• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Helmets

Started by SoCalSHO, July 25, 2013, 12:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalSHO

Did not see anywhere to post under the racing section. Feel free to move to the right place.

So, what helmets are you guys using for drag racing, and why that specific helmet? Also, what is the latest version I should be looking for? I know there are some rules for helmets on the strip, but I have not needed to look at them until this car. Where are you buying them for the best prices. Thanks!
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

DJE624

I am also interested to know this.  I don't plan on going to the strip all the time.  Maybe a couple times.  I don't want to fork out a couple hundred just to have it sit on the shelf. 

SoCalSHO

Quote from: DJE624 on July 25, 2013, 12:19:26 AM
I am also interested to know this.  I don't plan on going to the strip all the time.  Maybe a couple times.  I don't want to fork out a couple hundred just to have it sit on the shelf. 

Amen, Out closest track is Irwindale, (1/8 mile), and you need a helmet for faster than 8.9 I believe. I used to race out in Palmdale (LACR) but they closed down years ago (1/4 mile). was never fast enough to have to buy a helmet. haha
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

SoCalSHO

Can you use MC helmets? I like this http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro-eliminator-sa2010-helmet then I can look like the Stig. It seems as though the standard is SA2010. You think Sebastian Vettel will let me use his helmet?
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

DJE624

The one time I went to the strip back in '90, I used a snowmobile helmet.  :biggrin:

SoCalSHO

Haha. You into snowmobile racing too? JK
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

DJE624

LOL  We had a couple.  The helmet was handy.

SoCalSHO

Are you guys racing with full face or an open (Half-face) helmet?
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

geswek

Bicycle helmet foo!

That's how Lord Tubby rolls.

mjhpadi

Ahh, another area that I like to think I can give some intelligent input.  First I never rode cycle without a helmet and when I started riding Bell helmets were among the best helmets out there.  Now the 2 that I feel are the best (and worth the cost)are Impact Racing...they are the best, it's what all the pros use.  Yes, they are expensive, but worth it.  Personally when racing a street car, here's the helmet I would pick up: http://www.impactraceproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1509

The other helmet brand I really like is Simpson.  However, Mr. Simpson sold that company and now is Impact, which is why that's my my #1 brand.  Impact is what ever Funny Car driver I know (and Top Fuel) use...and again, I can't stress enought how much these helmets are tested and how they are worth the price.

Just to babble on a bit...the helmet I recommend is for racing a street car.  If I were going in a full race only car or motorcycle, then I would go with a full face helmet.  I can go into more detail why if anyone gives a rat's butt!
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SoCalSHO

Quote from: geswek on August 03, 2013, 09:46:03 PM
Bicycle helmet foo!

That's how Lord Tubby rolls.

Lol, I Wouldn't Expect Anything Less FromYou. LighterWeight=MoreSpeed
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

mjhpadi

2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

0 Down $50 mo for 4 Yrs.