• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OCIs?

Started by cnatra, November 13, 2016, 04:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnatra

So how many miles is everyone going for their OCIs ?

Think I'm going to stick with 5k .

2015 SHO PP

AJP turbo

I would follow the owners manual and or the recommendation of the oil mfg. instead what people say
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

As long as the recommended oil is used, LOL!  The correct weight is listed on the oil filler cap, and the oil should meet the specification in the owner's manual.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

cnatra

I know what oil Ford recommends just curious if there's a consensus on going with a more conservative oil change interval like 5000mi or less or if most people simply rely on the oil life monitor .

It would seem these DI engines along with the extra demands from turbos might lend themselves to more frequent oil changes.

I know fuel dilution and early viscosity shearing can be factors in ecoboost engines.

2015 SHO PP

Randy Stinchcomb

I use full synthetic but I still change oil around 3k, but that's me.
Just did my 1st oil change on my wifes new (to her) 2015 Sport, had 19k on it and the dealership was supposedly changed it before we took delivery of it. They use Motorcraft 5W30 semi-synthetic but it look to dark for my liking and I know the dealership well, worked there fir 15 years. So I know the shenanigans that goes on, new filter and just Topped Off the oil.

SHOdded

Can't go wrong with more frequent oil changes.  But remember OCI recommendations are always time or mileage whichever comes first.  The IOLM is not necessarily intelligent, so I would rather track engine hours than miles personally.  Even while it is sitting, oil can continue to degrade, chemical reactions don't stop, though they are quite slowed down.  One person's 5000 miles is not necessarily another's.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Randy Stinchcomb

I'm glad I changed it, now at cold start up the engine sounds a little more quite, before it seemed like there was some "clatter" in the Valve train. I used Pennzoil 5W30 full synthetic and 1 bottle of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer

derfdog15

I do 5k changes on my SHO, the dealer/shops sticker the car for a 7500mi change, which is what they claim to be optimum for the semi-synthetic. Manual calls for 10k/when the dash tells you; which I am not comfortable with.

5k with motorcraft semi-synthetic is a nice interval for me. I'll be interested to see the oil this time, as I have started running an E20 tune.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car