• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Vent Tube and TSB

Started by metroplex, September 08, 2016, 05:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

my RDU constantly pukes gear oil. Was looking for a different vent without paying all that money ford wants for the relocation kit.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

wraitherx

Quote from: BlueSHO on May 11, 2017, 12:18:53 PM
Quote from: wraitherx on May 11, 2017, 08:36:41 AM
I'm curious if that top portion of that vent tube is easily removable. It would be a great way to fill the ptu on the 13-up instead of dropping the DP's and using that crows foot. Anyone ever tried that method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how easy but that's my plan for when I change mine and will try to refill from there..

Please post back with whether or not it was easy or even worked. I don't see why it wouldn't. One would just have to ensure to put in as much as you take out 

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

BlueSHO

Quote from: wraitherx on May 11, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
Quote from: BlueSHO on May 11, 2017, 12:18:53 PM
Quote from: wraitherx on May 11, 2017, 08:36:41 AM
I'm curious if that top portion of that vent tube is easily removable. It would be a great way to fill the ptu on the 13-up instead of dropping the DP's and using that crows foot. Anyone ever tried that method?

Not sure how easy but that's my plan for when I change mine and will try to refill from there..

Please post back with whether or not it was easy or even worked. I don't see why it wouldn't. One would just have to ensure to put in as much as you take out 

Another member here told me it's not hard to remove and kind of like pulling a barb off a hose. He also said make sure you grip the hose below the vent cap when removing it or you could pull the hose off the PTU. Also with that vent cap being low at the bottom of the rear valve cover I'm going to put a hose coupler and a small length of hose on it for easier filling. I will measure how much I put in and also leave the fill plug off of the side of the PTU so I do not overfill and I'll just monitor it when gear oil just starts to drain out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

MiWiAu

Quote from: BlueSHO on May 11, 2017, 01:38:33 PM
Another member here told me it's not hard to remove and kind of like pulling a barb off a hose. He also said make sure you grip the hose below the vent cap when removing it or you could pull the hose off the PTU.

Sounds like a wise member. ;)

My crazy mind may be making this up, but I thought I recall reading that some units experienced PTU fluid leaks because the vent tubes popped off the bottom fitting.

When I was futzing with my OE vent tube, it basically fell off the PTU fitting when I grabbed the vent hose. No big deal since I was replacing the whole thing with a longer section (and a small hose clamp for good measure).

If it happens to come off while your trying to pull the Goretex cap, the nipple is directly on top of the PTU right at the vehicle centerline.

As far as I know, the only way to reattach is from under the vehicle, and it's a blind mission.

2013 XSport