• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Part 3 of biggest problem in world

Started by Flexthis2011EB, January 06, 2017, 10:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flexthis2011EB

Ok, as for this on going problem it's been coolant not warming up, fans doing weird things, crank/cam synch issue, fuel pump noise issue, I think it's almost safe to say bad pcm again but can I test that? I just don't get it. After my last post thinking nightmare was over I drove for the past 2 days almost 400 miles with no probs, runs like a champ. Then I get home today and as sitting at car wash my car randomly starts to stumble and almost dies with the wrench light on. I shut car off and restart and runs fine for a cpl minutes then does it again. I get 2 codes p2111 p2135, both throttle body/sensor codes. I pop hood, jiggle throttle actuator sensor, rewrapped with tape and problem went away. But I have higher idle now (840rpm) which I learned can be a failsafe for a failed TB and/sensor. A Few flexs have had their throttle bodies replaced. So maybe that? Then I drive fine for another 40+ miles (picking up wife and running errands) and I get home, park in my driveway and idle for about ten minutes talking on the phone when my car started stumbling again only this time my coolant light came on and my temp gauge went all the way to hot and got a cylinder head temp too high code so I shut off. Pull out my scanner, start logging, restart  car and idle for roughly 20 min waiting to replicate problem and with my luck, No problems. 😡😡 I'm getting frustrated with this car. Earlier as I was montering pids I noticed my coolant temp dropping and rising with my accel position. Someone told me that's due to increased water pump speed due to higher rpm but yea. Fuel pump is turning on and off again with key in in position. I will sit there and literally watch my fuel psi rise without the car running as the pump just keeps on priming. I may just have to bring it to Ford but they suck. Ive lost control of the situation. But I guarantee that tomorrow it will start just fine and drive just fine until it decides to do all that again. Maybe I messed something up when relooming my wires? Or adding in the bigger alternator cable and removing old one? Maybe a ground issue? I will pull pcm cover to look for visuals but I swear a bad pcm meant no communication or at least a pcm module fault code.
2011 Ford Flex AWD Ecoboost 3.5l twinturbo

FoMoCoSHO

So the fuel rail pressure rising is normal, when I'm sitting in accessory mode at the staging lane the rail will continue to build pressure. The only way it can lower pressure from the rail is by the injectors and since they aren't running, the pressure will build.

It sounds like your car is experiencing electrical gremlins and at this point, I would look for a competent Ford or even better, a Lincoln dealership. If you indeed have an un- diagnosed gremlin wreaking havoc all you are going to do is end up chasing your tail hanging a bunch of unneeded parts.

I find it interesting that it acted up at the car wash...any issues when its raining or the humidity is high?

Flexthis2011EB

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 07, 2017, 12:07:44 AM
So the fuel rail pressure rising is normal, when I'm sitting in accessory mode at the staging lane the rail will continue to build pressure. The only way it can lower pressure from the rail is by the injectors and since they aren't running, the pressure will build.

It sounds like your car is experiencing electrical gremlins and at this point, I would look for a competent Ford or even better, a Lincoln dealership. If you indeed have an un- diagnosed gremlin wreaking havoc all you are going to do is end up chasing your tail hanging a bunch of unneeded parts.

I find it interesting that it acted up at the car wash...any issues when its raining or the humidity is high?

Ok, cool. Didn't know that about fuel rail. And It's been in the negatives the past month so I'm not sure how it's acts around humidity or rain. I wanna take it to dealer but it's just so intermittent and with my luck it won't happen the whole time it's there. I'm waiting for it to get above at least 20 degrees so I can go give it another look through.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Flexthis2011EB on January 07, 2017, 12:21:07 AM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 07, 2017, 12:07:44 AM

Ok, cool. Didn't know that about fuel rail. And It's been in the negatives the past month so I'm not sure how it's acts around humidity or rain. I wanna take it to dealer but it's just so intermittent and with my luck it won't happen the whole time it's there. I'm waiting for it to get above at least 20 degrees so I can go give it another look through.

If the dealer can't get it to act up, ask them for a flight recorder.

Do you have an X4?

Flexthis2011EB

ZSHO

Did you disconnect the battery prior to removing the ground strap wire?
I think that ground wire correlates with the ECU/PCM ,Hopefully nothing shorted out.
I would try checking/swapping out the fuel pump relay in the (BJB) .Z
Any visible signs of water inside the engine bay?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Flexthis2011EB

Yes. The battery was removed when regrounding. I do wash my flex almost on the daily and the pcm sits right under the windshield shroud so I wonder if it's just been exposed to too much water like ur saying. It's just so weird, like right now. I'm getting ready to leave, flex is in garage warming up and running 100% normal. By the end of the day I'm sure I'll have problems. It's that intermittent. Do u know where I can get a full ecm pin out and main wiring harness diagram? Imma have to keep on digging.

ZSHO

Quote from: Flexthis2011EB on January 07, 2017, 09:35:59 AM
Yes. The battery was removed when regrounding. I do wash my flex almost on the daily and the pcm sits right under the windshield shroud so I wonder if it's just been exposed to too much water like ur saying. It's just so weird, like right now. I'm getting ready to leave, flex is in garage warming up and running 100% normal. By the end of the day I'm sure I'll have problems. It's that intermittent. Do u know where I can get a full ecm pin out and main wiring harness diagram? Imma have to keep on digging.
I wonder if the weather stripping under and around the hood and by cowl cover is worn out and letting water inside!!,just trying to help ya out.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Flexthis2011EB

Quote from: ZSHO on January 07, 2017, 09:48:50 AM
Quote from: Flexthis2011EB on January 07, 2017, 09:35:59 AM
I wonder if the weather stripping under and around the hood and by cowl cover is worn out and letting water inside!!,just trying to help ya out.  Z

Yes I really appreciate it! You've got a lot of wisdom. Do u think unplugging and visually inspecting the ecm is safe?

MiWiAu

If you suspect water, you could spray the connection with WD-40. The "WD" stands for "water displacement" (and was perfected on the 40th formulation).

Have personally witnessed WD-40 on electrical connections resolve missing and no-start conditions after engine bay washing.

You don't want to give it a bath though. A little bit goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Flexthis2011EB

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 07, 2017, 11:35:18 AM
If you suspect water, you could spray the connection with WD-40. The "WD" stands for "water displacement" (and was perfected on the 40th formulation).

Have personally witnessed WD-40 on electrical connections resolve missing and no-start conditions after engine bay washing.

Really? Dude I learn so much from y'all. Cool info bout the wd and I'll try that as soon as I get home. Is unplugging ecu connections ok?

ZSHO

Quote from: Flexthis2011EB on January 07, 2017, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: MiWiAu on January 07, 2017, 11:35:18 AM

Really? Dude I learn so much from y'all. Cool info bout the wd and I'll try that as soon as I get home. I'd unplugging ecu connections ok?
]I would remove the ground cable from the battery.
I used a smidgen of Wd40 on my other cars but mainly need to let it soak for quite some time And then use some electronic cleaner for the harness, connectors . Z

Flexthis2011EB

MiWiAu

Holy $hit! I hope that's dielectric grease in the PCM receptacle and not water/ice?? Looks like ice...

2013 XSport

Flexthis2011EB

(Closer look). That's liquid looking stuff is electrical cleaner I just sprayed. Not ice but damn, some nasty gunk. Like wtf could that be? Washed up grime from exposure to various car washes?