them getting contaminanted from laying loose in a warehouse somewhere. Spiders, dirt, cigarette butts, etc...

2013 XSport

pmezo33

Quote from: MiWiAu on February 22, 2017, 10:42:00 PM
I switched back to the OEM filter (from Amsoil) after reading passionate replies regarding the Ford filter.

On a side note, is it normal for Rock to just toss loose filters in the box? I ordered two and there was no packaging for the filters. They were just loose in the box with the other stuff I ordered.

I know the cardboard filter boxes aren't dirt proof, but I'm overly paranoid about them getting contaminanted from laying loose in a warehouse somewhere. Spiders, dirt, cigarette butts, etc...

Did you order at regular price or did you get them while they were they were on "wholesaler closeout"?

Every motorcraft filter i've gotten from rockauto have been in original packaging and I've ordered a lot of them over the years.  I have ordered some of their stuff on "wholesaler closeout" at a discounted price and it's always come in weird packaging or no packaging at all.

MiWiAu

Quote from: pmezo33 on February 22, 2017, 11:06:15 PM
Quote from: MiWiAu on February 22, 2017, 10:42:00 PM

Did you order at regular price or did you get them while they were they were on "wholesaler closeout"?

Every motorcraft filter i've gotten from rockauto have been in original packaging and I've ordered a lot of them over the years.  I have ordered some of their stuff on "wholesaler closeout" at a discounted price and it's always come in weird packaging or no packaging at all.

I'd have to double check,  but I'm 99% sure I paid normal price. Not a huge deal, but I was a little surprised. They're in ziplock bags now sitting on the shelf in my garage. :)

2013 XSport

jims2015

2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods