• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone use an engine "pre-lube system"?

Started by jbrown9999, December 14, 2016, 10:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown9999

Quick background, before my SHO, I had a Crown Vic for 16 years and before that I had a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX that I had installed a manual boost controller, ported intake and aftermarket intake.
So, I'm back to another AWD Turbo!

Back then, oil starvation and coking on the turbos was a big deal so I invested in a pre-lube system that would delay startup until oil pressure had kicked in and then actually keep oil circulating after shut down to cool the turbos.

Ok, enough history.  I know the main journals on our turbos are both oil lubricated and have a water jacket so coking is no longer a problem, but what about startup oil starvation?  Has anyone installed or considered installing a pre-lube system?  The only one I can find now is this http://www.engineprelube.com/ ?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

The Bone

To avoid any worries I always use Motorcraft full synthetic in my 12 SHO
12 SHO

SHOdded

Oils have also improved manifold over the years, so using a quality full synthetic along with an MC filter should minimize worries.  The turbos don't kick in right away because they can spin up so fast.  By that time, oil pressure should have built up already.  I would worry more about leaks from the oil supply lines than oil pressure TBH.

Definitely would not mind having the prelube system though!  One can always crank with the gas pedal to the floor (to cut off injectors) to get the oil flowing, but that can be cumbersome and noisy.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Agree with Bone.....just use a quality full synthetic oil such as Amsoil or Redline and your engine and car will be golden in conjunction with the Motorcraft Fl-500s oil filter and to top it off a bottle of Heet on every tank during the cold winter months.
I'm going on almost 4 years of sub-zero Temps here in NY and no issues whatsoever and make sure to top off the fluids . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on December 15, 2016, 07:20:46 AM
Oils have also improved manifold over the years, so using a quality full synthetic along with an MC filter should minimize worries.  The turbos don't kick in right away because they can spin up so fast.  By that time, oil pressure should have built up already.  I would worry more about leaks from the oil supply lines than oil pressure TBH.

Definitely would not mind having the prelube system though!  One can always crank with the gas pedal to the floor (to cut off injectors) to get the oil flowing, but that can be cumbersome and noisy.
MANU you beat me on that one,lol Z  ;)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|