• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Just bought a SCT X4 7015 for my SHO and I can't wait!

Started by paokara777, August 24, 2016, 09:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paokara777

Anyone have any tips on how to set it up etc?
Also, i believe there is the standard tunes that are pre-loaded, can anyone recommend which of the canned tunes are good?

Also - i am considering a Downpipe - can anyone tell me if it changes the sound of the exhaust and if so how much? Anyone have a video of a SHO with a down-pipe installed?

Cheers
Daily Drive:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, AJP 3BAR 93, K&N drop in
Weekend Cruiser:
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 C Code
4Bl Carb, HiPo Cam, Headers and Exhaust

sholxgt

You will need to purchase a tune from Unleashed or contact AJP here on the forum.  I do not recommend even plugging the SCT into your car until you have a custom tune.  The reports from users that try the ones built into the device have NOT been good.

With the PPE catted downpipes on my car, it still sounds stock.  From what I understand, catless downpipes make the car slightly louder, but maintain the stock sound.  Very little change.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

paokara777

Oh, i have to spend money on a tune? i thought you could program them/tweak them yourself?

Surely the canned tunes are better than the stock/factory tune?

OK so the downpipe wont change the sound much - i was hoping for this sort of sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LdPCbp4108

(you may recognize the car, hes a member)
Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

sholxgt

The tunes built in are not safe.  I would not trust them.  I had this same experience with my Crown Vic PI.  The canned tune for that car was not a safe tune either.

In order to create your own tunes, you would need this...
https://www.sctflash.com/Products/software/SCTADV3/advantage-iii

The car in the video sounds like it has a complete aftermarket exhaust and Vent To Air wastegates.  The whistle you hear is due to the VTA.  The rumble is from either aftermarket mufflers or a muffler delete.

Down pipes are more of a performance improvement while a cat back or muffler change is for sound.  If sound is your goal, you could start by trying a muffler delete and see if it fits your needs.  If not, you could then pick aftermarket mufflers to try.  I always like the sound of Magnaflows.

I'm sure others will chime in with their personal preference for making more sound.

For the tune, I suggest shooting AJP on these forums a private message.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

paokara777

Yeah the whirl sound on that SHO is sublime.

OK i guess i'll look into some custom tunes from Unleashed

Does AJP do his own tunes as well?
Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on August 24, 2016, 10:21:44 PM
The tunes built in are not safe.  I would not trust them.  I had this same experience with my Crown Vic PI.  The canned tune for that car was not a safe tune either.

In order to create your own tunes, you would need this...
https://www.sctflash.com/Products/software/SCTADV3/advantage-iii

The car in the video sounds like it has a complete aftermarket exhaust and Vent To Air wastegates.  The whistle you hear is due to the VTA.  The rumble is from either aftermarket mufflers or a muffler delete.

Down pipes are more of a performance improvement while a cat back or muffler change is for sound.  If sound is your goal, you could start by trying a muffler delete and see if it fits your needs.  If not, you could then pick aftermarket mufflers to try.  I always like the sound of Magnaflows.

I'm sure others will chime in with their personal preference for making more sound.

For the tune, I suggest shooting AJP on these forums a private message.
X2

This week alone, AJP is responsible for creating sadness and despair for the owners of....

One V-8 hemi charger
One V-8 hemi challenger
One Coyote Mustang
One "stage 2" Rousch Mustang

I really can't say enough about the tune, service, and education I've received from him.

I am super picky (he'd probably say needy, lol) with a bunch of specific requests, given him the worst fuel to deal with (I didn't tell him) and beat the holy hell out of his tune in 100 degree ambient temps with IAT2 temps over 180 and the tune is safe and fast.

He does require data logging but I assure you its worth the time and there's lots of folks and posts that can help you through the process.

paokara777

LOL
I feel sorry for the "stage 2" rousch stang.

OK sounds like a good plan

How do I get data logging? Does the X4 pull the data from the ECU?
Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: paokara777 on August 24, 2016, 10:56:32 PM
LOL
I feel sorry for the "stage 2" rousch stang.

OK sounds like a good plan

How do I get data logging? Does the X4 pull the data from the ECU?

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6554.0.html

paokara777

Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

paokara777

Got the X4 today, installed the canned tune,
Left everything default except:
91 octane (i actually had 92 in the tank, but there was only 87, 91 and 93 so i went with 91)
Also added gear change pressure.

After driving around for a bit on the new tune, i was moderately impressed. Seemed to be more responsive, seemed to be hitting about 3-4 more PSI (had it on "guage mode" and it showed me my PSI live)

I got home and plugged the X4 into my PC and updated it. It had newer versions of the canned tunes. I had to restore my ecu to stock, then update the device
I proceeded to upload the updated tunes to the car with exact same settings

Car is now a rocket! I cannot believe the difference, just between two canned tunes alone!

It went from a fast-ish car that was sluggish to drive, pressing the accelerator was almost like i was telling the car "hit the gas" and it took the car a few seconds to know what that means.

To a more responsive fast-ish car that changed gears harder

To a proper rocket.

Next step: installing a new air box and air filter/cold intake, Downpipe and muffler delete (hopefully) then a custom tune,

Then my wife will kill me for spending all my money on my work car.

Then i will stop for at least a week
Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

SHOdded

Certain death either way LOL.  I am guessing you did not have time to let the PCM relearn, so what you were seeing performancewise would not be the same after the relearn.  And during the relearn, it feels like it's faster/better than it is.  No doubt there is some improvement, but the relearn process seems to exaggerate it somewhat in real world numbers.  Good though that the canned tunes felt different before/after the upgrade.  Maybe SCT's paying attention!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

paokara777

I think the SCT, although it's a kind of "one size fits all" tune, it is Day and Night different to the factory stuck-in-the-mud tune.

If a custom tune can get better than this, i wouldn't be suprised if i break 12 seconds et this October.

Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

paokara777

Daily Drive:
Weekend Cruiser:

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: paokara777 on August 29, 2016, 11:27:43 PM
Got the X4 today, installed the canned tune,
Left everything default except:
91 octane (i actually had 92 in the tank, but there was only 87, 91 and 93 so i went with 91)
Also added gear change pressure.

After driving around for a bit on the new tune, i was moderately impressed. Seemed to be more responsive, seemed to be hitting about 3-4 more PSI (had it on "guage mode" and it showed me my PSI live)

I got home and plugged the X4 into my PC and updated it. It had newer versions of the canned tunes. I had to restore my ecu to stock, then update the device
I proceeded to upload the updated tunes to the car with exact same settings

Car is now a rocket! I cannot believe the difference, just between two canned tunes alone!

It went from a fast-ish car that was sluggish to drive, pressing the accelerator was almost like i was telling the car "hit the gas" and it took the car a few seconds to know what that means.

To a more responsive fast-ish car that changed gears harder

To a proper rocket.

Next step: installing a new air box and air filter/cold intake, Downpipe and muffler delete (hopefully) then a custom tune,

Then my wife will kill me for spending all my money on my work car.

Then i will stop for at least a week
You could also opt for option B, keep wife happy and skip the bolt ons for a while.

If you're gonna work with a tuner anyway why not see how far you can get with a tune only?

I'm on revision 19 and ran a 12.68 in terrible environmental conditions with tuner imposed spark restrictions for IAT2 and I think coolant temp.

I'm pretty excited to see the times colder weather and full spark will yield.