• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo boost regulator mod with EcoPowerParts charge pipes

Started by derfdog15, December 17, 2016, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 09, 2017, 08:41:25 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 09, 2017, 06:56:40 PM
Got hold of the dyno shop, power pulls scheduled for..... TOMORROW AFTERNOON!!!!

Plan is to run 2 pulls with Rev21, then load my "stock" tune. It won't really be stock, but it stock boost and spark, with no additional optimizations. Rear O2s are turned off and BOV stuff set up properly for my setup in the "stock tune" as well as 3 bar MAP transfer function.

This will show the gains of the boost optimization, fueling, and wastegate mod.

I am super excited!
Subscribed!!! Can't wait to see results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and me both! You and me both!!!!

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 09, 2017, 08:48:49 PM
Looking forward to it!...your stock pull will be a little higher than normal though....since you are catless and will likely have 0 knock retard and be running the full amount allowed of spark advance because of the e20 in the tank

But it will still be nice to see what the boost, spark and throttle optimization yields

You need no hookups if they ask...no boost or wideband most shops charge for wideband hookup

F8tlsho you and derf's tunes are extremely close to eachother if memory serves me....so maybe this will serve as a decent approximation for you

It should still serve as a good representation of the gains from an AJPTurbo Tune, as it will show the gains from the boost, opened up spark limit, and wastegate mod.

That is also good to know for me, as it tells me this car should run low 12s or maybe break into the 11's based on the times he has run with his car.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Hey derf, get the dyno data files, too, if they'll give them to you!

2013 XSport

AJP turbo

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 09, 2017, 09:28:46 PM

Yeah good idea...if you have the raw files you can view them with winpep dynojet software and overlay different runs and see how stock compares
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 09, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Yeah good idea...if you have the raw files you can view them with winpep dynojet software and overlay different runs and see how stock compares

I know a guy who can Excel the $hit out of the raw data, too! LOL

2013 XSport

derfdog15

I'll see what I can do!

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 09, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Definitely something I want to be able do to!

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 09, 2017, 09:32:39 PM

I know a guy who can Excel the $hit out of the raw data, too! LOL

Gee, I wonder who that could be .... *unsuspecting whistling*
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

derfdog15

I am dynoing my car later today, on a Dynojet 424 with Linked Rollers and a Load Cell.

Talking to AJPTurbo he mentioned when he dyno'd his car on a similar Dynojet it acted a bit weird dynoing in 3rd, but 4th worked out well. Suggested possibly even dynoing in 5th gear as it is 1:1.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Just trying to educate myself a bit more.

AJP turbo

It didnt act wierd but there was a lot of drag and load on the linked dynojet i was on...my 3rd gear pull lasted around 12 seconds.....ive ran 5th gear on my mustang and the pull lasted the same

When the rollers were linked it felt like the car had 1000 lbs on it...it just seemed unnatural how slow the car pulled through the gear

I would caution that if you try a gear like 4th or 5th and the pull gets near or past 20 seconds that is a long time at wot while sitting still and things get incredibly hot...i never see dyno vids that last 20 seconds.

I told the guy at my shop i wanted 1:1  and he kinda shook his head and said may want to try a lower gear and see how long it takes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Per my prior e-mail exchanges with AJP, it was suggested to me to use a gear that allows a pull over 10-15 seconds. Longer than that, you are putting unneeded strain on the PT.

I ran my last round of Explorer dyno testing in 3rd gear, and I was way toward the bottom end of that range (maybe even 9 sec, I'd have to double check). I did something like 20 pulls, though, and wanted to be extra cautious not to over-strain my truck. I also did all my on-road data logs in 3rd gear, so I wanted to have a comparison to my dyno pulls.

Traditional inertia dynos calculate force (F=ma) using the known mass of the rollers and the acceleration of the vehicle, which is why it's important to try and run as close to 1:1 gear as possible to minimize drivetrain losses and errors from correction factors. Load based dynos (like the Mustang I ran on) uses a load cell to measure roll force directly, so gearing doesn't really matter.

You mentioned that the DJ you'll be on has a load cell as well, so maybe gearing doesn't matter as much? I think the most important thing is to run all YOUR pulls in the same gear (now and in the future). In that case, even if your absolute numbers are off a little, your relative gains/measurements will be accurate.

Couple other thoughts based on my recent experience:

1) Have them target your pulls from 2000 - 6000 RPM
2) If you decide to data log, I found it much easier to just use the X4, and I loaded the data onto my laptop between pulls. I originally tried to log directly to the laptop but had persistent connectivity issues with all the ignition cycling.
3) Run with the hood up. Most dyno shops don't have high velocity fans, and there's no sense in heat soaking your engine. Hood up will allow intake temps as close to ambient as possible (more representative of real-world driving) and not overcook your engine bay due to otherwise lower air velocities.
4) My XSport has a cooling duct under the right side of the engine that runs to the rear turbo. I brought my own separate blower fan to blow air down this cooling duct, since the shop fan didn't direct much air there. Not sure if the SHO has something similar or not.
5) I monitored CHT temps and did not start my next run until temps were back down to where we started the prior pull.

Have fun!! :)
2013 XSport

derfdog15

Thanks guys, they have a lot of experience with AWD cars so I will ask for their guidance as well. CHT seems like a good metric to keep constant so I will try to do that as well.

No clue about a cooling duct, but I am going straight from work, so not prepared to that level. I expect three pulls (with only two being full out performance tuned) will not put much strain so all should go well.

I'll try and update the relevant threads with my results once I have them.

As for logging, I am for sure going to log with the X4, most likely one log file with the two performance tune pulls, I will dump the log to my laptop before tuning to stock, then a log for the stock tune.

2K to 6K sounds about perfect, and is almost identical to most of my 3rd gear road tune pulls, so we should be good in that aspect as well.

AJPTurbo was kind enough to revise my "stock" tune, to allow for holding the gear, so I can set it into 3rd and let it rip for both pulls.

Thanks again guys!

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 10, 2017, 12:14:27 PM

AJPTurbo was kind enough to revise my "stock" tune, to allow for holding the gear, so I can set it into 3rd and let it rip for both pulls.

He's a peach, ain't he?! :)

He did the same for me and made it SOOO much easier on the dyno (and for data logs)!

One last thing... If you can, bring a flash drive for your raw data. Some dyno computers aren't hooked up to the interwebs.

2013 XSport

Colorado-SHOBro

derfdog15- you're sounding a little sick don't ya think? ;) Probably be best to leave work early and head to the dyno shop so we can all see the results and get on with the rest of our day . . or just hang up on analyzing your dyno sheets and logs for the rest of the evening. Bwaahaa
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 10, 2017, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 10, 2017, 12:14:27 PM

He's a peach, ain't he?! :)

He did the same for me and made it SOOO much easier on the dyno (and for data logs)!

One last thing... If you can, bring a flash drive for your raw data. Some dyno computers aren't hooked up to the interwebs.

Yeah I got my Rev1 logs for him before I got real stock logs, way back when, and then I had the hardest time getting a 3rd gear stock pull because I couldnt get it to hold.

I had a flash drive but thankfully they were connected to the internet so he emailed me my raw files. I will probably make a seperate post for the results but will attach it all so you can work your magic!

Quote from: 8nutz8 on January 10, 2017, 01:55:59 PM
derfdog15- you're sounding a little sick don't ya think? ;) Probably be best to leave work early and head to the dyno shop so we can all see the results and get on with the rest of our day . . or just hang up on analyzing your dyno sheets and logs for the rest of the evening. Bwaahaa

I was supposed to leave 1hr early, and ended up leaving 15 minutes late, got to the dyno 30 minutes late, but they were super cool. once the WinPEP software is done installing I'll get my results up!

(EDIT - Admin) Dyno Results:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7289.0.html

MiWiAu

Nice dude (and AJP Turbo)!

Just wondering, what gear did you end up using for your pulls?

When I dynoed my XSport, my first runs generally always seemed a tad low as well. Not sure why.
2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on January 10, 2017, 08:16:38 PM
Nice dude (and AJP Turbo)!

Just wondering, what gear did you end up using for your pulls?

When I dynoed my XSport, my first runs generally always seemed a tad low as well. Not sure why.

We ended up running in 3rd gear, the shop guys though it holding the gear in SST was amazing, they said it made it way easier.

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 10, 2017, 08:19:09 PM

We ended up running in 3rd gear, the shop guys though it holding the gear in SST was amazing, they said it made it way easier.

Heck yeah. When I ran my Unleashed tune, it kept downshifting and wanted to leap off the rollers. I even got a TMS fault that finally cleared when I rolled out of the parking lot.

SST gear hold FTW!

Make sure you take some notes on how you were configured (hood open, fan placement, gear, etc), so when you go back with all your fancy mods and giant turbos you can try to be as consistent as possible with your roller setup. :)
2013 XSport