• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Blackstone Labs PTU Oil Analysis - 2013 XSport - 30,000 Miles

Started by MiWiAu, September 14, 2016, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

I recently (08/20/16) purchased a used 2013 XSport with 28,500 miles. The vehicle was previously a single owner private lease. The vehicle seemed entirely stock, so I have no reason to suspect that the PTU fluid wasn't the original. At 29,948 miles I swapped the engine, transmission (drain and fill twice), and PTU over to Amsoil synthetic. I sent in the original PTU oil for analysis.

This is their summary (I had asked if they had a virgin sample of Motorcraft 75W-140 for comparison). The full report is attached. Try another change at 10,000 miles?! So much for lifetime fluid...

MICHAEL: No, we don't have a virgin sample/TAN in our database, but it's a pretty typical gear lube in terms of additives. Wear is quite high here. We looked through all of the Ford PTU's we've seen. Half looked like this (or worse) and half looked like our averages. Note aluminum -- that's from the assembly. Maybe some of it's normal accumulation/wear-in, but the oil change was probably a good idea, to keep the oil from getting abrasive. Chrome is likely from steel, copper is from brass/bronze, and silicon is probably just a sealer. The TAN read 4.5. Try just 10,000 miles.

On a side note, after initial PTU draining, I didn't really suspect I had an issue. The fluid was dark and had that gear oil stink, but it was still "oil" (unlike some of the other posts I've seen). Still, I thought I'd be safe and send it in for anaylsis. I refilled with Amsoil and drove for 20 miles before immediately re-draining. In just 20 miles the new fluid was black again, although it did not stick to the side of the glass container like the original fluid. I'll change this fluid again in another 10-15k miles and send it back to BL for another analysis.
2013 XSport

pmezo33

SHOdded

10K miles ... wow!  Whatcha been doin', Willis???

And this has a cooled PTU, right?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2016, 10:33:58 PM
10K miles ... wow!  Whatcha been doin', Willis???

And this has a cooled PTU, right?

LOL. More like what's the previous leasee been doin?! I've only had it for 2,000 miles! :)

I'll have to investigate the "cooled" part. I thought only the Intercepter SUV got the cooling feature?
2013 XSport

SHOdded

So I keep hearing, but a pic or two to confirm one way or the other would be nice!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Hmm, check out the last two paragraphs here.

http://articles.sae.org/10815/

I will put it up on ramps when I get home today and check. I wasn't paying that much attention (obviously).
2013 XSport

SHOdded

QuotePutting the sport in the 2013 Explorer Sport

17-Apr-2012 01:51 EDT

"The inspiration for the Explorer Sport really came after the Explorer's 2011 release. We saw feedback from our Facebook fans that they were really interested in a high-performance Explorer," said Ford's Bill Gubing. Explorer Sport (shown) reaches dealer showrooms in the fall of 2012.

The new performance-tuned Ford Explorer gets its growl from a unique dual exhaust system and its power from an EcoBoost 3.5-L V6 engine.

"It's the most capable Explorer that we've ever designed and built," Bill Gubing, Ford Explorer Chief Engineer, said during the March unveiling of the 2013 Explorer Sport. The media reveal also was streamed live over the Internet to the automaker's Facebook followers.

The Sport model's 3.5-L EcoBoost V6 will produce an estimated 350 hp (261 kW) at 5500 rpm and an estimated 350 lb·ft (475 N·m) between 1500 and 5000 rpm, a beefy performance upgrade from the 2012 Explorer's 3.5-L DOHC V6 with its 290 hp (216 kW) at 6500 rpm and 255 lb·ft (346 N·m) at 4000 rpm.

A six-speed automatic transmission, the 6F55, provides the 4WD Sport with a final drive of 3.16:1—the same gear ratio as the 2012 FWD Explorer. (The AWD 2012 Explorer's final gear ratio is 3.39:1.)

"We went with a 3.16:1 final drive ratio to help balance the performance and optimize the fuel economy," said Gubing, noting that the estimated mpg will be up to 16 city and 22 highway.

Explorer Sport's twin-turbocharged V6 EcoBoost engine is similar to offerings for the Ford F-150 pickup, Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT crossover utilities, Ford Taurus SHO, and Lincoln MKS sedans.

"The base engine block is a carryover from those vehicles, but the air induction system and the exhaust system are unique," Gubing told AEI.

Development of the exhaust system for the three-row SUV lasted about three months, and the resulting version was one of three that underwent vehicle test track evaluations.

According to Carl Widmann, Explorer Sport's Vehicle Engineering Manager, "the cold end exhaust system is a true dual exhaust with pipe diameters and packaging optimized to minimize back pressure."

To handle the stopping demands of a performance SUV, the Sport model's brake rotors are the same as Ford's Police Interceptor Utility, which is based on the Explorer platform. The Sport and police vehicle's front brake rotors are 13.9 in (353 mm) in diameter vs. the current Explorer's 12.8 in (325 mm). Compared to the 2012 Explorer's 12.9-in (328-mm) rear brake rotor, the Sport and police vehicle's rear rotor is 13.6 in (345 mm).

"All brake control calibration related to ABS, the traction control system, and electronic stability control are specifically tuned to maximize the Explorer Sport's performance," explained Widmann.

Engineers for the high-performance SUV also recalibrated the 4WD system's terrain management settings for sand, snow, mud, and hill descent in addition to retuning the chassis and the suspension.

Explorer Sport's tunnel brace is a closed section box with a four-point attachment that increases tunnel lateral stiffness "to make the subframe isolation more effective for steering and noise abatement. The brace connecting the front shock towers increased by roughly 25% through increased sectional properties," Widmann explained to AEI.

A solid-mounted electric power assisted steering rack is used on the Sport instead of the 2012 Explorer's isolated mounted system.

To help manage the heat in the 4WD system, a water-cooled PTU (power takeoff unit) faceplate is used.

Said Gubing, "The PTU pulls water from the main radiator system's cooling loop. It's something we developed for the police vehicles, and we knew it would be a great fit for the Explorer Sport."

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2016, 11:47:21 PM
So I keep hearing, but a pic or two to confirm one way or the other would be nice!

I'll be darned! I do have a cooled PTU!

It's also called out in my 2013 FSM for the 3.5L GTDI.
2013 XSport

SHOdded