• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What oil does everyone use?

Started by FracaSHO, July 23, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Giving a little extra throttle may not be great for mileage, but great for engine life.  That's it!  I am driving like a bat outta hell from now on, mpg be d***ed :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FPO

Quote from: SHOdded on January 10, 2015, 07:58:44 PM
Turbocharged Directinjection Is Engine Oil's Next Big Hurdle (an industry article, i.e., tread cautiously):
http://gf-6.com/sites/default/files/Turbocharged%20Direct%20Injection%20Is%20Engine%20Oils%20Next%20Big%20Hurdle.pdf

Good read 
  . One thing I noticed, the forced induction crowd is a lot more interested in talking to me About AMSOIL than ,other  groups.

panther427

Well if you understand what stresses are put on your engine oil in a turbocharger. It's easy to understand the importance of using quality oil.  Synthetic major quality for me was it's resistance to high temp thermal brake down and it's sheering resistance.  That ties into it's cold weather performance and so much other other stuff.

I have never used amsoil. Though maybe used next time.  I generally buy what ever oil and filter special has the best price and filter combo.   Last two oil changes have been royal purple.  The first change was full syn factory oil. Don't remember the exact miles. But under 1500. I like to flush the break in oil out pretty soon. Plus the car had been on dealers lots for almost at year.

I wish there was a good modern oil test.  Using all the current top top tier oils. 

Always curious about European oils.
2013 SHO

wasinger3000

I agree. It's hard to compare all oils in the same time frame. I wish there was a database of oil tests.

I'd like to know what effects meth injection has on oil life. I know my oil has been quite dirty on the first two oil changes since meth but now it's stabilized after the 3rd oil change in 6k miles.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOdded

Looks like it cleaned out the gunk on the intake side :) Time for a closer examination?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

I've got about 7500 miles on this interval, on Motul 8100. Going to be an interesting UOA.
2013 SHO PP

panther427

Would be very curious on the uoa of Motul. If I remember I'll get one for my royal purple.

Red line was a favorite in the Audi community. But it seems the few tests I've seen it in.  It wasn't really worth it. I'm torn between German Castrol, Amsoil, pens ultra, and some version of liquimoli. LM  has a product specifically for Ford motors and then other blends based on want and needs such as thermal,flow and other data points
2013 SHO

FPO

Quote from: panther427 on January 11, 2015, 09:19:20 PM

I wish there was a good modern oil test.  Using all the current top top tier oils. 

Here is the last one that I have  ASTM testing methods used

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: FPO on January 15, 2015, 02:28:24 PM

I need to order oil and tranny fluid.

What do I need to do to purchase from you?

AJP turbo

Quote from: wasinger3000 on January 12, 2015, 01:43:53 AM
I agree. It's hard to compare all oils in the same time frame. I wish there was a database of oil tests.

I'd like to know what effects meth injection has on oil life. I know my oil has been quite dirty on the first two oil changes since meth but now it's stabilized after the 3rd oil change in 6k miles.

Wasinger, you need to get a UOA kit from amsoil and send it out to blackstone. UOA = Used oil analysis.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 03, 2015, 01:06:19 PM

If you get a preferred customer membership from amsoil you get whole sale pricing. That's what I do and it's worth it and pays for itself. I order a couple times a year but I have 4 cars in the household
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 03, 2015, 01:56:55 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 03, 2015, 01:06:19 PM

If you get a preferred customer membership from amsoil you get whole sale pricing. That's what I do and it's worth it and pays for itself. I order a couple times a year but I have 4 cars in the household
Yeah, I've been doing that but I prefer to support vendors and members whenever possible.

shoville

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on July 23, 2013, 12:47:44 PM
I just picked up some VR-1 full synthetic racing oil from Jegs, I'm hoping this will stop any issues with running full E85 in my car next fillup. :)

I put e85 in my flex fuel explorer 3 fill ups ago, check engine light been on since. Hell no, I won't put that corn in my non ethanol SHO.
'14 Taurus SHO    '14 Explorer XLT
Prior:
'08 F-350 King Ranch '12 Ram 1500 Express '05 Chevy 1500 WT
'13 Kia Sportage '99 BMW 550i MSport '04 BMW 325i Sport
'99 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer '95 Ranger XLT '80 Chevy Malibu