• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo boost regulator mod with EcoPowerParts charge pipes

Started by derfdog15, December 17, 2016, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Got an update for you guys:

Thanks to some help from FoMoCo, I was able to get the flywheel torque DMR logged on the current tune (granted, I could't find DMRs on my own livelink, even after returning to stock, clearing my X4, re-installing device updater and livelink, so he sent me his config, but it worked.

Log is attached

Ambient was ~30, roads kinda crappy, and the car literally idled on the tune reflash (Rev21) for ~2 minutes than I did a 3rd gear pull. I am sure in closer conditions to my dyno pull it would be more representative, especially load, humidity, and temperature. But based on the DMR, in third gear, on the first pull I saw a peak of 660.93 nm which is 487.5 ft lb torque at the flywheel. With the partial pull at the end, I saw 683.89 nm, which is 504.4 ft lb

I also did a KAM reset ~ 20 minutes prior and maybe 11 miles earlier.

Pretty good IMO

Thanks to both FoMoCo and AJPTurbo once again. Moving forward for any dyno pull I will make sure this DMR is logged, so I can accurately compare flywheel torque to awtq.

Sidenote: DMRs are pretty cool.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

f8tlSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 14, 2017, 12:39:24 AM

Thanks to some help from FoMoCo, I was able to get the flywheel torque DMR logged on the current tune (granted, I could't find DMRs on my own livelink, even after returning to stock, clearing my X4, re-installing device updater and livelink, so he sent me his config, but it worked.

Log is attached

Ambient was ~30, roads kinda crappy, and the car literally idled on the tune reflash (Rev21) for ~2 minutes than I did a 3rd gear pull. I am sure in closer conditions to my dyno pull it would be more representative, especially load, humidity, and temperature. But based on the DMR, in third gear, on the first pull I saw a peak of 660.93 nm which is 487.5 ft lb torque at the flywheel. With the partial pull at the end, I saw 683.89 nm, which is 504.4 ft lb

I also did a KAM reset ~ 20 minutes prior and maybe 11 miles earlier.

Pretty good IMO

Thanks to both FoMoCo and AJPTurbo once again. Moving forward for any dyno pull I will make sure this DMR is logged, so I can accurately compare flywheel torque to awtq.

Sidenote: DMRs are pretty cool.
How involved is this? Sounds interesting. How accurate is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

MiWiAu

Sweet! I was looking for a way to log this! You should also be able to easily calculate HP as well.

HP=(TQ*RPM)/5252

2013 XSport

f8tlSHO

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 14, 2017, 06:48:36 AM

Sweet! I was looking for a way to log this! You should also be able to easily calculate HP as well.

HP=(TQ*RPM)/5252

Was gonna say that but couldn't remember the equation.. knew the 5252 part.. lol good deal

E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.

derfdog15

IF everything decides to work right for you guys the steps should be
1. Return to stock tune
2. Clear tuner of all files
3.uninstall device updated and livelink
4.install latest versions
5.open livelink config and validate parameters while attached to tuner and car
6.find the DMR parameters, you may have sorting issues where they end up with all the PIDs but in that case they are the parameter names in all CAPS
7.save config/load to tuner
8. Reload tune
9. Enjoy

Once I'm back home today I'll open up that same log and see what hp was at those points.

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 14, 2017, 10:07:37 AM
Once I'm back home today I'll open up that same log and see what hp was at those points.

It'll be interesting to see the shapes of your curves and peak points compared to what you saw on the dyno.

2013 XSport

f8tlSHO

I have been dialing in the mbc the last day and a half when I was out running errands. This method is not recommended for the set it quickly mindset. I dialed it one way till I got to the point that it closed, dialed it the other way till it opened, I am now in the process of closing it again. Prob doing 1/2 turns each time on the mbc. Have about 20 adjustments under my belt. More to go, just some information for anyone looking to go down this road.

MiWiAu

Quick update on my Tial spring preload idea. I don't think it's going to work. Tial says the cap threads are M10x1. The M10x1 screws I got are a sloppy fit and would surely tear up the aluminum cap if any sort of spring pressure was applied. Unless I can find a better fitting fastener, I think that idea has been deemed "not feasible".

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 14, 2017, 04:41:22 PM
Quick update on my Tial spring preload idea. I don't think it's going to work. Tial says the cap threads are M10x1. The M10x1 screws I got are a sloppy fit and would surely tear up the aluminum cap if any sort of spring pressure was applied. Unless I can find a better fitting fastener, I think that idea has been deemed "not feasible".

Well that is certainly a shame...

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 14, 2017, 03:18:48 PM
I have been dialing in the mbc the last day and a half when I was out running errands. This method is not recommended for the set it quickly mindset. I dialed it one way till I got to the point that it closed, dialed it the other way till it opened, I am now in the process of closing it again. Prob doing 1/2 turns each time on the mbc. Have about 20 adjustments under my belt. More to go, just some information for anyone looking to go down this road.

Can't say you weren't warned. That is the main reason I just went the TiAL route. I am sure you will get it sorted out though.

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 14, 2017, 10:13:34 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 14, 2017, 10:07:37 AM

It'll be interesting to see the shapes of your curves and peak points compared to what you saw on the dyno.

Two graphs attached, as I said last night, first pull (full 3rd gear) had lower numbers, probably due to adaptive, etc. as it was right after the reflash.

Second graph is where I saw the peak number, it is ~2k to ~3.5K pull, had to let out as speed limit was 40 (no longer on the highway)

Peak numbers, in HP and Ft_Lb for the first graph: 432.9/487.9
Peak numbers, in HP and Ft_Lb for the second graph: 348.8/504.4

Based on this, that may be somewhat close to the peak Torque number at the flywheel, though I am thinking it will be a bit higher once a proper pull is done (and of course the dyno put more load on the car, thus the car commanded a higher torque value - by my understanding). Also traction control was intererfering.

For Horsepower, the first pull is sort of indicative, though due to its lower power, I bet there is a lot more margin. Second set of numbers, that HP is almost not worth even looking at, IMO, since the peak HP was ~5k on both the full 3rd gear pull above, as well as on the dyno (it hit peak and flattened out). I am betting some of the reason torque is higher is due to traction control being off.

Enjoy!

f8tlSHO

Derfdog15, I am not upset at all, I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I was just posting my experience so others can see it's not a plug and play option. I like doing this kind of stuff

f8tlSHO

Ok, I think I am going to tap into the brake booster line instead of the way I have it now. This line comes directly off the intake.
I can't seem to get a consistent result with the wastegate. I changed to the other spring that I have, didn't seem to make much difference. Both springs I have seem to be about the same pressure at the same height when compressed. I think I am going to take them to work and check them on my spring tester.

AJP turbo

What is making you think you arent getting the proper result?...what are you attempting to hear/see?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 15, 2017, 04:24:43 PM
Ok, I think I am going to tap into the brake booster line instead of the way I have it now. This line comes directly off the intake.
I can't seem to get a consistent result with the wastegate. I changed to the other spring that I have, didn't seem to make much difference. Both springs I have seem to be about the same pressure at the same height when compressed. I think I am going to take them to work and check them on my spring tester.

That is the line I tapped my boost gauge and BOV into (originally had all three there but moved the source on the wastegate when troubleshooting my springs).

The other side, closer to the engine would most likely be a bit easier to tap into, you can remove the hard, plastic like line, that is there stock, and replace with a section of "fuel line" or similar, from the intake to your T, then from the T back to the brake booster and to your wastegate.

f8tlSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 15, 2017, 04:31:23 PM
What is making you think you arent getting the proper result?...what are you attempting to hear/see?
I had it yesterday opening around 22kpa this morning it was 18-19... maybe I need a heavier spring. I feel like I turn the knob 20 turns and nothing changes, it turns a lot from fully open to fully closed.

AJP turbo

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 15, 2017, 04:37:22 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on January 15, 2017, 04:31:23 PM
I had it yesterday opening around 22kpa this morning it was 18-19... maybe I need a heavier spring. I feel like I turn the knob 20 turns and nothing changes, it turns a lot from fully open to fully closed.

I'm not sure what you mean by 22 kpa and 18-19 kpa?

I would go by sound...I would say you should hear the noise and air bleeding off at every WOT upshift and maybe a little longer on the 2-3 wot upshift....Because of the intensity of the boost spike on the 2-3 the "whoosh" sound can last well into 3rd.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress