• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Multi-Oil Analysis

Started by AnotherGreenFusion, October 19, 2016, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherGreenFusion

After some concerns were posted about the quality and general safety of BND fluids a few members and myself have decided to run some analysis on virgin oil samples from BND and other popular brands. We are starting with what you will see in the picture below but may expand it depending on how much people desire to help out. All oil analysis is being done by the well know Blackstone labs. This first round of testing will be done on unused or virgin samples to get an idea of the content of the oils and their general safety to be used in ecoboost applications. I will also be posting used oil analysis from time time using some if not all the oils show below. 

1 Motorcraft 5w-30

2 Royal Purple 5w-30

3 AMSOil European Car Formula 5w-30

4 AMSOil Signature 5w-20

5 Quantum Blue Motor Oil 7.5w-27

6 AMSOil ATF ATF

7 Quantum Blue Transmission Fluid ATF

8 AMSOil Synthetic Gear Lube 80w-90

9 Quantum Blue Gear Lube 85w-100

10 AMSOil Severe Gear Oil 75w-140

11 Quantun Blue Gear Oil 85w-140

12 Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

Excel Sheet with report data
Please feel free to post suggestions for testing, brands, etc.

Special thanks to those helping out! Message me if you would like to contribute.

• glock-coma - $40
  • jgr (2gfusions.net) - $190
  • MiWiAu - $40
  • SHOdded - $40
Not counting the oil I normally use or plan to use (BND and AMSOil) the total cost of the extra oil, this round of testing and shipping is ~$430.  If you would like to donate to the costs of testing please let me know.

Next 12 oils to test (likely sometime in Feb '17, it really depends on money).

Mobile 1
Rotella
Redline
Joe Gibbs
Castrol
????
????
????
????
????
????
????
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

AnotherGreenFusion

UPDATE 11/4
The oil reports are in, I have updated the first post with images and links to the reports and full data. TL;DR BND oils are safe to use. The engine oil is comparable to other oils and the gear as well as ATF fluids appear to be superioir at least to AMSOil with regard to TAN levels. All kinds of interesting info here, I will spend some time absorbing this info and come up with a more detailed summary for everyone , for now enjoy the data!

UPDATE 10/19Packed and ready to go, shipping these out tomorrow.

'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

AnotherGreenFusion

Been pretty busy the last week so I JUST got this box out today. Grabbed a quart of Pannzoil platinum 5w-30 since I still had a spot open.

'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

AnotherGreenFusion

Just got word from Blackstone, they have the sample and have started testing, should have results in a few days.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

FearlessAZ

2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

MiWiAu

Awesome! Are you getting TAN (on the ATF/gear oil) and TBN (on the motor oils) as well??

EDIT: It would also be sweet if they could put all the oils on one report (by type) for easier comparison (i.e. a separate report for motor oil, ATF, and gear oil).
2013 XSport

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: MiWiAu on November 01, 2016, 10:25:25 PM
Awesome! Are you getting TAN (on the ATF/gear oil) and TBN (on the motor oils) as well??

EDIT: It would also be sweet if they could put all the oils on one report (by type) for easier comparison (i.e. a separate report for motor oil, ATF, and gear oil).

I checked the box for TBN testing since I only had slips for motor oil. I just sent them an email to confirm TAN testing on the gear and ATF oils. Thanks for reminding me!

I plan on putting all the data into a spreadsheet so that how they send me the reports won't matter as much. I will post both the spread sheet and images of the original reports in whatever form I get them so people can play with the data and see the originals.

Also thanks for the donation!
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

MiWiAu

Super! Glad to contribute. :)

For future reference, they have alternate forms on the Blackstone website for fluids other than motor oil that can be downloaded. I found them when I was sending in a PTU sample.

Thanks again! Looking forward to the results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

AnotherGreenFusion

Just got confirmation that Blackstone will be doing TAN testing on the gear and ATF oils instead of TBN. Getting excited to see this data!
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

SHOdded

Be sure to post your results as well, MiWiAu!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: AnotherGreenFusion on November 02, 2016, 11:19:43 AM

I plan on putting all the data into a spreadsheet so that how they send me the reports won't matter as much. I will post both the spread sheet and images of the original reports in whatever form I get them so people can play with the data and see the originals.

Hey AGF,

I received my report in a PDF format, and I was just messing around with it a bit. I was able to highlight the numbers in a column and copy/paste them into Excel without much issue. Should save a lot of time of trying to manually re-enter the values.

If you want any help post-processing the information into Excel, or if an Excel template to copy/paste information into would help let me know!
2013 XSport

AnotherGreenFusion

The oil reports are in, I have updated the first post with images and links to the reports and full data.

TL;DR BND oils are safe to use. The engine oil is comparable to other oils and the gear as well as ATF fluids appear to be superioir at least to AMSOil with regard to TAN levels.

All kinds of interesting info here, I will spend some time absorbing this info and come up with a more detailed summary for everyone , for now enjoy the data!

More pics, details and videos can be found here.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

MiWiAu

Thanks! Was there Amsoil Signature 5W-30 on the original list, or was it always the 5W-20? I must have misread.

Appreciate you pulling this together!

2013 XSport

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: MiWiAu on November 04, 2016, 01:21:18 AM
Thanks! Was there Amsoil Signature 5W-30 on the original list, or was it always the 5W-20? I must have misread.

Appreciate you pulling this together!

Happy to do it!

It is 5w-20. I did not have any signature 5w-30 as I had been using eurospec in the fusion previously. I had signature 5w-20 as that is what I use in my Fiesta. For the purposes of these reports the difference between 2 weights should be pretty minimal. When/if I test 5w-30 signature I would expect it to be very close to the 5w-20.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost