• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

'10 Ford Taurus SHO injector/catalytic converter issues

Started by drummerboy82, November 27, 2016, 10:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy82

I purchased a '10 Ford Taurus SHO new.  The car has been well taken care of, e.g. oil changes, fixed anything that needed fixing.  The car just turned 100k miles and has been "adult" driven.  Overall I've been very pleased with the car up until May '15.  We were 90 miles from home when the check engine light illuminated and the car lost power as we were entering the Interstate.  We had the car towed home and taken to a local Ford Dealership where they replaced the #3 injector and 5 plugs (apparently they couldn't get the 6th one out).  $1240 and 11-days later I get it back.  November '15 I get another check engine light indicator and take it to my local mechanic.  They have to replace the catalytic converter.  The mechanic theorized that the injector issue back in May damaged the converter.  $1293.00 later the problem is fixed.  Fast forward to January '16 the check engine light is illuminated again and the car is taken back to the Ford Dealership where another catalytic converter is bad.  $1293.00 later the car is fixed.  Both times when I took the car to Ford I called and complained to the Ford Customer Care team (apparently $3,800 in car repair in 6 months is acceptable to Ford).  Both times to no avail.  Yesterday, 11/26/16, the check engine light is illuminated again!  I take it back to my mechanic and was told that the spark plugs and coil need to be replaced.  I authorize the service (what option do i have?) to only receive a call later in the day from my mechanic.  He stated that he replaced the coils and plugs but the check engine light is still illuminated.  They reread the code and it's pointing to a defective injector.  He said that he called the Ford Dealership and was told the injectors are back ordered and they don't have a timeline on if or when they will receive them.  The Ford representative told my mechanic that he should see if he can purchase a "used" injector and install it since he has no idea when they will have them back in stock.  I've Googled Ford Ecoboost injector issues and I'm not finding much on the internet.  Consequently, I'm starting to think that I either have a "lemon" or this is a much bigger problem that Ford isn't disclosing.  Either way I'm losing confidence in this car and Ford as a company.  Any comments or suggestions are hereby solicited.  Thank you for reading.

Quinid

My 2010 went through the same thing at 95k. They replaced all the injectors, and it was fixed. Then 3 days later, one catalytic converter goes bad. Unburnt fuel eats cats alive. That's normal.

When it comes to direct injection injectors, when one goes bad near high mileage, you replace them all. Thats how it goes in the diesel world. Don't chase injectors, replace them all at once. It's cheaper in the long run. Direct injection is a costly repair due to location of the injectors.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

SHOdded

Sorry to hear about the car troubles, but Quinid is right on target.  We see a lot of cases of failed injectors on this forum, and the real solution is to replace all of them, as suggested above.  The fact that the injectors are backordered is not good, hope it's not a HUGE backlog.  Definitely make sure all 6 are ordered & replaced.  Then I believe faith in your SHO will be restored.  Plugs are supposed to last 100K miles, but if you "exercise" the car, it can be half that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

drummerboy82

Thank you for the replies.  Update, took the car to a local Ford Dealership and they are getting low compression from cylinder #1.  They want to take apart the top cover to see if there is any damage to the top part of the engine at a cost of approx. $600-$700.  Assuming they don't find a problem, it will point to a bad cylinder resulting in an engine replacement in the range of $6-$7k!  I'm pulling the pin on this car and Ford!  Won't ever purchase another Ford!  Sorry Ecoboost readers, 100k miles on a 6 yr old car, that I purchased new and maintained, is unacceptable!  Buyer Beware!!!

Quinid

I understand the frustration. I have a rule that I myself did not follow. Never buy a car that is the first of the new chassis or engine. There will always be unforseen problems that will be addresses on late models to come. Doesnt matter the brand These SHO were both nee chassis and engine unfortunately.

SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod

Quinid

Also newer cars will eventually be direct injection if not electric. Direct injectors go through much more stress than old fashion injectors. But it's the future.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!