• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Taurus SHO Broken Piston, Engine Failure

Started by dstieve34, January 07, 2017, 08:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstieve34

I have a 2010 Taurus SHO PP with just over 51K miles on it and I somehow blew a hole in my engine block due to a broken piston. Oil has been changed every 3k miles with Full Synthetic. Has anyone else ever had this problem? My mechanic has never seen anything like this and believes it was definitely a defect. Although I am out of warranty, I am wondering if pursuing Ford is out of the question? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Sorry to hear about the kaboom. That is most unfortunate!

Ford will most likely not help you. It's too far out of warranty as far as time. I have a SHO 2010 with same mileage.. they don't even want to let me buy an extended warranty.

Any modifications to your SHO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstieve34

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 07, 2017, 08:24:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the kaboom. That is most unfortunate!

Ford will most likely not help you. It's too far out of warranty as far as time. I have a SHO 2010 with same mileage.. they don't even want to let me buy an extended warranty.

Any modifications to your SHO?

Most unfortunate indeed! Lol. I have an intake and an sct x4 93 octane tune. I've already purchased a used engine with similar miles for replacement, but was curious if anyone has had the same problem and/or if a small claims lawsuit is out of the question? Mechanic swears that the tune and intake did not cause that to happen...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Huh... I don't know from personal experience but... everyone who has had a piston blow a whole in their block was a methanol issue that I have read....

Lately there has been water pumps mixing coolant into the oil causing failed motors....

AJP turbo

Its outlandish to ask ford for any help being that you had a tune of any kind let alone a 93 tune

Not sure why your mechanic would suggest so strongly that a tune couldn't contribute to the failure....was it the cause? Who knows...maybe and maybe not....more boost and more spark can very easily go boom

Everyone needs to know the risk when you flash the ecu...ford has no idea how the tuner set up the tune so even if under warranty it would be perfectly fair for ford not to touch the car...thats why a trusted tuner is a must and even that is no guarantee....unlike exotic cars, not every connecting rod and piston is X-rayed in a taurus...some parts are tested so defects slip through

All that said im sorry for your loss
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Who is your tuner?  Have seen this happen to another member, and it was surmised as related to heavy throttle in cold weather without proper engine warm-up.  Not definitive tho.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Ryan02Stang

2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged