• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Do I have to use a funnel to add octane boost?

Started by Shonuff1140, July 26, 2013, 03:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonuff1140

Every other car I have owned I just pour octane boost in the tank, and no worries. With the SHO it goes straight to the gas station parking lot. Why is this? I feel kinda special even asking this, but most bottle octane boost is meant to be poured right in, correct?

bpd1151

It has entirely to do with the capless fueling system.

Check under your carpeted trunk piece that covers your spare....

There should be a white colored plastic nozzle attachment that inserts into the gas tank nozzle, it is essentially a funnel, but adapted to work on your SHO.

You then can pour w/e it is your little heart desires into the that funnel, & it'll go directly into your tank, rather then onto the ground.

Good luck! :beer:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

PopolZ

that's why there's a funnel there? LOL

I was wondering why I had a funnel with my spare tire.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, Pearl Black Metallic - a few goodies

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PopolZ

2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, Pearl Black Metallic - a few goodies

geswek

I don't have a spare.

I have an awesome little air compressor with green goo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Needmoreboost

I would stay away from the otc boosters if possible.
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

arttyszka

Quote from: Needmoreboost on July 26, 2013, 09:09:29 AM
So this raises a debate I'm not sure we've had on this board.  I do know that a lot of octane boosters are junk, but have read that Torco Accelerator is the real deal.  Does anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks
Art
2014 Explorer Sport
Lund Tuned | 170 t-stat | K&N Panel | H&R Springs | Coolbulbs.com HID's

crash712us

Yeah octane boosters are a rip off. And are very miss leading, while they may increase your octane rating. They do it 2-3 tenth's at a time. Yes poor in bottle to your 91 octane gas and oh boy you got 91.2 octane!
I've never tried torco before I know a friend that used there centane booster in his truck he said its good stuff.
I've had good results making my own with toluene, but it's expensive!

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

Quote from: PopolZ on July 26, 2013, 07:38:07 AM
ok ok the emergency donut if you prefer.

I meant that the spare tire and funnel together are meant for a hidden purpose other than the stated emergency use ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

SHOded, please enlighten us.  What is the secret hidden purpose?

thewrubelator

Quote from: DJE624 on July 26, 2013, 01:02:37 PM
SHOded, please enlighten us.  What is the secret hidden purpose?

I think he is refering to the extra space to fit go-fast-juice.....or a body... :blink:
SILVER SLEEPER
LMS 91v10 /  91Xv1~ Full-Race FMIC ~ AFE Stage 2 CAI ~ MAK 3" O/R D/P ~ 4" MBRP CatBack

Check out my build thread!

adelsin

Quote from: geswek on July 26, 2013, 07:42:25 AM
I don't have a spare.

I have an awesome little air compressor with green goo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Am I suppose to put the green goo in my gas tank if I get a flat?
2013 Green Gem SHO PP, all available options.

Grimster

Quote from: arttyszka on July 26, 2013, 09:13:02 AM
Quote from: Needmoreboost on July 26, 2013, 09:09:29 AM
So this raises a debate I'm not sure we've had on this board.  I do know that a lot of octane boosters are junk, but have read that Torco Accelerator is the real deal.  Does anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks
Art

I used to use Torco in my 2003 Cobra.  It allowed me to run a higher timing tune and squeeze out an additional 20-30hp or so.  I'd mix it to where I would end up running 102 octane using the torco chart for 91 octane.  Basically use an entire 32oz bottle with about half a tank of fuel left.  I bought some Torco in bulk and I still have 5 bottles left (I sold the cobra to buy this MKS ecoboost). 

I will probably only add the Torco to my MKS whenever I take it to the track or when I feel I will be extra pedal happy on a particular tank of fuel.  I still need to install my methanol kit into the MKS...which will make Torco essentially moot. 

But yes, I have used it plenty and it is good stuff :)
2010 MKS Ecoboost
Airaid intake, Water/Methanol Kit, 3-bar sensor, Tuned by Unleashed Tuning