• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

1/8th vs. 1/4

Started by derfdog15, December 14, 2016, 10:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Hey guys,

I was planning on going to a 1/4 mile track the week between christmas and new years for test and tune (once I get my downpipes on) since I'll be in FL and it was supposed to be open. Well...they changed the schedule. Now the only option is a 1/8 mile track, that is about an hour extra drive.

Any suggestions? I still want to see how the E20 tune (current tune) and the downpipes(will be installed once I track it) help the times, but I've only ever done 1/4 mile. I know my timeslips have 1/8 times so I guess I could compare that? What would low 12's quarter be in eight (high 7s?).

My best 1/4 mile run, I ran 8.276 @ 84.95 in the 8th. 12.87 @ 107 1/4.

Guess I am just trying to gauge if it is worth it to run at the 1/8 track, as it will be my only track opportunity till atleast april based on the weather and the fact I work/live in Indiana currently.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

Quote from: SHOdded on December 15, 2016, 09:15:32 AM
Any options n Florida?

The track I was going to go to is an hour south of my parents. The 1/8th track is 3 ish hours to the west. Both in Florida. If I was going to be there the weekend after new years (Jan 6th weekend) then I would be set as almost all the tracks in FL are doing test and tunes that weekend. But for the week of 12/25-12/31 only option is the 1/8th track.

Just trying to figure out if its worth it to drive 3 hours for a 1/8 mile track, or just do my downpipe install, and wait till tracks open back up in Indiana.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

SHOdded

Me, I'd just wait.  Unless you love going to the tracks, the time is better spent with family/shopping/whatever.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

I suppose the 1/8 is better than nothing but I would just wait.   Your 60 foot times are critical for both but more so for the 1/8.  The 60 has a lot to do with driver technique and traction.  To me, the acid test of performance is the 1/4 and even more specifically, how does it do from the 1000 foot mark or even the 1/8 mile on since that is all car and no driver.

derfdog15

Quote from: SHOdded on December 15, 2016, 09:47:36 AM
Me, I'd just wait.  Unless you love going to the tracks, the time is better spent with family/shopping/whatever.

Yeah that is what I am leaning towards. Maybe my dad and I can finally get the stock 3.8 out of the mustang and the 4.3 stroker in!

Quote from: Brucelinc on December 15, 2016, 09:52:50 AM
I suppose the 1/8 is better than nothing but I would just wait.   Your 60 foot times are critical for both but more so for the 1/8.  The 60 has a lot to do with driver technique and traction.  To me, the acid test of performance is the 1/4 and even more specifically, how does it do from the 1000 foot mark or even the 1/8 mile on since that is all car and no driver.

Yeah, I don't really see my 60' getting any better at the current moment, if anything with the movement in the power from downpipes, I may see worse 60' my first run or two because I'll need to dial in my launch again (plus my last track time was on a straight 93 tune).

I think I'll just get the downpipes installed, and work on fab for my charge piping/boost regulator mod, then move on and see about getting the engine swapped in the mustang. Then come april, I can run the SHO, with my full mod list all done (minus ATP turbos).