• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MyCal Stage 4+ 2012 SHO

Started by DJE624, July 27, 2013, 08:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJE624

My initial response after a short ride was favorable.  After a few tests with Torque Pro, I'm not so sure now.  It does move out as good as the Stage 4 SCT tune out of the hole to 60.  Best 0-60 today was 5.47 compared to the 5.45 I had timed with the SCT Tune.  But, it was also 15-20 degrees cooler today than when I did the SCT test.  My 1/8 time was about a second slower.  Don't understand that.  Could have been me.  My high boost today was 13 vs. 14 with the SCT.  They may have dropped it down a pound to cover the extended boost curve.  I was expecting very noticeable performance gains and haven't gotten them, yet.   I'll give it a while.  I don't think I tested the SCT tune for a week or so after I loaded it. 

mjhpadi

Hmmm, interesting...I would think about contacting LMS and discussing it with them...maybe they can adjust the tune for improved performance, since you know the numbers from the old tune.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

I will try to run some more tests tomorrow.  Then Monday I'll try to see what they can do. 

DJE624

I'm sorry I have been ranting so much. 

ecoboostsho

Have you scanned it at all? What kind of knock are you getting?
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

Milhouse86

That sucks. It was definitely put out there as an improvement. Looks like not so much.

Brucelinc

Dave, does Torque Pro typically show a bit slower times than reality?   Based on magazine tests, a stock SHO is usually around 5.2-5.4 0-60.  I would expect you to be in the mid 4s with a tune.  Not terribly scientific, but using a hand held stopwatch, I clock 0-60 in the 4.5 range with my wife watching the speedometer and operating the stopwatch.  I know TSS is in that range, too.  Not sure what method he uses. Of course, lots of things impact performance such as altitude, temperature and even your car's mileage. 

I still don't know quite what to think about the 4+ tune and MyCal.  Unless I can get some real evidence that the "new" 4+ is better (or even different) than the "old" 4+, I think I will stick with what I have and be happy. 

DJE624

From what I have heard, the torque pro may have slightly longer times than actual.  A half a second goes by pretty quickly.  I am going to do some more testing today.  Times may be a little off but hopefully they are good for a comparison of tunes.  4.5 is pretty fast!  That's where I would like to be.  I better get a wife and a stopwatch!   ;D

Brucelinc

Quote from: DJE624 on July 28, 2013, 12:08:29 PM
I better get a wife and a stopwatch!   ;D

There are times when I would give you the wife and throw in the stopwatch.   ;D

DJE624

LOL Bruce.  I just did some more testing.  I am starting to think that the Torque Pro is not the best timing device. 

Larrylu

Quote from: DJE624 on July 28, 2013, 01:35:30 PM
LOL Bruce.  I just did some more testing.  I am starting to think that the Torque Pro is not the best timing device.

Dave this may not apply to you but, when I was doing some 0 to 60 runs and timing them with Torque, I made a little mistake which impacted the results. When I brought up the RPM just prior to launch, the brakes are struggling mightily and a tiny bit of creep can start the Torque clock running a split second before the actual launch. I could hear the brakes creak and groan and suspect that is a possible explanation for slow run. I was told that pumping the brakes a few times would make them hold more solidly, but I don't know for sure on that. You also could try lowering the RPM a bit when torque braking to see if the brakes can hang on better. Good luck and let us know what you learn.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

DJE624

Quote from: Larrylu on July 28, 2013, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: DJE624 on July 28, 2013, 01:35:30 PM

Dave this may not apply to you but, when I was doing some 0 to 60 runs and timing them with Torque, I made a little mistake which impacted the results. When I brought up the RPM just prior to launch, the brakes are struggling mightily and a tiny bit of creep can start the Torque clock running a split second before the actual launch. I could hear the brakes creak and groan and suspect that is a possible explanation for slow run. I was told that pumping the brakes a few times would make them hold more solidly, but I don't know for sure on that. You also could try lowering the RPM a bit when torque braking to see if the brakes can hang on better. Good luck and let us know what you learn.

I think you are right Larry.  I tried launching brake to accelerator too and there is a bit of a lag.  That could add a full second.  I will try pumping and holding the brake more firmly next test session.  What do you think the best rpm for launch would be?  I have tried 1500 and 2000.  I'm thinking maybe somewhere in between.

EDIT-09/29/2013  After a lot of practice and 2 trips to the track, my launch is much better.  Today I recorded a 0-60 MPH time of 5.1 in 68 degree weather launching at 2200 RPMs.  Could not be happier with my Stage 4+!

Larrylu

I think with our tunes these engines are a bit tougher for the brakes to hold than stock. My best guess is in agreement with you with the RPM try a middle ground and pump the brakes. Also be aware of possible creep. Good luck. You might check with Todd (TSS).  He has a lot of 0 to 60 timing experience. Just not with Torque.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

bpd1151

I routinely launch 'tween 2K & 2200K rpms.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

darreli

I used to launch between 1800-2000. That's what the car liked best. Last week I was launching at around 3000!! Car really liked that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2