• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Meth failsafe

Started by 10bird, February 06, 2017, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10bird

How are people setting up their fail safes? I have read where it is suggested to cut timing and/or boost in case of a failure.

djxfactor

2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

Gjkrisa

I'd say most likely cutting boost but if you have a tuner I'd suspect you could talk to them.
Ive never played with meth but speculating until a real user answers.

Do you have a meth kit? What brand you go with?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

10bird

I don't have meth yet but I am currently talking to Alky about getting one.  I am trying to gather all information I can about it.

J-Will

nitrous user typically shut off the spark.  I'd probably look to do that if its possible.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Frozen Blue

On my Focus ST I had an Aquamist WMI kit. I had it set up to cut power to the EBC. That would drop the boost to wastegate spring pressure only. Worked pretty slick.

The SHO's EBC is right on top of the manifold. Should be easy to come up with something.
2013 SHO non-pp
3 bar Map, 160° tstat
Powerstop Z23 rotors/pads
LMS v10

Sinister-CO

I have a snow system on my GN and run their safe injection system too. It's used to kill the boost on my car. It powers a solenoid so maybe that power wire could be used to trigger a timing reduction. I'm not sure if that's something that can be done on these cars either way.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2015 Explorer Sport
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
2003 V-Rod - Black/Silver Anniversary Edition
1987 Grand National - High 11's at altitude

AJP turbo

There are many ways to "kill" power with the OEM ECU without extra parts and wiring.....I wouldn't want it that way although that seems to be what's going on now...I would want something more natural and subtle....As in, if the meth fails, your car goes back to operating like a car without meth and power out put gets reduced...I wouldn't want an all out loss of power. You might think something is seriously wrong when all that happened is your meth stopped flowing
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Sinister-CO

My boost drops to about 12 psi which is fine for the timing it runs and pump gas. Better a loss of power than a blown head gasket or worse.

2015 Explorer Sport
2004 Explorer Sport Trac

AJP turbo

Quote from: Sinister-CO on February 07, 2017, 10:45:27 PM
My boost drops to about 12 psi which is fine for the timing it runs and pump gas. Better a loss of power than a blown head gasket or worse.

So are you saying it runs the timing it ran on meth but stock boost?...that would work but all the logs ive seen with failed meth spray uses the knock sensor to pull a ton of spark and sometimes it looks like thats not even enough

Its apparent to me that some tuners dont know how to add spark properly so they do it globally which is a poor mans way to do it
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Sinister-CO

This is on my GN, not the ecoboost. The timing is setup for meth so it has additional timing added. It will pull timing based on the knock sensor, but not enough and not quickly enough. That's why I have the safe injection as well.

2015 Explorer Sport
2004 Explorer Sport Trac