• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport Tuning

Started by MiWiAu, October 24, 2016, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Were you WOT on that 4th gear pull?

MiWiAu

Got it, FoMoCo. Thanks for the hand-holding. :) I failed to scale the OE data log and only picked up the initial portion that was reading 0.99-1.02. I see now, after scaling, the lambse came down on the OE tune under WOT, and the same is NOT true of the Unleashed tune. Now I feel better that my issue is (hopefully) with the custom tune file, and Torrie will get me straightened out.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Also, after flashing the Unleashed tune, I reset the KAM. Could this be causing my issues? I put just over 100 miles on it from KAM reset to the data log I took tonight, but I'm not sure how long it takes to repopulate pertinent values.
2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: MiWiAu on October 24, 2016, 10:35:08 PM
Got it, FoMoCo. Thanks for the hand-holding. :) I failed to scale the OE data log and only picked up the initial portion that was reading 0.99-1.02. I see now, after scaling, the lambse came down on the OE tune under WOT, and the same is NOT true of the Unleashed tune. Now I feel better that my issue is (hopefully) with the custom tune file, and Torrie will get me straightened out.
From my experiences with Torrie and the glitch prone SCT, I suspect this is an SCT glitch or a bad flash.

A couple times my car has ran like crap and returned less than ideal datalogs and reflashing the tune corrected the issue.

If you decide to try that make sure you keep an eye on KR, lambse, and measured AFR on the X4.

If you don't see lambse and measured AFR drop as soon as you crack the throttle, back out because there's something else amiss.

MiWiAu

10-4. Would you recommend re-loading the .cef file Torrie sent me onto the X4, or does reflashing with the file already loaded generally cure the glitch/bad flash?

Thanks again for the guidance!
2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: MiWiAu on October 24, 2016, 10:59:25 PM
10-4. Would you recommend re-loading the .cef file Torrie sent me onto the X4, or does reflashing with the file already loaded generally cure the glitch/bad flash?

Thanks again for the guidance!
In my experience, just the reflash was needed.

My issues were annoying, yours are a bit more serious so you might want to redo the entire process, just to be sure you covered all the bases.

Has Torrie sent you a retune yet?

MiWiAu

Ha, yeah. Tomorrow morning I'll reflash to stock, make sure the SCT is totally updated and upload the new tune that I just received from Torrie. He wants a short WOT run with the new file and said something is totally screwed up. I think his reply set a new word count record at 12! :)

Do you guys always reset your KAM after every new flash, and if so, do I need to wait for a bit before running WOT? As suggested, I'll definitely keep an eye on my lambse and age numbers.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

With a KAM reset, the emissions monitors also get reset IIRC.  If that is the case, use Torque Pro to your advantage, as it has a PID/graph for just that purpose.  Once the monitors go all green, you may resume the normally scheduled WOTting ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

So this morning, I reflashed the OE tune to the XPL0DR. I then updated the X4 with device updater, performed a factory reset to clear all existing information, re-confirmed update, loaded the new tune from Torrie, and flashed it to the truck.

A short 0-60 WOT data log is attached. Lambse and AFR values seem much more reasonable than before (to my untrained eye), so one of the things above seems to have gotten me back on the right track.

On a side note, the vehicle quirks when a tune is being flashed kind of weird me out. I always wait until all the displays and interior lights turn off before starting the flash process. When I first loaded the original 87 tune from Torrie, the airbag light and the BLIS lights on the mirrors were illuminated. When I reflashed to OE this morning, the airbag light and my interior color accent lights came on. When I loaded the newest tune from Torrie, only the airbag light was on - nothing else. Bizarre.

Thanks again for the help in getting me straightened out!
2013 XSport

FoMoCoSHO

Yeah, you have power enrichment now so that's all good.

They all seem to have their own patterns of quirks when being flashed and when the behavior changes, that is a sign the flash may not have been perfect.

Mine always turns on the blower fan and the windshield wipers activate.

A couple of times, that hasn't happened and the result was less than ideal.

MiWiAu

I flashed another updated tune from Torrie when I left work, and I now feel that I'm approaching "scalded dog" territory. Crazy the improvements over my first quirky tune after only two flashes.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: MiWiAu on October 25, 2016, 08:16:21 PM
I flashed another updated tune from Torrie when I left work, and I now feel that I'm approaching "scalded dog" territory. Crazy the improvements over my first quirky tune after only two flashes.

Torrie advised rolling back to the prior tune due to higher knock rate. Looks like one and done on the 87 performance tune.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Boy, oh boy...

Since we got the 87 Performance tune sorted, I loaded the initial 87 Tow tune for the first time this AM. Data log attached.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Can someone explain to me what "good" vs "bad" knock retard readings would look like? I'm doing some e-tuning with Torrie, and one of the tunes he told me to roll back because "KR" was too high.

When looking at the two data logs in question, I was at +5 KR @ 60MPH on the 0-60 (87P) file and at the equivalent speed on the 0-100 file (87P1), I was at +2.75 KR.

It was recommended to roll back to the 0-60 (87P) tune, and I'm trying to understand why (since this appears to have higher KR than the other tune). Can someone please school me on KR? :)

EDIT: Removed 0-100MPH 87P1 data log and replaced with 0-60 87P1 log for more apples-to-apples comparison.
2013 XSport