• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2016 SHO - differences in PCV system

Started by metroplex, November 27, 2016, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

I was at the dragstrip today and saw another racer with a SHO. His was a 100% stock 2016 SHO, and said he was running 13.5 stock. I've seen stock SHO's run high 13s/low 14s stock at the same track. We chatted and I took a gander at his engine. I noticed there were some differences in the 2016 that I did not see in the 2015 or my 2014. It had composite cam covers instead of aluminum/magnesium, did not have the PCV vapor separator, and used some kind of solenoid for the crankcase fresh air vent tube.

My guess is that the solenoid shuts off that vent tube so the PCV doesn't suck in oil vapors, or at least restricts that tube flow a bit. I wonder how that is controlled by the ECU, probably by the amount of manifold vacuum is present?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

BlueSHO

Interesting. I'll have to check mine as I have the composite cam covers but will have to look at the pcv setup.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

metroplex

Here's mine, with the alloy cam covers and the vapor separator on the PCV system. The tube that runs in the front of the engine is just a straight tube. Traditionally, the tube that goes from the cam cover/crank cover to the air intake tract is a fresh air tube (allows air to flow into the crankcase) while the tube that goes from the cam cover to the throttle body/intake manifold is the PCV line which allows for vapors to flow from the engine back into the intake stream.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

BlueSHO

The wife has the SHO now or I would look. Here's cropped pictures of the 16 you showed and yours. Your saying there is a solenoid on the fresh air tube?

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

metroplex

The vapor separator (the black box sitting on my alloy cam cover) is not on the 2016. From what I recall looking at someone else's 2015 SHO earlier this year at the track, he had the alloy covers and the vapor separator.

Look at my 2nd attached pic in the first post, and trace the air tube from the cam cover to the right side of the pic. See the wiring harness with yellow wires? That is what I presume to be a solenoid or some type of valve that is electronically controlled. I'd imagine it is to restrict/block airflow for the crankcase so that the PCV system doesn't allow vapors to be ingested into the intake manifold/combustion chambers to reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves. I don't know how this affects piston ring sealing.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

So that would mean the SHO AND the XSport have that solenoid on the fresh air tube.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Its an EGR pressure feedback sensor on the my2016 and more info can be found on  Page 120 and up. Z    http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1505.pdf   

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

We don't have EGR systems anymore, and I know that sensor on my old Crown Vic's 4.6, I don't believe this is the same thing. Also, the cam covers you posted show 2 spool valves for the Ti-VCT. Does that mean the F-150s went to the composite covers? I didn't know if the transverse EB 3.5's went to Ti-VCT, my 2014 is still VCT for intake only.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

Maybe the Crankcase Pressure Sensor (clean side) on pg 133
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1604.pdf

QuotePCV System Monitor – Turbocharged Engine with MAP Sensor
The fresh air hose connects the Air Induction System (AIS) to the rocker cover to provide fresh, filtered clean air
into the crankcase as the crankcase vapors are evacuated. The PCV valve has a spring loaded, tapered pintle and
orifice that limits the amount of crankcase vapors that are inducted into the engine. The least amount of flow occurs
during  idle  when  manifold  vacuum  is  high.  As  engine  load  increases,  manifold  vacuum  decreases  which  al
low more flow. Under boosted conditions, there is no flow through the PCV valve. As crankcase pressure increases,
blow  by  vapors  get  pushed  through  the  fresh  air  tube  into  the  Air  Induction  System  (AIS)  where  they  will  be
inducted into the engine. 

Starting in the 2015 MY, Ford will be using a Crankcase Pressure Sensor (CKCP) to detect a disconnection of the
fresh  air  hose.  A  disconnection  of  the  fresh  air  hose  would  allow  the  discharge  of  crankcase  vapor  into  the
atmosphere while the engine was under boost. The diagram below shows a schematic of the PCV system. The
CKCP sensor is installed in the fresh air hose. The fresh air hose has two connection points. The connection at the
AIS system is called the "Clean side" connection while the connection at the rocker cover/engine is called the "dirty
side" connection.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

All 2010+ SHOs are VCT engines, not Ti-VCT.  The 3.5/3.7 (?) NA engines in the (2012+ at least) Taurus are Ti-VCT.

BlueSHO

Here's what's on my early build (#141) 16 SHO..

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

ZSHO

The 10+SHO has a VCT and more info can be had on page 3 including the PCV system.  Z       https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiMTZ3a0wyU0JCYkZJN1ZTT3VEd3Fic09JNTlv/view

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

Did they remove the vapor separator for any specific reason?
Also, why the change to composite covers? Weight savings?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on November 27, 2016, 07:17:37 PM
Did they remove the vapor separator for any specific reason?
Also, why the change to composite covers? Weight savings?
I can attest that the  composite covers are actually heavier than the aluminum. Z

BlueSHO

Is that solenoid or sensor I took a picture of not on the 15 and older SHO's?
I've got 10k miles on mine which I know isn't a lot but when I changed out my noisemaker I checked the CAC, throttebody and inlet tube and saw zero oil no film residue or anything..

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra