• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo boost regulator mod with EcoPowerParts charge pipes

Started by derfdog15, December 17, 2016, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddlopes

Quote from: jbeez on August 05, 2017, 06:13:25 PM
Quote from: ddlopes on August 05, 2017, 05:25:06 PM
I had a flange made...
Local place to you or online?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Local custom car builder... he also build my custom xpipe with a boost activated cutout...
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

jbeez

Happen to be near me at all? I'm in southeastern PA :|   Looking to get at least the tial setup next and I just had downpiipes put on and was looking at those cutout mods. What do you think of that cutout you have, looks nice?

What did each of those cost?
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

ddlopes

Quote from: jbeez on August 05, 2017, 08:11:01 PM
Happen to be near me at all? I'm in southeastern PA :|   Looking to get at least the tial setup next and I just had downpiipes put on and was looking at those cutout mods. What do you think of that cutout you have, looks nice?

I live in southeastern Massachusetts. I love the exhaust cutout although very expensive approximately $2000. The wastegate mod was around $650 complete with the gate and repowdercoating the pipe
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

jbeez

Quote from: ddlopes on August 06, 2017, 07:38:36 AM

I live in southeastern Massachusetts. I love the exhaust cutout although very expensive approximately $2000. The wastegate mod was around $650 complete with the gate and repowdercoating the pipe
Someone told me they ran the wastegate mod and car was running hotter vs the throttle control method. Do you find that with yours?

K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

StealBlueSho

Quote from: jbeez on August 06, 2017, 08:07:05 AM

Someone told me they ran the wastegate mod and car was running hotter vs the throttle control method. Do you find that with yours?

That was me... and yes, I have datalogs to prove it.  It's a great modification but my turbos did run hotter. First through second gear was not bad as the wastegate mod didn't open much... third gear with no throttle control the wastegate opens longer which causes the turbos to work harder to keep the boost..

I didn't poo poo the modification. I loved it when I ran it, but I believe personally using the throttle works better on this car to control the boost spikes.

Again... this is just my opinion on my car... others run it and like it..

There are dynos of those with and without the modification... they are identical in curve and output... so why stress the turbos for little to no gain?

Keeping the throttle open does make the car much more responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

I should clarify...

This mod is great if you have fuel pressure issues, and you don't hammer the car or track it often. For going around town and taking out the occasional STI...

If you hammer it or track it you will run hotter... I was monitoring CHT and IAT2 between my wastegate tunes and non-wastegate tunes...

The wastegate tunes had a steeper slope on both of the datapoints.  Which is not a bad thing necessarily if you are just doing the occasional blast.

I wanted to eventually track my car and get consistent times etc... for which I felt not using the wastegate was better.

jbeez

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 06, 2017, 09:08:41 AM

That was me... and yes, I have datalogs to prove it.  It's a great modification but my turbos did run hotter. First through second gear was not bad as the wastegate mod didn't open much... third gear with no throttle control the wastegate opens longer which causes the turbos to work harder to keep the boost..

I didn't poo poo the modification. I loved it when I ran it, but I believe personally using the throttle works better on this car to control the boost spikes.

There are dynos of those with and without the modification... they are identical in curve and output... so why stress the turbos for little to no gain?

Super helpful post. No gain in HP or 1/4? Thought it did but i believe you, i dont recall seeing anything proof wise in the threads besides seat of the pants stuff.  Ok I may skip that mod, rather not stress the turbos if I don't need to.

Thanks for the great insight!

ddlopes

AJP turbo

I would say this mod is not about horse power gain. It's about mitigating boost spikes and the symptoms that go along with it such as high pressure fuel drop due to the sudden increase in load that this fuel system can't handle and KR from boost spiking 4-5 psi quickly. While keeping the throttle open which is no doubt more efficient.

Steal Blue also used an inline manual boost controller that I will say gave me datalogs that look a bit different than others I have seen with this mod. I didn't care for the manual boost controller along with this mod but he liked to further modify his car and is tweak to his liking....For some reason I think using the manual boost controller kept higher at times...I think when some of the reference boost signal that is going through the solenoids is bled off from the factory solenoid and the MBC a few different things were going on.

Running hotter I dunno, I didn't see coolant temps affected. And I usually try not to exceed wastegate duty cycle in the 80% range with or without the wastegate mod...I've see plenty of other tunes where the wastegate duty wildly exceeds that.

If I tune for the wastegate mod and no extra manipulation is going on top of that then the wastegate mod should only open briefly at times and be completely passive...Only the boost pressure above desired amounts will be bled off and affect turbos minimally.

I would say using the throttle is without a doubt NOT as effective to control boos spikes...There is a delay...The ECU has to see the boost go above desired then close the throttle and it takes a bit to lower boost. With the wastegate mod the boost pressure directly acts on the diaphragm and it opens the gate.

I have plenty of logs where using throttle to control the spikes still allows 5 psi spikes but they don't last long....With the wastegate mod you don't get spikes when tuned properly...You get small boost increases at the upshifts but no spikes

I can't see a downside to the wastegate mod other than added cost and a little more time tuning.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Forgot all about my MBC.... lol... but I stand by my opinion... 1-2 gear was a monster... the start of 3rd was pretty wicked... during the long pull through third was where I felt that the IATs effecting spark too much for me...but again... my opinion.

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 06, 2017, 10:51:21 AM
Forgot all about my MBC.... lol... but I stand by my opinion... 1-2 gear was a monster... the start of 3rd was pretty wicked... during the long pull through third was where I felt that the IATs effecting spark too much for me...but again... my opinion.

Well I was just looking through some of our old emails and I was going to quote you on you saying how hard it pulled lol so I was going to question you on the power gains not being there.

But anyway, your car seemed to like the spark advance even at higher boost. And I recall us running around 210-220 KPA or well over 15 psi at the end of summer so I could see the IAT's getting pretty high but your car always wanted more spark. So the IAT's didn't seem to adversely effect us

But I have no dog in the fight and don't make money on the wastegate mod so I wouldn't discourage people from the mod on the basis of heat....For my car I like the flat boost curves with open throttle and stable fuel pressure....The direct injection relies on the fuel pressure to combat KR so if this mod helps that and mitigates boost spikes and keeps the throttle open I'd take that.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 06, 2017, 11:06:27 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 06, 2017, 10:51:21 AM

Well I was just looking through some of our old emails and I was going to quote you on you saying how hard it pulled lol so I was going to question you on the power gains not being there.

But anyway, your car seemed to like the spark advance even at higher boost. And I recall us running around 210-220 KPA or well over 15 psi at the end of summer so I could see the IAT's getting pretty high but your car always wanted more spark. So the IAT's didn't seem to adversely effect us

But I have no dog in the fight and don't make money on the wastegate mod so I wouldn't discourage people from the mod on the basis of heat....For my car I like the flat boost curves with open throttle and stable fuel pressure....The direct injection relies on the fuel pressure to combat KR so if this mod helps that and mitigates boost spikes and keeps the throttle open I'd take that.

Quote me all day! I was and am still a supporter of this modification to control boost spikes which allowed us to push the car quite a bit further with more boost and spark.  And I really don't see an issue with it if your not worried about IATs. The only reason I sold everything off including the tuner was I thought I was selling my car.

I don't think the mod adds power but it does allow you to push more boost. A 14psi tune with the mod vs without the mod doesn't make anymore power... and when you hit third gear with this mod your riding those boost spikes A LOT longer which does tend create more heat... I dunno... with the meth now I can't really back and test it again...

It really did solve a lot of problems I had with fuel pressure. Just ran hot. I will try to find some logs that show it... I know that the IATs got hotter faster on third gear...the slope was steeper...

jbeez

Quote from: ddlopes on August 06, 2017, 10:24:09 AM
No my temp was not affected

sorry was on my phone it was just quoting everything when I tried to reply to anyone lol

AJP turbo

Just a quick snipet...Trying to compare apples to apples so it's the same car before and after the mod.
Green is boost
Light blue is throttle
Dark blue is fuel pressure

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

f8tlSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 06, 2017, 09:08:41 AM

I did it also and I now do not have it on anymore. Got Brad regulating throttle to stop spikes. E30 tune tears it up

2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq