• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rock and a Hard place...

Started by jrb123, November 03, 2016, 03:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrb123

Engine started making a funny grinding noise through bottom of 2 and 3. Took it to the dealership today, They called back saying coolant is mixing with my oil.(Which is what they say could be the cause of it being stubborn to start and the times) Had a previous post about the hard starting issue dealership said it was a loose ground and it did fix it for a short while. But now since the coolant is mixing with the motor oil they say I need a new motor. Should I go the new motor route or 2nd opinion? Don't want to drive it more than I have to. And if I do need a motor would a 5.0 swap be a viable option? Or built ecoboost?

Rockstar04

I'm just curious, how do you see a 5.0 swap working? Buy a wrecked mustang and swap the whole drive terrain (AWD -> RWD) or do you think you could stuff a v8 in there sideways and use the SHO transmission still?
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

derfdog15

How many miles/what is the build date? Power train warranty is 5yr/60k without any additional warranty, that may be an option, not sure on your mods or mileage.

I would say built 3.5 would be a heck of a lot easier to install, and has already had the road paved. I don't think anyone has done a 5.0 swap on these cars, and I'm not sure if it would bolt in or not. After that, figuring out what transmission, suspension changes as well that may be necessary. Computer changes, etc. though Ford does have a controls pack for the coyote.

My .02 is that the stock 3.5L is extremely stout, and the gains I have seen from built 3.5L for the cost may not even be worth it, but that will be a much easier route and what I would recommend.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Dang these things are biting the dust faster than I can say POOF!  As I said before, it's pretty easy to verify that coolant is mixing with the oil.  If it is a high pitched grinding, it is more likely to be the turbo(s).  If this is indeed the case, a remanufactured or used long block (at least) is the best way to proceed.  A built engine with LME is the way to go honestly, if you have the budget and the inclination for it.

Other thread
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6868
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

The 5.0 couldnt hold the nut sack of the 3.5....the 5.0 dreams of the tq of a tuned 3.5..

Not that the 5.0 swap is even possible
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

J-Will

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 03, 2016, 04:18:58 PM
The 5.0 couldnt hold the nut sack of the 3.5....the 5.0 dreams of the tq of a tuned 3.5..

It hasn't been done but that doesn't mean it's not possible. A 5.0 fits in a Miata.

The coyote is expensive to mod, but it's power capabilities are much higher than the 3.5

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

sholxgt

LOL...we don't have the width necessary to add a row of cylinders in the transverse orientation and we don't have a transmission tunnel necessary to convert to rear drive.

Right or wrong, I would first verify that it is actually mixing coolant and oil.  If it is, I would change both and add a can of bar leaks to the coolant and see what happens.  Not a lot to lose since my next step would be finding a suitable swap candidate.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Would Bar's Leaks plug the radiator/cooling passages?  These are so tiny on today's engines ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on November 03, 2016, 11:32:05 PM
Would Bar's Leaks plug the radiator/cooling passages?  These are so tiny on today's engines ...

It very well could, but it's a risk that I'd be willing to take if the car has a blown headgasket.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

Quote from: J-Will on November 03, 2016, 07:23:58 PM

It hasn't been done but that doesn't mean it's not possible. A 5.0 fits in a Miata.

The coyote is expensive to mod, but it's power capabilities are much higher than the 3.5

People that do drastic motor swaps often use custom gauges...Good luck getting the SHO gauges to work with a 5.0....The sensors have different style connectors and sometimes don't even exist...You'd probably have to use a copperhead PCM from the mustang instead of the SHO tri-core...Good luck with the gauges.

I don't think the power capabilities are higher at all for the 5.0...You need to strap a 5000$ blower or more to reach 600hp...And good luck with the powdered metal rods in the 5.0...People bend them all the time.

Throw that same money at a SHO and you have ATP turbos and a fuel system.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 04, 2016, 09:05:26 AM
Quote from: J-Will on November 03, 2016, 07:23:58 PM

People that do drastic motor swaps often use custom gauges...Good luck getting the SHO gauges to work with a 5.0....The sensors have different style connectors and sometimes don't even exist...You'd probably have to use a copperhead PCM from the mustang instead of the SHO tri-core...Good luck with the gauges.

I don't think the power capabilities are higher at all for the 5.0...You need to strap a 5000$ blower or more to reach 600hp...And good luck with the powdered metal rods in the 5.0...People bend them all the time.

Throw that same money at a SHO and you have ATP turbos and a fuel system.

Plus the SHO will put the power down a lot easier than a RWD Mustang (with stock suspension in both cases). Mustang guys spend a ton on suspension to be able to get the power to the ground, while the SHO does it from the factory.

Now we just need a better transmission (ie. able to handle 600+ AWHP)
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car