• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter vs Summer Tunes?

Started by 97novi2k, January 05, 2017, 08:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97novi2k

Just wondering if people are running lower octane tunes for the winter or not. I decided to bump down to 91 to be safe for the winter blends but not sure if it is really necessary or not
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 97novi2k on January 05, 2017, 08:57:19 PM
Just wondering if people are running lower octane tunes for the winter or not. I decided to bump down to 91 to be safe for the winter blends but not sure if it is really necessary or not

Depends on where you live climate wise and how the winter fuel blends impact your car...

I have fantastic fuel all year round in Virginia so I keep the 93 octane tune all year round.

I do have tunes that are not as aggressive in the event I see too much fuel pressure loss when the temperatures drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97novi2k

Well I live near Detroit where it's pretty cold and I don't have anything to monitor the car. They say it's a year around tune but figured it would be safer this year. For anyone who does switch what times of year do you switch back and forth?
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

Blackhawk

I switched to my low octane tune in November.  Shitty winter gas and I don't exactly need the extra power in the snow/ice.

97novi2k

Are people with 93 octane going to 91 or even lower to 89? I went from 93 down to 91 but still filling with 93 V Power

ecoboostsho

I monitor my car constantly and went to the 91 tune but still run BP 93 gas in it.  The LOR has settled to -.79 even with the 91 tune, but honestly it's pretty much perfect for the winter since I'm not trying to beat every ounce of performance on it.  This setup gets me almost no part throttle knock and WOT is fine (although as mentioned I don't do that much if its cold).  Was -11 here this morning and everything is running great.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

MiWiAu

I have an 87 tune that I've been running in the winter.

All of my tuning started in late October after we had already switched over to winter blend fuels, and my latest 93 tune/log was done at less than 10*F, so I already have a pretty good margin of safety built into mine. :)

2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

My fuel potency doesn't seem to change at all between the seasonal blends and I'm in one of the "boutique states" which is code for excessive EPA meddling.

OAR is still at -1.20

f8tlSHO

Still running my 93 e20 tune @14psi... it's a warm 8 degrees outside. Car loves this cold weather!!!

2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

ZSHO

I run my LME 93 Tune all year around with no special E-blend required just a bottle of heet at every fill up goes a long way.
It seems we have a heat wave today. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Quote from: ZSHO on January 10, 2017, 10:24:28 AM
I run my LME 93 Tune all year around with no special E-blend required just a bottle of heet at every fill up goes a long way.

Isn't heet essentially just alcohol though? So sort of the same idea as doing an Eblend in the winter or running meth in the winter?

http://www.servicechamp.com/images/28202msds.pdf

The MSDS lists the main ingredient as being Isopropanol which is just Isopropyl alcohol.

I wonder if they do anything special to distill it, or if it the same as the alcohol you can buy in the pharmacy. 
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Do not use iso HEET, just HEET, which is methanol.  The difference being you are treating the gas in the fuel tank rather than supplementing the fuel source.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Quote from: SHOdded on January 10, 2017, 11:05:40 AM
Do not use iso HEET, just HEET, which is methanol.  The difference being you are treating the gas in the fuel tank rather than supplementing the fuel source.

Gotcha, I was just trying to confirm that is an alcohol based additive, which it appears both are. So in essence, adding HEET would be similar to adding a small amount of ethanol or a little meth injection to keep things clean. That's mainly what I wanted to know. Thanks!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 10, 2017, 11:02:22 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 10, 2017, 10:24:28 AM

Isn't heet essentially just alcohol though? So sort of the same idea as doing an Eblend in the winter or running meth in the winter?

http://www.servicechamp.com/images/28202msds.pdf

The MSDS lists the main ingredient as being Isopropanol which is just Isopropyl alcohol.

I wonder if they do anything special to distill it, or if it the same as the alcohol you can buy in the pharmacy.
I would make certain its the yellow bottle which contains methanol.  Z   http://www.johnsens.com/uploads/files/2952.pdf
http://www.johnsens.com/products/detail/2952-gas-line-anti-freeze
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C873VYU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  20.00 case of 12.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: 97novi2k on January 05, 2017, 08:57:19 PM

Our most recent tune (V10) which it appears that you have, is a fantastic all weather, year round tune. We do see customers step down from the 93 to 91 octane tunes
as a precautionary measure, mostly for inclement weather instances. But otherwise you are perfectly fine running the v10 year round!