• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Manually Cleaned Valves Today

Started by TX MKS-T, December 29, 2016, 06:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TX MKS-T

So after stumbling upon my corroded valves when swapping out  an injector recently I opened her back up to see what I could do to clean them up. My thread on injector replacement which is same procedure to gain access to valves by removal of intake - http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6043.30.html

I researched the best know chemicals to remove carbon so felt confident I was armed for the task with them in hand !

This was what I started with once intake was removed:

I started with the AMSOIL Power Foam, I let it sit while I ran errands and a trip to the gym which in total was about approx. 3hrs

After returning I took a peek to see how it was going:

2010 MKS-T * K&N Drop In/Power Stop Rotors
2007 Tundra TRD 5.7 - The Toy Hauler
2014 Mitsu Outlander - Kid Hauler

TX MKS-T

It was working needless to say so I used some long needle nose pliers with a rag at the end and went through the ports.

Next up to bat was the CRC Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner which I let it sit for 2hrs while I did somethings around the house

Once that was done I hit it with some brake cleaner on a rag and ran it through the ports with the needle nose pliers and wow I can now see the top of the valve !!!  At this point I felt I had done enough to make a decent improvement so started prepping to put back together.

So the before and after shot:

All the rags I went through cleaning...

Also decided to cleanup the intake and TB while I had it off

At the end of it all it cost me a few hours of labor and waiting around with the cleaning products CRC cleaner $15 and AMSOIL Power Foam $12. I re-used my gaskets because to be honest they are in great shape and the re-useable type so didn't need to drop money on those. If o had to do it again I'd have a pipe cleaner brush or some sort of long handled brush because I'm sure I could have gotten them pretty well cleaned as the carbon was almost mush from sitting so Long and the rag was difficult to get in the tight areas.

My 1st impression is I have better throttle and off idle power and throttle response is allot better. It just feels lighter on its feet which is funny saying that considering its a heavy Lincoln lol but this is only comparing to before/after. I have yet to see how MPG's are effected but will watch that.

Hopefully this is useful for those wanting to tackle this and hesitant because its not really that bad :)

MiWiAu

Sweet, thanks for the post! When the weather warms up, I'm going to send a scope through the IM to see how mine look. I'm at ~36k miles now.

Did you have any other symptoms other than the coking? Do you notice any difference in how it runs post cleaning?
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Great info, and effort!  Thank you for documenting :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TX MKS-T

No problem I'm all about the DYI's  :thumb:

Miwiau I noticed I immediate improvement but my valves were caked pretty bad. I didn't have any symptoms prior, just came across them while repairing a bad injector. I only have 42k on the clock and have been running premium 93 octane since 28k and don't really drive it hard so can only assume there are worse than mine out there.

MiWiAu

Quote from: TX MKS-T on December 30, 2016, 09:15:11 AM

Miwiau I noticed I immediate improvement but my valves were caked pretty bad. I didn't have any symptoms prior, just came across them while repairing a bad injector. I only have 42k on the clock and have been running premium 93 octane since 28k and don't really drive it hard so can only assume there are worse than mine out there.

Thanks for the feedback! I will check mine this summer and let you guys know how mine look. Probably be about the same mileage by then. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 31, 2016, 10:53:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I will check mine this summer and let you guys know how mine look. Probably be about the same mileage by then. :)

SUMMER??? That is like...6 months out sir...
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 31, 2016, 11:03:42 PM

I'm well aware, lol. First baby due in June, so I have a lot of painting to do when the weather warms up before I can get to cleaning valves. ;)

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 31, 2016, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on December 31, 2016, 11:03:42 PM

I'm well aware, lol. First baby due in June, so I have a lot of painting to do when the weather warms up before I can get to cleaning valves. ;)

Well congrats for sure! Kids before cars for sure! Have a safe and prosperous time getting ready for your child, and for sure make sure the car is safe for the baby as well (more power means you can avoid incidents easier ;) )

Glad to hear about both (child incoming, and valve cleaning as well)
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car