• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

geswek Photo Shoot - Saint Nicholas Coal Breaker

Started by geswek, July 27, 2013, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geswek

The Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company's old Saint Nicholas breaker was constructed in Gilberton PA, just outside of Mahanoy City. Clearing of the land began in 1930, then construction on the breaker started in 1931 with the plant opening on September 16, 1932. With 20 miles of railroad track laid down and 1.5 miles of conveyors, the breaker was one of the two largest in the world in 1938 (the other was located at Locust Summit, demolished in 2002). Half of the surrounding community of Suffolk had to be relocated to provide enough of the 10 square miles of land needed. The layout of the facility was split so that two halves could operate independently of each other, enabling the breaker to produce a total of 12,500 tons of coal a day.

The St. Nicholas central breaker was connected to surrounding collieries in the area, and supplied steam to these facilities, eliminating the need for wasteful boiler houses. The coal being sent to St. Nick's was first rough cleaned and crushed at each of the ten satellite plants, then shipped via railroad car to the central inbound storage yard, which had a capacity to hold 85 loaded cars. Once the raw coal was dumped at one end, it moved along the conveyor at 600 feet per minute, and it only took 12 minutes to pass through the many processes of the entire breaker. The finished coal was dumped into a tilting box car loader and sent to the outbound storage yars, which had the capacity to hold 885 loaded cars for shipment to consumers.

The breaker ceased operations in 1963 when Reading Anthracite Company shifted their mining operations, and constructed the "new" St. Nicholas breaker near Minersville PA. The new breaker subsequently closed in 2003.

http://www.opacity.us/site89_old_saint_nicholas_coal_breaker.htm

Link to geswek shoot; https://goo.gl/ubjqyf

Travel time; 4 hours round-trip

geswek

Thanks.

I had to re-upload; damn I hate Picasa.

I need to move my photos to my domain and just build my photo gallery, I'm procrastinating.

mjhpadi

Wish you would have told me you were going there, I could have met up with you....not too far from my home town....less then an hour drive.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

geswek

You're in PA?

I didn't know that LOL.

How far are you from Bethlehem Steel?

I need to get a shoot there before they tear the place down.

mjhpadi

Quote from: geswek on July 27, 2013, 09:52:05 PM
You're in PA?

I didn't know that LOL.

How far are you from Bethlehem Steel?

I need to get a shoot there before they tear the place down.
Not sure which one you mean....I live in Lewisburg...home of Bucknell University and the maximum security Federal Correctional Facility where Jimmy Hoffa was incarcerated.  There is a Bethlehem Steel in Williamsport (home of Little League) but it's still in use.  I few places that would make good shots, is the old cement plant in Allentown, well, actually it's in Bath at Dutch Springs which is a great dive spot and large lake, both would make good backgrounds and also the football stadium at Bucknell.  Also, the prison would make for some great shots, but you're not allowed to take photos of the prison.  But they do have a great covered bridge on the property that would make for some nice shots and you won't get in trouble...besides, I think I have enough friends to get the OK to shoot at the bridge.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)

geswek

Quote from: mjhpadi on July 27, 2013, 10:10:54 PM
Not sure which one you mean....I live in Lewisburg...home of Bucknell University and the maximum security Federal Correctional Facility where Jimmy Hoffa was incarcerated.  There is a Bethlehem Steel in Williamsport (home of Little League) but it's still in use.  I few places that would make good shots, is the old cement plant in Allentown, well, actually it's in Bath at Dutch Springs which is a great dive spot and large lake, both would make good backgrounds and also the football stadium at Bucknell.  Also, the prison would make for some great shots, but you're not allowed to take photos of the prison.  But they do have a great covered bridge on the property that would make for some nice shots and you won't get in trouble...besides, I think I have enough friends to get the OK to shoot at the bridge.

It may be in use; buddy told me there is some steel plant out by Nazareth that would be sick to shoot at.

I'm up for anything; just give me notice and I can meet up with you--I love shooting.

It's just a hobby, I'm not an expert or good persay; I don't do it to make a living so it makes it a lot funner for me. :)

SoCalSHO

Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

geswek

Thanks; that was a completely random shot.

I wanted that look, but there was too much cruddy coal all over place for me to want to lay down or get my camera close. So I hovered, aimed, and hoped for best. Out of the 4 shots I did, this one was pretty much right on how I wanted it.

mjhpadi

If you want to put your car underwater...I could get some great shots, we have a bunch of underwater camera equipment...it would make a great shoot in Dutch Springs...by the sunken helicopter at 45 feet...however, I don't think it would do much to help the car...LOL

Sorry, I'm just being silly, I do like doing UW photo's better at it then on land. I will give you a heads up the next time I am headed to Allentown and maybe we can meet up.

geswek

Quote from: mjhpadi on July 28, 2013, 01:45:51 AM
If you want to put your car underwater...I could get some great shots, we have a bunch of underwater camera equipment...it would make a great shoot in Dutch Springs...by the sunken helicopter at 45 feet...however, I don't think it would do much to help the car...LOL

Sorry, I'm just being silly, I do like doing UW photo's better at it then on land. I will give you a heads up the next time I am headed to Allentown and maybe we can meet up.

Sounds good.

Weekends are better for me, I'm all over place during week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SHOdded

Trains ... coal mines/plants ... can't wait to see what's up next at bat!  Glad you've captured quite a bit of Americana along the way :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

geswek

Quote from: SHOdded on July 28, 2013, 01:15:34 PM
Trains ... coal mines/plants ... can't wait to see what's up next at bat!  Glad you've captured quite a bit of Americana along the way :)

Thanks.

I'm heading to Pittsburg in few months to shoot at this place and see some mates in the burg.

http://www.opacity.us/site235_carrie_blast_furnace.htm