• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shattering Sunroofs!!

Started by ZSHO, September 25, 2016, 07:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

CroR1

ouch, seems like ford will raise prices on the future vehicles (like they are already not) to make up for the loss

jtoddk98

It seems like the article focuses on vehicles with panoramic sunroofs, but some of the vehicles on the list can only be had with the single panel sunroof, like the Fusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

sholxgt

Yikes!  Glad Z posted this so that, if mine explodes, I won't think I'm the only one.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

midnightSun

I have two Explorers with panoramic sunroofs. Great.... 
"I'm 30 min away, i'll be there in 10"
2016 Explorer Sport 3bar 93 tune.
Continental ZRY summer tires.
I pull a 30' race trailer with this little SUV at times.
2x Regional Champ!

66 Galaxie

I wouldn't worry too much as it says only "90" roofs have shattered since 2008...
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

SHOdded

A lot of those incidents are without any evident damage.  Do not discount incidents due to actual damage, however small, because they likely went straight to the insurance company for replacement.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

EXPLODING SUNROOF IN FORD ESCAPE CAUSES LAWSUIT

February 1, 2018 — An exploding sunroof in a Ford Escape has caused a class-action lawsuit that alleges the large glass panels used in multiple Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models are not strong enough to prevent shattering.  Z

Included in the class-action lawsuit are the following vehicles if equipped with factory-installed panoramic sunroofs:

The lawsuit alleges all Ford panoramic sunroofs are similar and made of tempered or laminated glass that attaches to tracks set inside a frame. Tempered glass is allegedly made in the same manner by all manufacturers, using a piece of annealed glass shaped and cut to original specifications for each manufacturer.

Tempered glass is heated and then rapidly cooled, creating an outer layer of glass that is compressed (similar to being shrink-wrapped) around a middle core of the glass that is constantly pressing outwards. However, the plaintiffs claim the glass can explode if the compressed layer is compromised.

The lawsuit also says the tempered glass used in the Ford vehicles features a ceramic paint applied before tempering. These ceramic enamels are applied on the top around the edges of panoramic sunroof glazing and appear as "black bands" along the edges of the glass.

However, ceramic enamels allegedly weaken the tempered sunroof glazing, not too bad of a thing for a small sunroof. But the plaintiffs claim the huge panoramic sunroofs have glass that becomes progressively weaker and prone to explode.

2007-present Ford Edge
2009-present Ford Focus
2010-present Ford Fusion
2011-present Ford Explorer
2009-present Ford Flex
2011-present Ford F-150
2009-2014 Ford Mustang
2008-present Ford Escape
2014-present Ford Transit Connect
2013-present Ford C-Max
2007-present Lincoln MKX
2009-2015 Lincoln MKS
2013-present Lincoln MKZ
2010-present Lincoln MKT
2010-2011 Mercury Milan
2010-2011 Mercury Montego

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/exploding-sunroof-ford-escape-lawsuit.shtml

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|