• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What oil does everyone use?

Started by FracaSHO, July 23, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

I guess the only real way to know what's going on with your oil is to have it tested...I'm going to send a sample of mine when I do my next oil change...I believe it is Blackstone Labs, and once I see the results, I will decide if I need to make any adjustments to the oil or the change intervals. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

Please let us know what happens.

mjhpadi

I will do that, but I still have almost a 1000 miles before AI need to change...so it may be 5 or 6 weeks until I change oil..
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)

geswek

I talked to my mate who is service manager at Ford.

They use Mobile 1 for full synthetic. I'm switching to that next oil change. If I'm putting 93 octane in, I want full synthetic oil. I really like M1, used it in all my non-diesel vehicles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DJE624

My dealer told me they use Motorcraft Synthetic.  I have used Mobil1.  It's good.  So is Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic. 

Larrylu

I've finally settled on Mobil One. Think I will stick with that for the time being.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Bigfoot

Amsoil and motorcraft filters. 

2011 SHO
2013 5.0

FoMoCoSHO

breeves002

I like mobil 1. It's on sale right now for $22.xx for 5 qts! CHEAP! Thinking of picking a few up just to have them. May switch to mobil 1 on this car. I used it in my 2000.
SHO Lover and Advanced Diagnostics Enthusiast
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - 3.5L N/A Duratec

jomc111

2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

Ryan327

I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic 5W-30 after the first 1500 miles and pland to swap on 5k intervals for awhile until I get an oil sample tested.  From the little I've seen over on bobs the oil guy the ecoboost motors are suffering from pretty heavy fuel dilution and that over 5000 per change could be pushing your luck. 

For that reasoning, I wouldn't spend money on more expensive oils and if i wasn't getting good prices on mobile 1 i'd just run any of the decent syn. blends since 5k isn't hard on them.  I've thought about running a lower weight oil just for easier starts, the multiple short trips i take, and improved cold weather starts.  (0W-30 most likely)
2013 Ford Explorer Sport - Lund Racing 93 Tune
2010 Audi A4 - APR Stage 1 Tune
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix - Too much to list but still slow!

Night Hawk

Mobil-1 5w-30 Mobil-1 filter every 6k
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

mjhpadi

Quote from: Tomc612 on July 28, 2013, 12:57:54 PM
I use amsoil 5w30 every 5k. Still very clean when I drain. ^-^
Now that would really bother me...if an oil still looks clean after 5K miles, it would put up a red flag for me that it's not doing a good job of absorbing the bad stuff produced by the engine.  I know all the oils I have used over the past 15 years look really dirty after 3K miles...which, by my thinking indicates that they are removing the nasty stuff from the engine.  Maybe if someone explains why an oil would still look clean after 5K miles, I would be more comfortable with it.

Joleat

After considerable reading on a well-known oil review website, I decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a Purolator filter for the last oil change. With that being said, Mobil 1 is currently on sale at my local parts store. $32.99 for a 5-quart jug and a Mobil 1 oil filter. Add another $8-$9 for the sixth quart and that price is hard to beat. When I purchased the Pennzoil for the last change, they had a $10 mail-in-rebate going on. I just received it in the mail yesterday along with a $5 off coupon for my next Pennzoil purchase. If you're willing to bounce between a couple of brands, then you can save a little coin if you shop the specials at your local parts stores. Since I'm willing to use Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra, it's almost guaranteed that at least one of them will be on sale at some point during my 4-5k mile interval.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

MNRubyRed2013

I changed oil on my 2013 for the first time about a month ago and used 5w-30 Mobil 1 and an M1 filter, same as I use in my 2002 Corvette. Ran Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 in my 2010 and did a Blackstone Labs oil analysis before I traded it for the 2013.  The oil had 5,660 miles on it and the analysis said it showed wear levels for around 4,100 miles.  Plan on running about 6,000 mile changes on the 2013.