• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Datalog Database?

Started by derfdog15, January 12, 2017, 05:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Is anyone aware of some form of repository/database where people post datalogs?

I think it would be pretty cool to have something where you could visit and search for datalogs based on certain conditions (such as boost, spark, location) in order to compare data for your own sake, or to see how certain changes may affect the car.

Any ideas?
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Negative... most people still consider it taboo to post datalogs of tuned cars...you can find some interesting exchanges between Brad and LMS about the subject...

Would be cool though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimC

Never heard that before. Posting data logs for review is common on Mustang forums.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Quote from: JimC on January 12, 2017, 05:57:05 PM
Never heard that before. Posting data logs for review is common on Mustang forums.

Yea, not sure why on the SHO forums there is a stigma about it... it's not like there is enough information in the log to replicate a tuners tune. If anything, if everyone was open about their datalogs it would do nothing but HELP everyone... would have helped me tremendously in the beginning of having my car tuned.

Of course, the major platform that is used by LMS  can't perform datalogging with the device.

Oh well... I have A TON of datalogs...and my favorite tuner WANTS me to post his logs lol...

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 12, 2017, 06:52:09 PM

Yea, not sure why on the SHO forums there is a stigma about it... it's not like there is enough information in the log to replicate a tuners tune. If anything, if everyone was open about their datalogs it would do nothing but HELP everyone... would have helped me tremendously in the beginning of having my car tuned.

Of course, the major platform that is used by LMS  can't perform datalogging with the device.

Oh well... I have A TON of datalogs...and my favorite tuner WANTS me to post his logs lol...

I see almost no point in email tunes if you can not log the data in order to revise. No two cars are the same, just like no two people are the same, so it just makes sense. Each customer is different and each car is different.

To me, it speaks a lot, that one tuner is open with his logs, while others are more protective of them, what are you hiding? are you afraid people will see issues?

Overall though I think it would be pretty cool to be able to comb through logs at a whim, rather than having to ask about a certain aspect and wait for people to chime in with logs.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 12, 2017, 06:55:18 PM

I see almost no point in email tunes if you can not log the data in order to revise. No two cars are the same, just like no two people are the same, so it just makes sense. Each customer is different and each car is different.

To me, it speaks a lot, that one tuner is open with his logs, while others are more protective of them, what are you hiding? are you afraid people will see issues?

Overall though I think it would be pretty cool to be able to comb through logs at a whim, rather than having to ask about a certain aspect and wait for people to chime in with logs.

As far as the database portion is concerned, you would need someone to host it... could use Amazon DBaaS but that costs money... then you would need to find away to meta tag the csv files so you can search for specific ones, or come up with a common naming structure that can parsed for searching purposes. Could be fun to setup... I get like $250 a months worth of free Azure Cloud charges... could do a sql instance...with a nice FE.. but I don't want to maintain it lol!

As far as LMS, I wouldn't be so quick to judge...yet again... the tuning device they use is compatible with their tuning software which according to them gives access to more tables that they modify than the SCT platform... I'm not going to rehash it as it's been beat to death. I would use the search feature that the forums have....

In regards to the statement that no two cars are the same, LMS insists that if you know how the Ecoboost motor works, then there is no need to datalog...

And based on track data that has been recorded up until very recently it has held water... cars with several data logged revisions are putting up the same times as the non data logged cars and vice versa...

BCB and Brad are pushing that envelope... which means LMS might need to start revising their tunes to keep up.

derfdog15

I totally agree with ya StealBlueSho and I do agree LMS does good with their tunes, and would love to have extra tables. No way bashing their work, more of a case specific to me comment that I want to log my car and see what is happening.

In theory you could always use an X4 or similar SCT device with livelink to log a car that is LMS tuned would just need extra hardware.

I am super excited to see how Brads tune does at the track in the spring, I expect at least 12.5 and am hoping for 12.3 or better.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 12, 2017, 07:29:18 PM
I totally agree with ya StealBlueSho and I do agree LMS does good with their tunes, and would love to have extra tables. No way bashing their work, more of a case specific to me comment that I want to log my car and see what is happening.

In theory you could always use an X4 or similar SCT device with livelink to log a car that is LMS tuned would just need extra hardware.

I am super excited to see how Brads tune does at the track in the spring, I expect at least 12.5 and am hoping for 12.3 or better.

Yup, I used my SCTx4 to log the LMS 4+X tune which is their most aggressive tune for the 2010-2012 SHO... thats one of the datalogs from
my post with a datalog from Brad, Torrie, and LMS ;-)

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 12, 2017, 06:55:18 PM

The point to non logged tunes is for the folks that just want to enjoy their cars and don't care about the various things we obsess over. Yes, there are variances, but remember that LME has a dyno and they buy cars for development. Lots of dyno time on the shop car and customer cars has allowed them to develop a safe enjoyable baseline tune for all. 

derfdog15

I found this site for uploading .csv files into interactive charts

http://datazap.me/

What do you guys think? Stumbled on it while looking at spark plug info ( NGK LTR7IX-11 vs Denso ITV22)

Here is the thread on the fiesta ST forums with a few graphs/logs to look at.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8742-Datalogging-NGK-LTR7IX-11-vs-Denso-ITV22

Pretty cool IMO.

SHOdded

I know a couple of people use it, have posted logs on this site with datazap.  If the logs can be downloaded they are of more value, though the site does do a nice job of basic graphing.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Ok, so what we need then, is a basic file share service, that people can use to drop logs into, and then share out so other people can download them? Correct? Without getting all fancy pants about the whole thing... AKA sharepoint if you will...

Perhaps Dropbox... if you want to add files, you can create an account, let one of the moderators of the dropbox know about it, and then you can be add the team which will allow you add files... OR you can email the logs to one of the moderators who can put them up there for you... OR just post the logs and ask for them to added...

otherwise, if you are just an average guy or girl looking to view some logs, you just click the supplies link (preferably stickied on the forum) and you can look around all day and download what you want to look at?

Here is an example I put together.. its rather simple... but the hierarchy goes.. Datalogs -> Tuner(LMS, Unleashed, BCB, AJPTurbo) -> (Username).. there for if you have a questions about a log, you can lookup the user within the forum, see what mods they have, etc.. OR a user can just say look in his folder under Unleashed etc...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3k27ee0cv5fux94/AACUR-q7i59KSXET3gQiuHMua?dl=0

Pretty simple, but effective I would think.. and best of all.. fairly low maintenance.. and we dont have to worry about someone unauthorized deleting or manipulating the files...

SHOdded

Add to the DB idea above:
1. name your CSV logs appropriately to the conditions under which the log was obtained, and
2. keep your signature updated at the time of posting the log to this forum so that the CSV files can be modified to reflect this as well, since mods do change

Might work.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on January 14, 2017, 10:34:16 PM
Add to the DB idea above:
1. name your CSV logs appropriately to the conditions under which the log was obtained, and
2. keep your signature updated at the time of posting the log to this forum so that the CSV files can be modified to reflect this as well, since mods do change

Might work.

Yea, ideally having a standard naming convention would be nice... I just think that if people need to do much work they won't post them lol... as it is people don't really want to post datalogs anyway...

Name could be...

(Year)-(model)-Tuner)-(Octane/tune name)-(modcodes)-(notes).csv

Mod codes:

C = cold air intake
E = exhaust
B = 3bar
DC = Downpipes catted
DN = Downpipes non-catted
M = Meth
etc...

I.E: 2014-SHO-unleashed-93-cebdn-74F.csv or 2013-MKS-LMS-93v9-ebd-track.csv

Could include dates too...

StealBlueSho

Or you could create another sub forum just so people can post logs and share whatever information they want about it... the forum search engine should work well enough... if anyone ever uses it lol..