• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil Return Bolt Size

Started by polskifacet, February 07, 2017, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Hey guys,
Rear turbo leaking more than normal (LOL). I bought new gaskets for the oil return but don't have time to get under and check what size the bolts are so i can get some swivel sockets to get bolts on the back turbo as the down pipe is smack dab in the middle in the way. Anyone know the socket size?
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

pmezo33

Quote from: polskifacet on February 07, 2017, 11:19:14 AM
Hey guys,
Rear turbo leaking more than normal (LOL). I bought new gaskets for the oil return but don't have time to get under and check what size the bolts are so i can get some swivel sockets to get bolts on the back turbo as the down pipe is smack dab in the middle in the way. Anyone know the socket size?

You need to replace the whole line, not just the gasket.  They've updated those return lines about 4 or 5 times already.  When you buy the line, they come with a new gasket.  And I had to drop the cat to be able to access and pull that rear return line.  It was a real b*tch to pull out.  You're going to need a lot of leverage.

As for your question regarding the bolt size, I forget the specific size. 

polskifacet

Started leaking after motor replacement so tube is probably fine, they sell just the gasket.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

pmezo33

Did ford replace it with a new one or did you have a used one installed or yours rebuilt?  I guess there's no harm in trying the gasket first.  Those lines are cheap enough where i'd want to know i have the most recently updated line on the car if this were the issue. 

You sure it's the return line too?  I had leaky turbos until i swapped out the supply lines.  Tried the returns first and it didn't help.  Just something to consider.

polskifacet

I'm sure they reused what was there and only poped a gasket on but it was loose and i tightened the bolts, only made it worse. Doesn't seem to be the supply but of course a possibility.

polskifacet

Replaced the gasket on the rear turbo. Looks like the dealer reused the old one. Went for a drive and looks dry. I also tightened the banjo bolt on the front turbo about 1/8 turn. It was possible to change the gasket with PPE downpipes. Bolts should be 10 torqued NM.

Return bolts: 8mm
Banjo bolt: 14mm

polskifacet

Update: Still had burning oil smell. Return was still dry but there was a different source which it think is the real source. I think that on the pressure side of the rear turbo, the hose clamp was a little loose and the retainer clip that holds the clamp to the pipe kind of pulled it away from the turbo housing. I think oil would pool around the connection and when I would go into boost it would squirt it through. That said I got a little freaked out that a turbo seal was leaking but I checked all the other piping and tried to drain the CAC but there was minimal oil everywhere else. Fingers crossed, car dealers suck!! ( I also found the noise maker bracket was cracked and crappily crazy glued and gorilla glued, bunch of hacks.)

ZSHO

Quote from: polskifacet on February 13, 2017, 10:06:08 PM
Update: Still had burning oil smell. Return was still dry but there was a different source which it think is the real source. I think that on the pressure side of the rear turbo, the hose clamp was a little loose and the retainer clip that holds the clamp to the pipe kind of pulled it away from the turbo housing. I think oil would pool around the connection and when I would go into boost it would squirt it through. That said I got a little freaked out that a turbo seal was leaking but I checked all the other piping and tried to drain the CAC but there was minimal oil everywhere else. Fingers crossed, car dealers suck!! ( I also found the noise maker bracket was cracked and crappily crazy glued and gorilla glued, bunch of hacks.)
I would also check to see if the red seal inside the noise maker is possibly damaged or torn creating a boost leak.  Z
It might be a great time to do some Data logs my friend.  Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Is the turbo still leaking?

I forget, did you ever replace the supply lines?  New line, new crush washer, and new banjo bolt?

polskifacet

Quote from: pmezo33 on February 13, 2017, 10:40:07 PM
Is the turbo still leaking?

I forget, did you ever replace the supply lines?  New line, new crush washer, and new banjo bolt?

No I did not. No need as they are not leaking.

polskifacet

I would also check to see if the red seal inside the noise maker is possibly damaged or torn creating a boost leak.  Z
[/quote]
I also replaced the line under the engine which has been expanding from oil and popping off for other people as mine was pretty much dead. I thought about that too Z. Will log again when I have some time after I confirm all these items are indeed fixed.

ZSHO

Quote from: polskifacet on February 13, 2017, 11:48:40 PM
I also replaced the line under the engine which has been expanding from oil and popping off for other people as mine was pretty much dead. I thought about that too Z. Will log again when I have some time after I confirm all these items are indeed fixed.
[/quote]I presume your referring to the waste gate hoses correct? Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

Yes sir, I didn't know that is what that hose was for or I would have changed/clamped it a long time ago.

ZSHO

Quote from: polskifacet on February 14, 2017, 01:45:10 PM
Yes sir, I didn't know that is what that hose was for or I would have changed/clamped it a long time ago.
That most likely is your culprit right there. Z

polskifacet

You guys know if there is access to the turbo feed line to inspect it etc? I cant see anything from the top or bottom. Bought a little snake camera that will come in a couple days.