• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What oil does everyone use?

Started by FracaSHO, July 23, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

I did get the results from my oil anaylsis...several months ago.  It was an eye opener.  Based on the anaylsis I am going to go to 5K oil changes.  Seems that the better quality of today's oil can go for more miles and longer time before needing change.  Blackstone Labs recommended extending my oil change interval because the oil was in great shape at 3K changes.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

JimiJak

mjhpadi;

Very interesting. That's great to know.

Did you ever hear any word on whether "dirty" or "clean" looking oil is better to see during a change?
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

ONLYA6

I also use Royal Purple HPS 5w30 and I use a Motorcraft filter. I'm a big fan of high ZDDP content oil.

I use Rotella T-Syn 5w40 in my Mustang. Also high ZDDP and comes from a better base oil than most other oils.

I thought about just running the Rotella in the SHO but wasn't sure with using a 40 weight. I did use it in my Subaru and Mazdaspeed 3 so I guess I might as well. I may just use it in both on my next change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven

2013 Taurus SHO - Best ET 12.7/ MPH 110
1999 Mustang V6 - Turbo - 474 whp 431 wtq

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

thatsmrgimp2u

Considering that when the SHO came out they recomended 20w oil, and then switched to 30w oil, would 40w be too thick? I used Rotella in my mazdaspeed3 as well. Its cost, availability, and superior performance over much more expensive oils makes it a no brainer in my book. IF we can use it that is.
2011 ISM SHO;  SCT X3 (Unleashed), Airaid Intake, PPE Downpipes, Magnaflow Mufflers and X-pipe with Vibrant resonators, 170 Thermostat, H&R Springs, RX CSS
12.91@107

SHOdded

Depends on the individual viscosity at the temperatures you are likely to face, along with the inclusion of additives of "old" (ZDDP) which typically are found in higher concentrations in "High Mileage" oils.

Motorcraft quick specs on Synblend and Synthetic oils:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/additionalinfo/Product%20Data%20Sheet%205W30%20Premium%20Synthetic.pdf
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/Product%20Data%20Sheet%205W30%20Full%20Synthetic.pdf

Amsoil Tech Specs & MSDS:
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf
http://www.amsoil.com/msds/alm.pdf
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SwampRat

2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Joleat

Quote from: Joleat on July 31, 2013, 01:25:53 AM
After considerable reading on a well-known oil review website, I decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a Purolator filter for the last oil change. With that being said, Mobil 1 is currently on sale at my local parts store. $32.99 for a 5-quart jug and a Mobil 1 oil filter. Add another $8-$9 for the sixth quart and that price is hard to beat. When I purchased the Pennzoil for the last change, they had a $10 mail-in-rebate going on. I just received it in the mail yesterday along with a $5 off coupon for my next Pennzoil purchase. If you're willing to bounce between a couple of brands, then you can save a little coin if you shop the specials at your local parts stores. Since I'm willing to use Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra, it's almost guaranteed that at least one of them will be on sale at some point during my 4-5k mile interval.

I know, I'm quoting myself, haha.

Pennzoil currently has a $10 mail-in-rebate on their website. I plan to take advantage of that by purchasing some Ultra later today. If any of you saw my recent "1-2 second knock at startup" thread, I just wanted to point out that I will be using a Motorcraft filter instead of my usual Purolator PureOne this time around. I'll update the knock thread once I've had an opportunity to change the oil.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

mjhpadi

Quote from: JimiJak on March 06, 2014, 02:00:13 AM
mjhpadi;

Very interesting. That's great to know.

Did you ever hear any word on whether "dirty" or "clean" looking oil is better to see during a change?

You know I have not heard, however, I will stay with what I was told in college in my diesel mechanic class, that oil should turn darker as it absorbs more of the gunk that is generated by the engine.  Which makes sense, if it is true that oil doesn't really lose it's lubricating properties, but the reason that it needs changed is because it gets contaminated with the stuff generated by the engine. And as it gets saturated with contaminates it loses it's ability to hold them in suspension. That being said, it seems to be consistent with what Blackstone Labs told me that today's oils are of higher quality and thus has the ability to absorb more, hence last longer.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)

Brucelinc

My oil gets very black after just 3000 miles and, like you Mark, I have always been told that is desirable and proof that contaminants are being suspended.    I use the OEM Motorcraft synthetic blend and change at 5000.  Just looking down inside the valve cover, through the oil opening, it appears to be super clean after 46,000 miles.

IHeartGroceries

Does the 3.5 EB use cartridge type filters? Or good ol spin on?
And does the drain plug utilize a crush type washer to seal? Or just fasten to seal, or have a gasket on the plug?

I run Rotella in my old pickup - 350ci with original flat tappets. Supposedly the zinc content is high in Rotella, simulating older motor oils. Though, I've never had an analysis performed.

Seems Shell Rotella is a popular oil among many communities and platforms.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Brucelinc

Spin-on filter.     Since I only change oil in Spring and Fall, I can't remember how the plug seals.   I recall that it seems long and has a lot of threads compared to most oil drain plugs.

mjhpadi

I
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 06, 2014, 02:59:27 PM
Does the 3.5 EB use cartridge type filters? Or good ol spin on?
And does the drain plug utilize a crush type washer to seal? Or just fasten to seal, or have a gasket on the plug?

I think it has an o-ring but I can't remember exactly because I replaced mine with the Fumoto drain valve when I did my first oil change.

[/quote]
I run Rotella in my old pickup - 350ci with original flat tappets. Supposedly the zinc content is high in Rotella, simulating older motor oils. Though, I've never had an analysis performed.

Seems Shell Rotella is a popular oil among many communities and platforms.
[/quote]

Having the analysis done was the some of the best money I spent...Blackstone Labs sends you the kit to collect the oil and to mail it, and it's only 25 dollars. They are also good at answering any questions you might have when you receive the results.  Without checking I believe that Royal Purple also had high zinc levels, because it is one of the things they use as an additive.

Joleat

I visited three auto parts stores earlier this evening and there wasn't a bottle of 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra to be found. I ended up grabbing some Castrol Edge 5w30. I've never used it before, but I've heard it is extremely comparable to Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1. If I were tracking my car, I would have a little more concern. For a 5,000 mile interval, any high quality full-synthetic is more than adequate. The filter is where I think more attention is warranted. Say no to the orange can!
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

DJE624

I agree.  Today, I was thinking of just sticking with the Motorcraft filter.  I do hope I can find the Ultra though.