• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 SHO died - Questioning Dealer Diag

Started by 84lsvette, November 01, 2016, 10:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

84lsvette

So the other day my 2010 SHO with 120k on the clock, never been modded or raced (never got around to it). Decided to just straight up die while driving. It died at a light. Started back up and went 1/4ish mile then died and would not restart. The dealer is telling me A. the high pressure fuel pump went out which makes sense. They also tell me the oil has coolant in it and the timing chain jumped/broke and the engine is junk. I am quite experienced in cars but new to the Ecoboost (only owned this car for around 7 months). Theres no way the timing chain or high pressure pump going out causes coolant to get in the oil (I saw no milkiness on the dipstick so I find this very hard to believe also) and I find it hard to believe that all of this happened at once instantly after running absolutely perfect with no warning signs/lights/etc. There were no codes on the car and no CEL. Wondering if there have been any reported problems like this or not. Unfortunately my first post is not about track times and is about my car dying :(. I'm just wondering if maybe the pump is just bad and the dealer is wrong with the timing. I can report more when I hear from the tech.

AJP turbo

Was it running rough prior the death and no start?

I wouldnt call a motor dead without a compression test.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

84lsvette

it ran perfectly time til the first time it died at a stop light where it was just idling and just cut out. Then it started up ok and drove fine for the 1/4 mile then had a stumble and died. Is it possible that the high pressure pump goes out, doesn't atomize the fuel and dumps fuel in the oil because it's flooding out? Don't know how that system works or if it just goes dry.

sholxgt

Have you had the fuel pump module replaced per the recall?

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6600.0.html

I would have them start with that and see if the fuel issue is solved.  I'm not sure that you even need the pump.  Your no start symptom is identical to the problems caused by a faulty module.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Blackhawk

Does that apply to 2010s?

Quote from: sholxgt on November 01, 2016, 12:16:07 PM

I would have them start with that and see if the fuel issue is solved.  I'm not sure that you even need the pump.  Your no start symptom is identical to the problems caused by a faulty module.

SHOdded

Water pump is timing chain driven, so yes it is POSSIBLE for coolant to get in the oil.  But like it is noted sbove, you should have experienced the car tunning rough at or before the event.  A quick look at the oil dipstick or coolant reservoir would easily confirm.

Favor fuel pump and or control module first, there should have been some codes set tho.  You can ask them if they checked.

Who is your servicing dealer btw?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

No the referenced recall does not apply to 2010-12 SHOs, but could be a similar concern.  IF the HPFP goes out it is very noticeable with the engine running and covers removed.  It will sound rather lazy.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Quote from: Blackhawk on November 01, 2016, 01:12:34 PM
Does that apply to 2010s?

Quote from: sholxgt on November 01, 2016, 12:16:07 PM

My Bad!  It does not apply.  I would still want to make sure it's not the module.  The high pressure pump is mechanical.  I'm not sure it's common for a mechanical pump to fail all at once.  Anything is possible.

OP, have you noticed any decrease in fuel economy leading up to the no start?

Edited to add...reason I'm asking is my Dad had his HPFP go bad in a different type of car.  Happened at 17x,xxx miles and was not a sudden failure.  He noticed his fuel economy dropping and then got a CEL.  Took it in and the car had less than the correct amount of fuel pressure.  New pump and he's good again.

To me, that's the way a mechanical pump should die.  A sudden no start makes me think module or maybe the LPFP.  I've had fuel pumps die in cars before that resulted in an instant failure, but that was with electric pumps.  Maybe it's your low pressure pump and not high pressure?
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

StealBlueSho

I have a spare FPDM and HPFP for that model year if interested... Let me know...

StealBlueSho

I also have a lpfp, just needs a new screen/sock....

SHO Rod

Does the engine sound normal when trying to start it?  If the timing were off enough to keep the engine from starting, you would most likely hear that in the way the engine cranked.  If it's not building compression, it will spin fast.  If it's causing pistons to hit valves, it will be noisy.

-Rod

84lsvette

So after some research online I am thinking what has happened is the water pump took a dump and snapped or stretched the timing chain and dumped coolant into the oil causing the problem, which I have read is an ever growing problem with this engine design. Read quite a few posts with the exact same symptoms and outcome. I am going to get the car home and take a look myself to confirm this is what happened and see if the chain snapped, etc but I am guessing this is the most likely scenario. Pretty terrible design if you ask me.......

SHOdded

Hope you can find out what is going on!  I think tolerances have been underspec'd, causing these failures.  The overall design SHOULD work fine.

AJP turbo

I have not heard of that to be an ever growing problem.

Might be jumping the gun to say it's a terrible design...You said you owned the car for only 7 months and it's a 2010 with 120k....I mean can you really confirm the operation and use of the car for the other 77 months???
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

sholxgt

How many times has the coolant been changed?  I believe Ford calls for 30,000 mile intervals.  These cars are maintenance hogs.  Can't treat them like a normal car and just run them.  They need regular fluid changes with OEM or better stuff.