• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What oil does everyone use?

Started by FracaSHO, July 23, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curry67

Quote from: SHOnUup on January 09, 2015, 09:08:05 PM
Build date of 2/11...5w30

Last time at dealer buying "specialty green" coolant. Parts guy confirmed with the sheet that 7/11 build was change from specialty green to ....I think the orange stuff

Rich
What? Lol I just got my coolant replaced it's the green stuff(2010 sho). I'm pretty sure my oil cap says 5w20. I found it weird the Shelby has the orange coolant but we have specialty green stuff.
Every major oil company makes a pretty good case given the claimed tech devolopments. Like Castrol has some crazy nanotechnology stuff that was very interesting. Pennzoil ultra platinum is the purest oil you can buy given its made from natural gas and has extraordinary wear protection.

Does anyone have any good comprehensive testing on all the top types of oils?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Airbornemaikai

I'm using the Pennzoil Platinum plus in my ex, my last oil change I did I just switched over to it from the dealer oil. I'm at 30k now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

SHOnUup

Quote from: curry67 on January 09, 2015, 11:24:50 PM
Quote from: SHOnUup on January 09, 2015, 09:08:05 PM
Build date of 2/11...5w30

Last time at dealer buying "specialty green" coolant. Parts guy confirmed with the sheet that 7/11 build was change from specialty green to ....I think the orange stuff

Rich
What? Lol I just got my coolant replaced it's the green stuff(2010 sho). I'm pretty sure my oil cap says 5w20. I found it weird the Shelby has the orange coolant but we have specialty green stuff.
Every major oil company makes a pretty good case given the claimed tech devolopments. Like Castrol has some crazy nanotechnology stuff that was very interesting. Pennzoil ultra platinum is the purest oil you can buy given its made from natural gas and has extraordinary wear protection.

Does anyone have any good comprehensive testing on all the top types of oils?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
After 7/11 was orange (think it's orange)...before was the specialty green

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

curry67

So should I be using orange? And w30?

SHOnUup

I have a sample of Mobil 1 full syn 5/30 with 5k on it. In process of putting 5k on Mobil 1 full syn extended...then maybe the amsoil after?

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

IHeartGroceries

Shaking up my oil choices completely...

Currently, running Castrol Edge in my Mazda, and with a pretty lengthy OCI, based on favorable UOA. It is a good oil. However, for the sake of streamlining my NOS oil inventory, I am switching both the SHO and the Mazda to Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus. Already running it in the Dodge with good results.
Going to polish off the rest of the Motul 8100 I have for the SHO first though. Hope to LOF the SHO ASAP.

As for the classics - been using pretty standard Pennzoil dino oil in them, plus a bottle of this pretty costly zinc additive.
Going to move both to Lucas Oil Classic Car formula for their next LOF. Just gotta polish off the remaining Pennzoil and last bottle of that additive and I'll make the swap.
2013 SHO PP

SHOdded

Quote from: curry67 on January 10, 2015, 12:10:25 AM
Don't change the type of coolant you are running.  You can try running the 5w30 see how it suits your SHO.  Might lose a bit of mpg and cold weather starting capability depending on viscosity properties, so be sure to check data sheets for equivalency.  I would first try the change in spring/summertime, less risk to the engine.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

You have to follow vehicles spec's cocerning oil and fluids,if your vehicle takes dot 4 brake fluid,why should i put dot 3, Always refer to your owners manuel,if you dont have one,go to the internet and download it and typing your vin,even easier look inside your engine,there are some useful diagrams and spec requirements there,while your there go with the flow and top off the proper fluids for the cold winter,she will love you more,Lol.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

I have always used Redline oil in my car,have about ten free oil change vouchers at the dealer,so basically after the dealer changes the oil.would wait about 500 miles and would switch over to Redline,helps get rid of any contaminents left behind,my wife bought a case of Royal purple hps for Christmas and its sitting in my shelf,its not api certified.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Quote from: curry67 on January 10, 2015, 12:10:25 AM
Green and 5w20 sounds right

Rich

BiGMaC

Just be sure to stay with the color of coolant/antifreeze that came in the car.  The mixing of green and red creates acids to eat you aluminum engine... most article say you can't clean it (coolant/antifreeze) all out of a cooling system while it's still on the car.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

wasinger3000

Quote from: ZSHO on January 10, 2015, 08:12:49 AM
I have always used Redline oil in my car,have about ten free oil change vouchers at the dealer,so basically after the dealer changes the oil.would wait about 500 miles and would switch over to Redline,helps get rid of any contaminents left behind,my wife bought a case of Royal purple hps for Christmas and its sitting in my shelf,its not api certified.
I'll buy it from you if you don't want it. Shipping might be the killer though.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

markssho

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

BiGMaC

Thanks Manu.. quick and informative.

The article also points out a problem inherent to the GDI engine; low speed preignition.  And i mean low engine speed.  We all fight this, and it's why i always try to give enough throttle to shift the tranny

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock