• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

X sport stumble low rpm

Started by TxGt1, November 02, 2016, 08:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxGt1

My 14 x sport has 36000 miles. I have noticed when putting it in drive then giving it light throttle it falls on its face then takes off. My wife said it almost died on her yesterday then it just took off. I also notice while cruising around 60mph the engine feels a bit rough under a load. I think I'm going to replace the plugs and see if that takes care of the problem.
I plan on tuning it in the future should I buy colder plugs it stick with the standard heat range. Also why are plugs from Livernois $99 and $50 from most other places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Xsport- CAI, 170 stat, 3bar, tune

2011 Mustang Gt 401A- Off road exhaust, suspension, Lund tuned etc.

sholxgt

My understanding is that Ford has revised the suggested service interval for plugs on the 3.5EB to 30,000 miles.  A plug change is a good idea.  I would stick with the factory Motorcraft plug gapped to .030.  The factory has already reduced the heat range of the factory plug since introducing the 3.5EB in 2010.  Purchase them wherever you can find them cheapest.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

derfdog15

Livernoise charges for gapping the plugs. Which is pretty simple and can be done on your own. I would just get the stock plugs, and gap yourself, and save the money.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

So this is a regular occurrence?  Checked for codes yet?  Happens on both cold and hot starts?  Only in Drive, or other gears as well?  Any electronic gremlins?

Go through the list of usual suspects:  fluids, filters, hises and hose clamps, pooling oil in intake/intercooler.  Clean the MAP sensors also with MAF cleaner.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TxGt1

Quote from: sholxgt on November 02, 2016, 08:34:31 AM
My understanding is that Ford has revised the suggested service interval for plugs on the 3.5EB to 30,000 miles.  A plug change is a good idea.  I would stick with the factory Motorcraft plug gapped to .030.  The factory has already reduced the heat range of the factory plug since introducing the 3.5EB in 2010.  Purchase them wherever you can find them cheapest.

Awesome thanks for the info.

TxGt1

Quote from: derfdog15 on November 02, 2016, 08:59:53 AM
Livernoise charges for gapping the plugs. Which is pretty simple and can be done on your own. I would just get the stock plugs, and gap yourself, and save the money.

Wow I think I can handle gapping my own plugs lol thanks.

TxGt1

Quote from: SHOdded on November 02, 2016, 09:03:14 AM
So this is a regular occurrence?  Checked for codes yet?  Happens on both cold and hot starts?  Only in Drive, or other gears as well?  Any electronic gremlins?

Go through the list of usual suspects:  fluids, filters, hises and hose clamps, pooling oil in intake/intercooler.  Clean the MAP sensors also with MAF cleaner.
Car drives great other than the initial start and take off. No CEL's but I have not had it scanned. I haven't had the sport very long I bought it used. I think I will pull the plugs and clean the MAP/intake like you suggested.
Who has the best catch can for the xsport?

SHOdded

The RX catch can setup is probably still one of the best, esp. with a great can mounting point in the driver fenderwell.  JLT and UPR are other brands I hear good things about.
For an F150, but you get the idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6h_FOzFMcs

The product has evolved as the company changed hands, so it may not be quite the same, but here is the install thread on an XSport:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6716.0.html

and on the original product
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2536.0.html

JLT
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5615.0.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

Had same problem, dealer said TSB 14-0105 reprogramed per new TSB, charged 79.97 plus tax, so far seems to have worked....
2013 pp sho
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

avidmotion

...real RX can is the best, not the clone RX cans made in Cina
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Ryan02Stang

My X Sport does this occasionally too.  Happens if I'm going slow, like 10MPH and then give it heavy throttle.  It will feel like nothing is happening for about 2 or 3 seconds....and then it will take off.

I turned out into a tight spot in traffic once thinking I could hammer it and squeeze in.  Ended up almost getting me rear ended!
2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged

SHOdded

Quote from: avidmotion on December 09, 2016, 06:47:27 PM
Had same problem, dealer said TSB 14-0105 reprogramed per new TSB, charged 79.97 plus tax, so far seems to have worked....
2013 pp sho
Did your SHO have the trouble code?

avidmotion

I got two codes P0087 and something else I forget but it went into limp home mode. Turned off restarted fine. I needed a new battery and recall for the fuel module. Mine ran fine until floored then nothing for like 2 seconds then would take off. Other times in ran rough under wot, or would stutter sluggishly then take off. Did said TSB for it . After recall, new battery and new tune car like smooth butter new, no motor noises, all gone, a new beast now, runs smoother and stronger, shifts 3 mph later too. 1st 39 mph, 2nd to 3rd at 59, has PP gears.