• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Transmission fluid change thoughts

Started by svt54, October 12, 2016, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svt54

Ok, here is the background. I have a 2010 Flex EB with 170k on the clock. It has 84k on the long block (melted a piston under extended warranty), and less than 15k on the turbos. It was my wife's car for 5 years. I bought her a new Flex, and I took the old one as my toy. I have installed hot pipes and a Torrie tune about 2k miles ago. I have been going through it replacing bushings, tie rods, etc. I stumbled across the fluid change talks on here and realized my Flex has the original tyranny and PTU fluid. I am planning to put Amsoil in both.

My thoughts were, since it has so many miles on the original fluid, to use valvoline max LV, because it's less than $18/gal at Walmart to drain and fill several times, drive it for a few days and THEN drain and fill twice with Amsoil.

Does this seem like a good idea, or should I just drain and fill with the Amsoil? My thought is to use cheap stuff to clean it out, then switch to my long term more expensive fluid.
2010 Flex Ecoboost - Tuned by Torrie / 3 bar MAP / NGK plugs / EPP hard pipes w/ Tial BOV / Megan Coilovers
2015 Flex non EB - the wife's

SHOdded

Plan sounds great, just make sure you do the 3x D/F with both the MaxLife and the Amsoil.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!