• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What tablets are you using for extra gauges?

Started by FearlessAZ, November 11, 2016, 07:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearlessAZ

I have been looking at quite a few threads for people mounting tablets for gauges and such. Haven't seen any updated in a while. Just curious what Tablets everyone is using. I have been researching for the upcoming holiday season.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

Was using a Samsung Tab 3 till the digitizer went AWOL.  Still gotta fix that.  Using an S5 in airplane mode in the meantime, works well enough for datalogging purposes.  If only the iOS accepted the MX BT adapters :(
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

I was thinking of going with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. This is the first time I have been remotely interested in the tablet market. I would like to keep Android. Nothing against iOS but it just isn't my cup of tea. It would be something I use in the house as well as the SHO. Also, would love to be able to use it with my DSLR for uploading and portfolio type stuff. I really want to pick up on my photography for next year.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

I believe so. Best buy has a wifi model and a wifi+lte model. Samsung's website says in certain countries it has cellular.

sholxgt

FWIW, I have owned countless tablets and only two have lasted...

Google Nexus 7 2013 edition
iPad Mini

Friends that have iPads still have the first ones they bought even if they have upgraded.  Friends with droid tablets and myself have replaced countless ones.  We have a Galaxy Tab3 that is failing as I type this and will be replaced.  That will be the third Samsung device that has eventually failed.  Not to mention the Kindles, RCA, Hisense, etc.

I should add that I am NOT an apple fan boy.  I don't like the company itself at all and fought for years to not switch.  Just got sick of buying new tablets and phones every year to 2 years. 

My suggestion is don't spend a lot on a droid tablet.  Pick one that does what you want and know up front that it's not a long term investment.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Usmcsho

Samsung tab E

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2011 Platinum Tricoat Metallic nav, BLIS, backup camera, moonroof, Sony Premium Sound. LIvernois Stage 1 with 3 bar map sensor coming soon

SHOdded

The main drawback of the Android devices we have had is the eventual failure of the digitizers.  Haven't had to replace a battery yet.  The Tab 3 I bought used, so it is now about 3.5 years old.  If I am successful in replacing the digitizer, it'll be back on the road, YAY!

The iPad has lasted longest so far, 4 years & counting.  But the digitizer is showing signs of aging.  Display is NICE though.

FearlessAZ

I don't like Samsung phones at all. But the for all the tablets on the market, good ones are few and far between. I just need something with a good IPS screen, 7 or 8 inch display, good processor and preferably android (like messing around with stuff in OS).

SHOdded

You are probably aware already, but you can use http://www.gsmarena.com / http://www.phonearena.com to help spec out the devices you are interested in.

FearlessAZ

Yup. I have used it quite a bit. Just picky when it comes to technology :P

sholxgt

Quote from: FearlessAZ on November 11, 2016, 10:26:58 AM
I don't like Samsung phones at all. But the for all the tablets on the market, good ones are few and far between. I just need something with a good IPS screen, 7 or 8 inch display, good processor and preferably android (like messing around with stuff in OS).

We have owned almost as many Samsung tablets as Samsung phones.  I won't buy either again.  Found them to be equally unreliable.  I blame the operating system more than the hardware though.  Samsung takes the droid OS and feels the need to modify it.  I feel that makes it less stable.

Google devices run android in it's native unaltered state since they are the owner of android.  My 4 year old Nexus tablet is the only droid device I have from that era that still works.  Maybe just coincidence, but...
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

FearlessAZ

Quote from: sholxgt on November 11, 2016, 10:36:47 AM
Quote from: FearlessAZ on November 11, 2016, 10:26:58 AM

We have owned almost as many Samsung tablets as Samsung phones.  I won't buy either again.  Found them to be equally unreliable.  I blame the operating system more than the hardware though.  Samsung takes the droid OS and feels the need to modify it.  I feel that makes it less stable.

Google devices run android in it's native unaltered state since they are the owner of android.  My 4 year old Nexus tablet is the only droid device I have from that era that still works.  Maybe just coincidence, but...

I feel you. I have had a couple Samsung phones and I always hate it. I got friends that swear by it buy I just can't buy into it. I will probably end up getting something a lot cheaper than the S2.

sholxgt

I should be more specific about my droid troubles.  The devices start crashing regularly and doing random reboots.  Those can usually be temporarily solved by doing factory resets and starting over, but I have NEVER done a factory reset with any of my iOS devices and never had a crash.  My 6 year old iPhone 4 can still be turned on and used today.

To be fair, same goes for my Nexus tablet.  No factory resets or crash issues.

Final straw in this house was a $2,000 Sony TV we purchased.  The picture quality and TV itself were AMAZING.  Too bad that it randomly turned itself off and did reboots due to the Android operating system.  We would be mid-movie and it would just turn off and then we'd get the Android logo.  Researching after the purchase showed that others had the same problem.  The Best Buy manager took it back and said his personal Sony TV had the same issue.  No overheating or other problem.  Just the OS crashing randomly.

SHOdded

Aren't you glad our cars are computer controller LOL!