• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Popping Theory - Popping Solved -- Talk me down from my ledge.

Started by 14SHOCAR, September 09, 2016, 09:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Hey all -- So I recently believe I fixed my popping problem. The fix wasn't exactly what you would expect. And this is all a theory -- I'll need AJP to talk me off my ledge.

As all of you know, my car was having popping and shifting problems between 2nd and 3rd gear with the LMS v8, v9, and v10 tunes. I believe that JMR and a few other forum folk were also having similar issues -- super frustrating. I started seeing a correlation between my road traction and how severe my popping / rev limiting was. I went up against a Genesis in a straight line and when I punched it, my car downshifted hard to second, then it wouldn't shift out of second to go to third. It kept hitting my rev limiter. That left me with two thoughts, when it shifted from forth to second, I may have chirped the tires and my car may have "sensed" the slipping and went to retarded driver mode. Second is that something is causing the tune to dump boost.

Well I recently went to the tire shop and got new tires (Goodyear Eagle Sports) and I made several observations. #1 These tires are absolutely awesome -- I stick to the road way better than the factory tires. #2 I no longer have the popping between any gears #3 When they were balancing my tires, they observed my front two rims are bent. Subsequently, they moved those rims to the rear of the car. #4 my old front tires were significantly wearing faster than my rears.

So this leaves me with my theories I need everyone to talk me off my ledge:
1. The issue is related to traction, and car going into retarded driver mode.
2. The LMS tune is front torque biased versus rear torque biased. (given the wear on the tires)
3. The bent rims were causing vibration which may be causing the front sensors to feel "wheel slip"

Thoughts? Aaaaaaaaand go!
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

Brucelinc

Number 3 sounds somewhat logical.  I would totally dismiss number 2.  I don't believe their tune discriminates on where the power is sent.  I would tend to dismiss number 1 because typically, a little bit of wheel slip can occur without any nannys coming to the rescue.   

sholxgt

I'm with Bruce about 3, but think that #1 could be playing a factor as well.

My car does NOT like any kind of traction loss.  The one time I forgot to turn off the traction control and stabbed it from a dead stop, my car went into a HARD limp mode and just bucked and snorted and would not go above 10mph or so for about 100 feet.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

Quote from: sholxgt on September 09, 2016, 09:39:16 AM
I'm with Bruce about 3, but think that #1 could be playing a factor as well.

My car does NOT like any kind of traction loss.  The one time I forgot to turn off the traction control and stabbed it from a dead stop, my car went into a HARD limp mode and just bucked and snorted and would not go above 10mph or so for about 100 feet.

Apparently the earlier models are different from the 2013+ models in this regard.   The only time I have ever had the traction control kick in was on ice or snow - and even then, it allows a bit of wheelspin before engaging.    I never turn off the TC on the street and can easily get some wheelspin from a dead stop and a solid chirp on the 1-2 shift. 

ZSHO

I would say #4 NOT staying on TOP of your vehicles maintenance aspect will cause a host of issues to arise and is crucial.....bent rims,alignment,proper wheel balanced,checking that sufficient tread remains,that they are inflated to specification and that their circumferences are within 1/2"of one another and replace tires as needed and that alone will cause an ABS/ADV TRAC FAULT AND Will SET OFF A DTC.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

Quote from: ZSHO on September 09, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
I would say #4 NOT staying on TOP of your vehicles maintenance aspect will cause a host of issues to arise.....

I wouldn't say that I wasn't on top of my vehicle maintenance. How often do you take off your rims and balance the tires? Most people just rotate the tires. There was NO discernable tire vibration and my alignment was straight. I had no reason to believe my rims were bent. The guy who was balancing the tires called me in and said "watch", and there it was, a slight wobble. He also mentioned that with today's modern suspensions, it's common for you not to feel any vibration.

And for those who may ask-- No I didn't hit any curbs. I drive in Illinois a lot and its very possible it was from a pot hole. (though I try to avoid them all)

I'm voting #3 myself, I would be curious if we could get some of the other "poppers" to get their front rims checked.

Last -- the bent rims are now on the back. The slip over sensitivity seems to be in the front.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

ZSHO

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on September 09, 2016, 11:08:37 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on September 09, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
I would say #4 NOT staying on TOP of your vehicles maintenance aspect will cause a host of issues to arise.....

I wouldn't say that I wasn't on top of my vehicle maintenance. How often do you take off your rims and balance the tires? Most people just rotate the tires. There was NO discernable tire vibration and my alignment was straight. I had no reason to believe my rims were bent. The guy who was balancing the tires called me in and said "watch", and there it was, a slight wobble. He also mentioned that with today's modern suspensions, it's common for you not to feel any vibration.

And for those who may ask-- No I didn't hit any curbs. I drive in Illinois a lot and its very possible it was from a pot hole. (though I try to avoid them all)

I'm voting #3 myself, I would be curious if we could get some of the other "poppers" to get their front rims checked.

Last -- the bent rims are now on the back. The slip over sensitivity seems to be in the front.
How about the uneven tire wear to the front!!!!.wouldnt that alone cause your overly sensitive AWD/ADVAN TRAC to go off. Z  BTW have mine checked/inspected at every oil change.  Date of Service

07/1/2016

$0.00

Service(s) Performed

Brakes
Tires
Wheel Alignment & Balance
Scheduled Maintenance
Air Conditioning & Heating
Electrical
Engine
Glass

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

The daisy wheels do seem to crack or get bent easier than steel wheels.  So probably a good idea to have them checked annually, if not sooner.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

I get this all the time, I think it's traction based. Turning off traction control helps. If I play with the paddles and let it force upshift, it also pukes as you state. I can't turn stability off as I'm non PP
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

JMR76

I've had this problem off and on, depending on tune versions.  My car was over revving, 7K RPMs sometimes before shifting.  I asked for the soft shift tune and it made a huge difference.  Although, even with the soft tune, I get the over rev sometimes and it cuts back.  The soft shift tune was a lot better, but no more breaking traction during shifts.  95% of the time it worked and shifted flawlessly, but that 5%, it would sometimes hit rev limiter and cut back.  This was usually only went already moving, punch it / down shift to 1st and and when it shifted to 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

JMR76

And yes, turning off traction control helps, buts it doesn't eliminate the problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2013 SHO - PP/ GH Intercooler / 170*TS / Cold .026 plugs / MSD Coils / Corsa cat-back / PPE Catted Downpipes / Xtreme-DI XDI-EO HPFP / E 30+ / Gear Head Tuned.

f8tlSHO

Traction is the problem... Mine does weird s*** like this when traction control is on.. If you turn it off and have too much wheel spin mine goes fwd... That's really ridiculous... Going 40mph and punching it, lite's the tires up quick... Fun but prob not good for the ptu

Sent from my iPhone
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

Vortech347

Quote from: f8tlSHO on September 19, 2016, 03:05:57 PM
Traction is the problem... Mine does weird s*** like this when traction control is on.. If you turn it off and have too much wheel spin mine goes fwd... That's really ridiculous... Going 40mph and punching it, lite's the tires up quick... Fun but prob not good for the ptu

Sent from my iPhone

I have noticed if I mash the gas with just enough 1st gear left that it downshifts into 1st I get torque steer that damn near pulls the car into a curb.  haha
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

f8tlSHO

Quote from: Vortech347 on September 19, 2016, 05:50:48 PM
Quote from: f8tlSHO on September 19, 2016, 03:05:57 PM

Sent from my iPhone

I have noticed if I mash the gas with just enough 1st gear left that it downshifts into 1st I get torque steer that damn near pulls the car into a curb.  haha
👍 hold on to that wheel!!

Sent from my iPhone
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq