• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How much oil are you using 5.5 or 6.0?

Started by 97novi2k, October 22, 2016, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97novi2k

Hello,

I have a 2014 SHO that uses 5w30. The manual and everything I see says to use 6.0 quarts but after doing the oil change I put 5.5 in and it's at the top of the dipstick. I checked at the vehicle cold in the morning and also 10 minutes after driving and it's about the same. I don't want to overfill but does anyone have the same problem?

I know with the extra turbo lines ets that's why it might need 6 but maybe I'm not draining all 6 out?

FYI I change my oil on ramps on a flat surface. With the drain in the back I don't see any issue with not getting it all out.

2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

BlueSHO

I just changed the oil on my 16 SHO today and jacked it up on the driver side and and removed the drain plug which is towards the passenger side of the pan. It took a solid 6 quarts on the refill with maybe just a tad more to bring it up to the top line on the dipstick..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

derfdog15

I've always used 6. I know on my dads F150 when he had a dealer change the oil, they didnt change the filter (due to its location) and it needed less than the recommended amount. When we did it ourselves, it was right on par with the recommended amount, since we pulled off the undertray, and removed the drain plug and filter.

Same for the sho, spot on by removing both.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

97novi2k

Thanks for the replies. I'm did do oil and filter.

This is really weird, maybe I need to check my dipstick part number or something. Would doing the change on ramps not allow everything to drain out?
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

bpd1151

I myself have always used 6qts.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pete

Police vehicles are 6.5 qts. They have way larger oil coolers

AJP turbo

I think i was between 5.5 and 6 qts usually around 5.8754 qts if I remember....realistically it could take over a half hour to drain more...the 2.7 needs every bit of that time...there is even a tsb for it
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I always make sure to remove the oil cap prior to draining the oil which acts as a relief valve and never had any issues.
I put 5.5 quarts on the Dot.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|