• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Intercooler help?

Started by WaelSHO, September 22, 2016, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaelSHO

Hey guys,

So living with an Ecoboost in a hot country kind of seems like its killing the car.

Sometimes when I'm driving at a little bit of a high speed and want to kick full throttle, It's like the car stalls, lags, I don't know, but it wouldn't change gears like from 3rd to 2nd for example. Instead it would run on the gear it's already in, which in all honesty is killing the transmission and the power a lot !!

So I was thinking of intercoolers and if anybody has tried any.

If there is someone who actually tried or is already using one, please help me as we are over 70 people here suffering from the heated power.

Basically we are an SHO group in Saudi Arabia, and we all love the car and are big fans of it, but the power failure sometimes is a bummer and the highest temperature here reaches up to (122) Fahrenheit in the summer which is a lot.

Thank you all for your incredible help !
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune
https://www.instagram.com/evil_sho/

RichieRich1042

So I may not be the best person for information when it comes to the SHO as my knowledge is limited to the Fusion but I'll give it a shot.  Also, not sure how the shipping would work going over there as it would have to go to an APO I believe.  Some of the companies we have to go through are linked below.  If anything, it gives you a reference to start with.

www.levelsperformance.com

www.cp-e.com

www.atpturbo.com

I'm sure there is more I can't think of right now that I'm missing but hopefully someone can chime in with some more vehicle specific information.  I have the Levels Performance which is owned and operated by 1 man doing all the work himself.  It may take a while but the quality is amazing.  Maybe message him and see if he can do the piece for you.
2013 Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD
Proudly supporting:
Mountune (Randy) | Level's Performance | Injen | Turbosmart | Boomba Racing | Steeda |
Cordova Motorsports | DMB UK | Brisk Racing

WaelSHO

Hey !

Thank you for your response, however the only problem I found is that all 3 links have nothing to offer for the Taurus SHO, for that I'm wondering, can I install a Fusion intercooler on the SHO?

Thanks !
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

J-Will

As far as I know, the only intercooler replacement for the SHO/ Flex/ Explorer comes from Black Market Racing.  However, its only on one vehicle, and there's been no real evidence of any improvement with it (to be fair-also, no evidence of any lack of performance). 

I would suggest that if you have concerns with heat, its probably best to consider meth.  For cooling purposes you can place you nozzle just after the CAC.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

Methanol injection is usually a good way to make power/keep intake temps low.  Keep in mind though the placement of the tank should be somewhere that stays relatively cool.  Methanol has a lower boiling point than water - 149F (65C) or so.

I'd talk with Mike (EcoPowerParts) and Black Market Racing (mentioned above) to see if the intercooler they have is feasible for you guys.  You might also want to consider heatwrapping the pipes with adhesive foil, such as MDesign uses for its' custom intakes.  Not as good as a meth injection solution (in more ways than one) but DIY and relatively inexpensive to try.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Some of us have zero interest in running meth. Meth is sure to create warranty headaches and there is no denying you are tuned.

SHOdded

An intercooler solution without a bumper modification (voids a major safety factor) is not possible.  I have said before that with some body work to strengthen and extend the frame (and hence the bumper), you could make as much space as you want.  But modification to the (or a completely new) bumper fascia and wiring adapters etc. would be required to go with.  Not a small undertaking.  I think in that light, meth injection is not so bad.  Plus you get the bonus of clean intake valves.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 22, 2016, 10:47:39 AM
Some of us have zero interest in running meth. Meth is sure to create warranty headaches and there is no denying you are tuned.

I have a slight interest, but wont entertain meth until the warranty is up.  That said- meth is still a better solution that an upgraded CAC... even if an upgraded CAC did exist.  I'm just spit balling here- but a small, fine mist nozzle just after the CAC would probably not require a tune.  Now, if there were performance gains above what the stock tune can handle (significantly cooler air, or octane boost) then obviously they wont be realized.  Of course, if you're going through the trouble of plumbing the lines... may as well add in a little extra (second nozzle closer to the TB) to make sure there are in fact performance gains. 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

WaelSHO

Thank you all for your care and response.

As for the engine cooling, I am looking into meth, I've already installed a 170 thermostat so that's out of the way.

But what really concerns me is transmission heat, I've drag raced a few times a few days ago and realized the transmission heat is rising to a 95 C temperature, which is a lot!

So yeah... any ideas on this would really help.

Thank you
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

bpd1151

I didn't see you post what model year your EB is, and as important, whether or not it is PP equipped, or is a Non-PP.....

However, if your primary concerns are with the heat of the trans and it's fluid..... You would be wise to retro fit the auxiliary trans cooler to your EB. Assuming that is, it isn't equipped with one already.... (see my opening reply).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mo7ammed

If non/pp, 2015 SHO.

What does fit for its transmission and recommended?

bpd1151

The auxiliary trans cooler is a Ford product.

It comes as standard equipment on 2013 and up PP Equipped cars, as well as on the police pkg versions.

It can easily be retro fitted though (for those EB owners who are Non-PP) and will significantly reduce trans fluid temps.

I was the 1st to retrofit this quite a few years back, and there is a step by step "How-To" tutorial I authored on it's install. Check the "How-To" section.

Someone also recently posted about changing out the thermo I believe on the auxiliary trans cooler's bypass valve for even potential further temp reductions.

If you can't find the "How-To", or the recent posts on changing out the thermo on the bupass valve, ask SHOdded..... he's really good at digging up that kind of stuff.

Good luck.

Oh, and btw, Methanol is great stuff, and Meth users typically see an .4-.6 quicker in the 1/4, not to mention cooler IAT's as well as cleaner valves and what not, as it's use will counteract the deposits known to develop in D.I. powerplants.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Links to the How To for the trans cooler:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,522.0.html
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2008.0.html
Some more pics here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5389

A post on replacing just the transmission thermostat/valve:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6585

I highly recommend anyone looking for "How To" information to start in the ... "HOW TO" subforum :D

Forum > General Category > How To Articles

When you search for information, you would want to start at the "Forum" (top) level, because search is context sensitive, and will only search at that level and below.  So if you are in the HOW TO section, it will only search the HOW TO articles.

WaelSHO

Man you guys helped so much.. thank you for that

My car is a 2011 SHO with PP ... but as you mentioned, aux trans cooler only comes with PP types from 2013 and up... I will be looking into the links SHOdded has posted, and will get back to you guys ASAP.

Thank you so much :)
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

WaelSHO

Check this.. So I went searching online for a trans cooler.. Ended up finding this.

Is this the one ? It says on the website that it is not compatible with my year model (2011).. should I look else where? Or it would fit anyways?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-OIL-COOLER-2013-2015-FORD-TAURUS-/231915536421?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ATaurus&hash=item35ff3e4025:g:GY0AAOSw6oBXEmlX&vxp=mtr
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune