• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any vendors selling tunes for HPTuners?

Started by Rockstar04, September 14, 2016, 11:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockstar04

I am looking for a solid starting point for my Explorer, I've already unlocked it myself and started tinkering, but was wondering if any tuners/vendors have started working with it yet.

From the reading I've done on the HPTuners forums, HPT is still pretty far behind SCT, so I'm still on the fence about just getting a X4 tuner/tune form Unleashed and using HPTuners to tweak that to my liking.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

AJP turbo

Quote from: Rockstar04 on September 14, 2016, 11:34:34 AM
I am looking for a solid starting point for my Explorer, I've already unlocked it myself and started tinkering, but was wondering if any tuners/vendors have started working with it yet.

From the reading I've done on the HPTuners forums, HPT is still pretty far behind SCT, so I'm still on the fence about just getting a X4 tuner/tune form Unleashed and using HPTuners to tweak that to my liking.

Do you look like your avatar?...i see alot of those cartoon character avatars and trying to understand them

You should mention to unleashed that you plan on opening his locked tune lol

Actually if i was you i would get an LMS tune and unlock that...LMS tunes are better from what ive seen in data logs anyway so it will give you a better starting point
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Rockstar04

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 14, 2016, 12:26:51 PM
Do you look like your avatar?...i see alot of those cartoon character avatars and trying to understand them

Actually if i was you i would get an LMS tune and unlock that...LMS tunes are better from what ive seen in data logs anyway so it will give you a better starting point

I have been around the (GM) tuning game for a while, and spent a ton of time on the HPTuners forums. The consensus the vast majority of reputable tuners have come to is that the only reason to lock a tune is to hide a hack job. I would prefer to not give Livernois any money based on the disinformation campaigns I have seen from them on several forums. I'm fine with tuning the Expo myself, but I dont have the free time like I did in college to mess around with the tune to get it right.

My wife made my avatar a few years ago for me to use on my business cards, http://www.faceyourmanga.com/.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Rockstar04 on September 14, 2016, 01:45:08 PM

The consensus the vast majority of reputable tuners have come to is that the only reason to lock a tune is to hide a hack job. http://www.faceyourmanga.com/.

That is definitely not true...That is what people might think that are on the outside looking in and don't tune cars for a living...Tuning can be someone's lively hood...With late model, complex ECU's often the only way things are discovered is through seat time and experience and hundreds or thousands of reflashes...Sometimes even the software companies are no help....They offer the roads but not the road map for tuning.

Some people are just disgruntled because they can't get access to the tune so they can tinker....Go ask any of the world class tuners for an MTF or unlocked tunes and they usually won't even take 1000$

There are some that may be hiding a hack job but those are the crappy tuners

For the record, I'm not world class and tuning is not my lively hood.

On a tuning forum you may find people tossing around unprotected tunes for old platforms...And some tuning software packages don't even have the ability to lock files anyway

I've tuned every car I've owned from Honda's, Infiniti's, Nissan's, Fords, Subaru's...And I've used Hondata, Uprev, Opensource, SCT, Cobb. So I have some knowledge on many types of ECU's and Software packages.

I mean look at LMS....They won't even tell people when the cooling fans kick on let alone any thing of real importance....They have their egg, I have mine, and other tuners have theirs....Once it's out in the open then there is little need to pay for tunes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Proprietary information is proprietary for a reason:  people have to make a living somehow.  Are they supposed to work for free?  Ridiculous thought.  But would we like that insight?  Obviously.  If you want to provide stuff for free, good for you, and we thank you.  If you want to charge for it and keep it locked, that is absolutely your right, and we respect that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

I just want a fun Avatar...geeze...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Rockstar04 on September 14, 2016, 01:45:08 PM

I have been around the (GM) tuning game for a while, and spent a ton of time on the HPTuners forums. The consensus the vast majority of reputable tuners have come to is that the only reason to lock a tune is to hide a hack job. I would prefer to not give Livernois any money based on the disinformation campaigns I have seen from them on several forums. I'm fine with tuning the Expo myself, but I dont have the free time like I did in college to mess around with the tune to get it right.

My wife made my avatar a few years ago for me to use on my business cards, http://www.faceyourmanga.com/.
I will tell you that I have tunes from several different sources, and while LMS doesn't provide ANY information about their tunes besides the typical marketing answers they do have a well rounded tune. And I also have seen the datalogs from LMS on my own car and just based on the AFR/knock/temps they are very safe and produce good times.

I know Torrie is an HPT dealer/tuner over at unleashed.. he might be more inclined to answer your questions...

Happy hunting!

Rockstar04

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 26, 2016, 06:59:29 PM
I will tell you that I have tunes from several different sources, and while LMS doesn't provide ANY information about their tunes besides the typical marketing answers they do have a well rounded tune. And I also have seen the datalogs from LMS on my own car and just based on the AFR/knock/temps they are very safe and produce good times.

I know Torrie is an HPT dealer/tuner over at unleashed.. he might be more inclined to answer your questions...

Happy hunting!

I've just started the trial and error process of tuning on my own, Torrie didn't want to take on trying to replicate his SCT tunes with HPTuners without having the car available to him in person.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Rockstar04 on September 27, 2016, 09:15:30 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 26, 2016, 06:59:29 PM

Happy hunting!

I've just started the trial and error process of tuning on my own, Torrie didn't want to take on trying to replicate his SCT tunes with HPTuners without having the car available to him in person.
Makes sense as he probably wants to monitor the changes realtime. Good luck with the tuning!!!

J-Will

I'm interested in HPT also.  Perhaps I'll take a trip to FL with the SHO. 

FYI- HPT is working on a device that should help tuners sell tunes.  Their forums mention that it is not a handheld, but something more permanently installed and connected to the OBD port for datalogging
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Rockstar04

Quote from: J-Will on September 27, 2016, 09:24:47 AM
I'm interested in HPT also.  Perhaps I'll take a trip to FL with the SHO. 

FYI- HPT is working on a device that should help tuners sell tunes.  Their forums mention that it is not a handheld, but something more permanently installed and connected to the OBD port for datalogging

The NGauge is already available for Ford vehicles: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?55440-HP-Tuners-nGauge - http://www.vmpperformance.com/HP-Tuners-N-Gauge-tuning-and-datalogging-device-p/ngauge.htm

J-Will

So yea, that should help bring tuners over to the HPT platform. It'll only be a matter if time before we are able to buy HPT tunes. And that'll be fantastic

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap