• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tires and rims

Started by FistyMcgee, September 28, 2016, 10:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FistyMcgee

I have just purchased 45/20's for my all season because I don't have dedicated summer rims or summer tires yet, but I am considering a set of ultra performance contis or bf Goodrich or maybe Pirellis. do you notice a major ride stiffness difference between the two? I will be buying staggered setup if possible, running 8.5" rims with 255s in the front and 10" rims with 185s in the back to give it a RWD bias. That may work, and if the computer doesn't automatically compensate for the different traction that would give our cars a rear bias that it lacks and I enjoy. During the winter months it rains a bit more here in the desert and I often go up to the mountains so i'll switch back to my stock(ish) 255 45/20s.

oh, the summer tires would have to go on rims like this:
Niche Enyo M115 Black Machined 20x10 5x114.3 (rear) and 8.5 in the front. 
I can't post a link to the image because of a limitation of the system I am on, but if you all feel like it, please look it up and post it in a reply, I think they are sexy.

I got the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires, which several sites rate in the top 3 ultra performance all season. I would have preferred the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 but I plan on picking them up in 2 years when I need new all season tires.  I seem to go through tires quite quickly and I will be running just the BF Goodrich tires until they get low, then I will buy the summer tires with staggered rims and new all season. I will definitely do more research then and see if there is a new top dog in all season performance that has a good wet and snow handling characteristic.

I did a couple searches here on this forum and I did youtube digging to find out how to determine compatability for rims and tire combinations. has anyone here done the footwork already on this? I understand that I could take the car to a shop and have them use a cool tool that bolts on to the hub and is adjustable to any rim size and acts a a template for your application to test compatibility with say 10x20" rims running 285/35 or 255/45 tires on them. the tool then can show you where you would rub on the frame and allows you to make adjustments according to that finding until you get a rim and tire combination or camber and suspension adjustment that allows you to run something without rubbing. 

Is there a detailed review on this topic that I missed?

Gjkrisa

I have read on here that staggered tires don't work on these cars makes the ptu heat up too much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

Staggered are fine, within that 3% limit on total tire/wheel height.  I dont think you can set tire sizes individually in the PCM, that would make it easier on the PTU if it did I think.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Quote from: Gjkrisa on October 01, 2016, 09:25:48 AMI have read on here that staggered tires don't work on these cars makes the ptu heat up too much.

Considering I was literally the first to run a staggered set up on this platform, I feel my experiences hold some weight.

My 2010, which was purchased new by me, just turned 75k recently. My staggered set up has been in place since 12k.

I have tracked it, road coursed it, and up until this past Spring, daily drove it..... through the harsh CHI-Town winters as well.

I have also set records for power and speed, all the while running my staggered setup.

Known fact...... I am still running my original PTU that it was assembled with, from the factory.

Coincidence? I think not.

Don't always believe things that you may "hear".

Quote from: SHOdded on October 01, 2016, 09:47:45 AM
Staggered are fine, within that 3% limit on total tire/wheel height.

This is accurate information.

3% variance in total diameter between the front and rear axles is the maximum.

The closer you can get to zero, the better.

Now mind you, it's been like 6yrs+, but I am trying to recall my percentage, and it was/is like 1.3% IIRC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gjkrisa

Quote from: bpd1151 on October 01, 2016, 10:27:09 AM
Quote from: Gjkrisa on October 01, 2016, 09:25:48 AMI have read on here that staggered tires don't work on these cars makes the ptu heat up too much.

Considering I was literally the first to run a staggered set up on this platform, I feel my experiences hold some weight.

My 2010, which was purchased new by me, just turned 75k recently. My staggered set up has been in place since 12k.

I have tracked it, road coursed it, and up until this past Spring, daily drove it..... through the harsh CHI-Town winters as well.

I have also set records for power and speed, all the while running my staggered setup.

Known fact...... I am still running my original PTU that it was assembled with, from the factory.

Now mind you, it's been like 6yrs+, but I am trying to recall my percentage, and it was/is like 1.3% IIRC.

What sizes are you running?

Gjkrisa

Quote from: Gjkrisa on October 01, 2016, 10:29:15 AM
Quote from: bpd1151 on October 01, 2016, 10:27:09 AM

What sizes are you running?

How's it feel

bpd1151

After I ditched the craptastic Michelin's that came on the car as OEM, I have been running the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's.

Have been super super happy with them.

I may try out the Nitto NT555 summer performance/track tires for next year though, as my current Conti's, although not completely worn, could be replaced.

Given my goal is to no longer drive the car in the Winter(s) & then just less overall in the warmer months, I'm thinking I won't really require all season tires anymore.

FistyMcgee

I just put new shoes on my stock rims. The  BFG G-Force COMP-2 is what I ended up getting as I won't often see snow and will also rarely see rain. They have apparently slightly better skid pad and dry performance than the DWS6. at this performance level it is probably negligible.  The stock tires lasted me (barely) 5k miles, and they screamed when I would take a corner too hard, these ones though have been like glue! love it.

I corrected my initial mistake, I am putting 255x45 (or maybe 35) not 155x45s on there. (285-255)/285 is .0117, that is the diameter difference per tier in the rear, total rear bias is .0234 which is less than the 3% total wheel width (I wasn't sure if that is per tire or total bias). On the Z axis. the profile will still be 20" rims with either 35 or 45 mm sidewall.

Does the staggered rim setup become noticeable for driving characteristics or is it all for looks? I would like to get it to vector more torque to the rear end and that was the main idea for putting in the stagger. A bonus would be the cosmetics of the staggered setup which I personally like, as long as it is within reason.

** correction, I read up more on this and did the right maths. I will need to run 255x45 on the front 8.5" tires if I want to run 285s in the back on 10" tires, and they will be 285x40. that or 255x35 and 285x40. the math makes more sense now. sorry everyone as I learn out loud here.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7
I used the math from the link above.

And to recap all the links bpd1151 has put in his previous post which I now found by stalking his prior posts for a bit, here are links to the guides for tires and rims, thanks bpd1151:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/tirecalc.html

http://kgm.tiwing.com/calcs/tiresizecalc.htm

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!