• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Spark vs boost

Started by StealBlueSho, January 11, 2017, 07:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Has anyone done an in depth comparison on our motors concerning running more boost with less spark vs more spark with less boost?

I.e. Say running 3-5 more degrees of spark with 1.5lbs of less boost.

Granted tuning both ways until you see knock?

Not including E blends.

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 11, 2017, 07:55:59 AM
Has anyone done an in depth comparison on our motors concerning running more boost with less spark vs more spark with less boost?

Not including E blends.

Not an in-depth comparison, but comparing AJPTurbos car when he dyno'd vs. mine when I just dynoed, he had less spark and more boost, and his car made more peak horsepower and torque. I will try and get his run files/ask him to overlay his files vs. mine to see how it looks through the rev range though.

Maybe he can post that up here?
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 11, 2017, 07:55:59 AM

Not including E blends.
i've been really curious about this as well and may be employing brads expertise to test out a low boost/high timing 91 octane tune to see how it feels compared to my current tune. this is of particular concern for me because of the altitude my car is performing in. . it really taxes the turbos to get desired tip where it needs to be. my WGDC is always 90%+ through entire pulls and i'm wondering if the car wouldn't make more power if the turbos we're closer to their efficiency range and not just pumping hot air. any loss in boost can of course be added in timing and brad quotes ~7 hp per degree of timing(which is a little higher than what i'm used to hearing but who knows).
from what i've seen lms goes the low boost/high timing route, and from what i've seen of bcb they do the same and both vendors have some fast cars out there.
on that note i wouldn't mind hearing some other people post their commanded boost/WGDC and timing #s.

i'm on 91 oct-15.5lbs w/90-97% duty cycle and 15-19* spark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MiWiAu

I'm by no means an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

It's a tricky question to answer, as a lot of variables come into play.

At a high level, it's my understanding that if you have to choose between boost and timing, more boost will generally make more power vs adding more timing, but more boost requires less advance and will create more heat.

I'm sure one of the experts will correct me, if my synopsis is incorrect.

How I see it, you might tune differently depending on your application (drag racing, road racing, reckless commuter), so you can optimize how/when you make your power for your desired application, which seems like it makes it difficult to answer a generic question of which is better.

An "in depth" study (as you mention) with some tradeoff curves would be awesome to see, so you can understand the relationship between various parameters (like power vs advance, power vs boost, egt vs advance, egt vs boost, etc).

2013 XSport

djxfactor

Grabbing my popcorn for the discussion. Definitely a great topic.

:popcornandbeer
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

StealBlueSho

Unfortunately, I believe the only people are who going to be able to really talk knowledgeably about it for our particular platform are tuners who have had the time to dyno/track the differences...that would be companies or guys like Brad, Torrie, LMS, BCB, etc...

Which gets interesting because like what was already posted... some of those tuners lean on the turbos for power and some lean on spark to produce the power...

Brads tune I was running ~210kpa at the manifold and 18.5 of spark in third gear in a multigear run from 0 - 100
LMS tune I was running ~187kpa at the manifold and 23 degrees of spark in third gear in a multigear run from 0 - 100
Torries tune I was running ~201kpa at the manifold and 13 degrees of spark in third gear in a multigear run from 0 - 100

In a non-multigear run, just a straight third gear pull after the car has cooled down Brads tune I get ~210kpa and around 20.5 of spark.

The other tuners wont lock the gears in manual mode like Brad... so I cannot compare....

All that being said.... it just shows different tuners approach it differently..

I just realized this quickly can become a which tuner is better discussion which I don't want to engage in, more along the lines, of given all the different way to tune our cars, what are the benefits/trade offs of spark vs boost...

bpd1151

Objective, fact laden, well articulated post there StealBlueSHO.

And I agree, ultimately left to each vendor to answer (if they so choose) & unfortunately a discussion that could/will, lilely transcend into an unproductive debate.

I applaud your research and posting of your own personal experiences therein.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

If this degrades into a pissing match I will just ask one of the moderators to lock the thread.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 11, 2017, 07:04:40 PM
If this degrades into a pissing match I will just ask one of the moderators to lock the thread.
Well i think we cross that bridge when we come to it but in my short time on this forum i've witnessed a decently high level of maturity(at least for internet standards) amongst different discussions and would hope we would all be collectively above that.
I would love for some vendors to chime in on the subject. My intention in asking others boost/timing levels was more to develop a rough idea of what certain tuners styles are Example:LMS may lean toward low boost/high spark while Unleashed high boost/low spark etc. This way if someone has a certain preference or style they want to stick to they have a bit of a guideline or idea of what tuner to use.(granted LMS is more of a one size fits all and Unleashed is potentially more "custom")
Not too long ago i reached out to a certain vendor/tuner with these and other questions and their response left much to be desired.
Also i'm mostly interested in peoples WGDC at different boost levels to find out if there's somewhat of a "sweet spot" that's best not to shoot past.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 8nutz8 on January 11, 2017, 09:26:14 PM
Well i think we cross that bridge when we come to it but in my short time on this forum i've witnessed a decently high level of maturity(at least for internet standards) amongst different discussions and would hope we would all be collectively above that.
I would love for some vendors to chime in on the subject. My intention in asking others boost/timing levels was more to develop a rough idea of what certain tuners styles are Example:LMS may lean toward low boost/high spark while Unleashed high boost/low spark etc. This way if someone has a certain preference or style they want to stick to they have a bit of a guideline or idea of what tuner to use.(granted LMS is more of a one size fits all and Unleashed is potentially more "custom")
Not too long ago i reached out to a certain vendor/tuner with these and other questions and their response left much to be desired.
Also i'm mostly interested in peoples WGDC at different boost levels to find out if there's somewhat of a "sweet spot" that's best not to shoot past.

LMS as you would suspect is fairly low on my car as far as the WGDC... in the low 60's through out the gears... no curve, just flat...

AJPTurbo was similarly flat however was in the low 80's for WGDC... that's with his boost regulator modification.  I will caveats this by saying that Brad was not exactly thrilled with the WGDC being that high, however, we discussed it, and with my SHO being a weekend only car, it was acceptable. I wanted a specific boost setting.

Unleashed was all over the place, not quite sure how Torrie managed it, but the WGDC would vary quite largely during the same run by 20% or more.

That being said, I'm sure the extra heat being put back into the engine from the turbos running that hot has some effect on spark tables as the IATs climb... but the does the extra boost offset the lower spark due to heat?

Maybe on a dyno that can produce some really fantastic numbers cause your not red lining every gear to get to 3rd for a dyno... thus the effects of an elevated IAT is not realized?

Where as on a 1/4 mile run, where you are red lining the gears, really making those turbos work for longer periods, that elevated IAT hurts you because it scales back the timing?

I could be completely off base, still curious however how the tuners on our platform view this...

derfdog15

Quote from: 8nutz8 on January 11, 2017, 09:26:14 PM

My car stock, WGDC was around 40-50% on pulls. (maximum %, it was lower at points as well)

@ 15 PSI at the dragstrip, in ~50 degree weather, it was closer to 65-70% maximum(on a 93 octane tune, stock spark advance)

@15PSI on E20, it was ~ the same as above.

On the current 15-16PSI, E20, with wastegate mod, it goes around 80% at maximum, but generally stays in the same 50-65% range.

Logs attached. Stock is my stock pulls, Rev5 is the drag strip 93 octane, Rev15 is my last major E20 tune revision before wastegate mod, rev21 is current wastegate mod tune that I dyno'd on.

I have also attached the dyno pull log, since the intake wastegate(MV-S wastegate mod) was open the full pull, and the dyno put a lot more load on the car, you can see that WGDC is much higher

I also included Revs 1-4, and some extra drag strip logs, and my stock dyno log. The First few revs incremented boost, by 1 psi at a time if I recall correctly so should show a few varying WGDC. They are all on 93. Rev 5 drag logs should have about 15 to 20 runs down the track, worst being a 13.4 and best being a 12.87 with most at the 12.9-13.1 range. 93 octane on the drag logs. "stock" dyno pull shows the load that was on the car even with the wategate mod not being used, that is with the stock stragie but optimized for E20, rear O2s set properly for catless downpipes, stock BOV set properly for TiAL bov and stock deleted, thermostat settings for my 170.Essentially the stock dyno pull is on a tune, which is optimized for my mods, but has no increased boost or spark, and keeps all stock ford strategies in place (including closing the throttle on shift)

Hopefully these will help you/others. I had to do a .zip because some of the logs are massive (IDK how AJPTurbo put up with my logs in the past)
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

FoMoCoSHO

It really shouldn't, I believe with most anything, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

It doesn't mean one is right or wrong.

17-18+ psi is fun but the fun is very short loved due to the IAT2 compensations.

I prefer my car with less boost and lots of spark advance. (25+)

I can't put my finger on it but it feels better to me.

It Seems like everything happens faster and the car doesn't feel weak at High RPMs.

Colorado-SHOBro

Great info StealBlue and Derf!! Those are good comparisons for me. I've attached my stock log for comparison as well- take note of the quite literally "elevated" WGDC my altitude causes even at stock boost levels. And thanks for the wealth of logs Derf- I feel like i'm about to go cross-eyed from looking at logs for too long some nights. Have no clue how Brad keeps his sanity. You can see i hide certain columns and highlight others to make it easier on the eyes.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 11, 2017, 10:13:18 PM

It really shouldn't, I believe with most anything, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

It doesn't mean one is right or wrong.

17-18+ psi is fun but the fun is very short loved due to the IAT2 compensations.

I prefer my car with less boost and lots of spark advance. (25+)

I can't put my finger on it but it feels better to me.

It Seems like everything happens faster and the car doesn't feel weak at High RPMs.

From personal testing and driving I tend to agree with you. The bigger boost tunes will give you more torque especially low end torque around 3K rpms. Where I feel like the high spark tunes tends to like you said, give you more power at the upper rpm's.

You can look at logs all day, lord knows I have 100+ datalogs of various tunes on my car, and I have analyzed to the best of my ability all of them.

Ideally, besides having one our esteemed vendors and tuners maybe explain the pros and cons to both, getting some track time to compare the time differences would be good. The high boost application getting a lot of get up and go off the line but I believe start to peeter out towards to the top end due to IAT's/Knock limitations... vs the lower boost higher spark applications that may not have the lowend torque but because they run cooler IAT's pull more consistently through the gears.

derfdog15

Once tracks open up in march/april and I get my wastegate spring testing done on current tune, I will be glad to pester AJPTurbo for lower boost/higher spark and see how the times compare