• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How- to" Access Advanced Ford PIDs Using a Scan Tool

Started by breeves002, July 18, 2013, 04:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

Whoops, I should have looked at your link - it's this one:
http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html
They sent me the one you have but I don't one a long cord in my car so I'm swapping them. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ecoboostsho

Went for a quick drive.  I have a PP so I turned Advance Trac off completely so it wouldn't interfere with wheelspin.  Unfortunately I don't have a car that can generate a ton of wheelspin (need a few more power adders I guess) but I can get a little off the line.  The graph I've attached is a little hard to read but the beginning is when I floored the car (AP% light blue line going to 100%).  It engages the module immediately (top line) and then sends the PWM duty cycle to 100% briefly until the wheels gain traction.  Interestingly it appears to be a pulse width modulated circuit.  The problem I see is that at present if it is sending a 100% PWM signal you aren't going to get anything else out of it (since the signal represents "On time" for the waveform that is driving the unit unless you can actually send additional current back toward) it you may be maxed out.  That said there is also a Calibration Table "B" which indicates it can load additional calibrations so perhaps it is possible to modify the actual maximum level.

The other lines are wheel speed and a DTC self test I would be interested in seeing this graph in a higher horsepower car that can generate more spin...
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: ecoboostsho on July 18, 2013, 07:20:47 PM
Went for a quick drive.  I have a PP so I turned Advance Trac off completely so it wouldn't interfere with wheelspin.  Unfortunately I don't have a car that can generate a ton of wheelspin (need a few more power adders I guess) but I can get a little off the line.  The graph I've attached is a little hard to read but the beginning is when I floored the car (AP% light blue line going to 100%).  It engages the module immediately (top line) and then sends the PWM duty cycle to 100% briefly until the wheels gain traction.  Interestingly it appears to be a pulse width modulated circuit.  The problem I see is that at present if it is sending a 100% PWM signal you aren't going to get anything else out of it (since the signal represents "On time" for the waveform that is driving the unit unless you can actually send additional current back toward) it you may be maxed out.  That said there is also a Calibration Table "B" which indicates it can load additional calibrations so perhaps it is possible to modify the actual maximum level.

The other lines are wheel speed and a DTC self test I would be interested in seeing this graph in a higher horsepower car that can generate more spin...
Great job with that. Now if we can scan a high HP car that can generate wheel spin and then find the module that is telling the ECU that something bad is happening and to close the throttle body.
As far as the PWM signal, if I can interrupt it and send 100% right from the start so the AWD system is at 50/50 we shouldn't have any spin or much less. 
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

ecoboostsho

Agreed (assuming the clutches hold up. :) ) I would think the ECU itself would just use the difference in wheelspin from front to back to determine when to intercept.  If it tells the AWD system to kick in and stop wheelspin and it still sees slippage at the wheels eventually it assumes the clutches are slipping and probably shuts down the system to save itself.  So if you could up the signal and keep the wheels from slipping you should be able to prevent the PCM from stepping in? Then again...I'm just speculating. Looking forward to your testing.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

jomc111

I see epic things a brewing.

Is it just me or was more found out in the last couple hours then there has been in the last 6 months or atleast posted for all to see
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

adelsin

Question for torrie or livernois?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

2013 Green Gem SHO PP, all available options.

breeves002

Can someone with a 2013 PLEASE post a screenshot of all the HS and MSCAN modules they have? I only can find details up to the 2011 MY. I know they have more for the 2013 MY. 2011 and 2012 should be the same..

That would be AWESOME.
SHO Lover and Advanced Diagnostics Enthusiast
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - 3.5L N/A Duratec

adelsin

Hoping to put this on my agenda for tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 2

breeves002

Also... in addition, someone with an OBDLink MX or a scan tool with the STN1170 chip, can you please tell me if you can stream data from BOTH MS and HSCAN at the same time with it? I have to switch it over with the ELM327, and it would be cool to be able to use both!

If you have an OBDLink MX or scan tool with the STN1170 and have some free time please PM me. I'll even let you use my copy of ScanXL to help find me some data! It's for the community anyways.

adelsin

Im on my tab, I have the one mentioned in the link earlier, would that work?

breeves002

Quote from: adelsin on July 19, 2013, 12:09:48 AM
Im on my tab, I have the one mentioned in the link earlier, would that work?

Yes that one will work perfectly!

Also please screenshot me all the HS and MS CAN modules your 2013 has! Just go to the self test page like I did (in the first post, last picture) and screenshot it and upload it here! I'll add any more to that.

I believe you have a BCM instead of a SJB. Ford just started using that instead.

dalum

I was under the impression the SJB was the bridge for the low and high speed busses in the '13.  The dealer put the wrong SJB in my car and nothing could talk to each other anymore.  Te dash lit up like a Christmas tree and all the modules were throwing codes.
2013 Non-PP SHO

adelsin

I will do this first thing after work. Will FORscan work? I have obdwiz that came with the device as well.

breeves002

Quote from: adelsin on July 19, 2013, 12:38:50 AM
I will do this first thing after work. Will FORscan work? I have obdwiz that came with the device as well.

OBDWiz is good for Mode $06, but worthless for almost everything else. Love it for diagnosing misfires though!

Please use FORScan. Let me know if it shows MS-CAN modules like the ACM or BCM/SJB!! If it doesn't, then I'll send you my copy of ScanXL and hopefully that will see it. Once you see all of the modules, go to the self test page and upload a screenshot of that here to show all of the different modules. The real question is can you view data from HS and MS can at the same time. So try recording PIDs from HVAC and from the PCM at the same time. Not sure how it will work, but good luck! We can always try ScanXL if FORScan doesn't work (since its a beta program). However FORScan may be the best scan tool software under $5000!!

breeves002

Quote from: dalum on July 19, 2013, 12:30:59 AM
I was under the impression the SJB was the bridge for the low and high speed busses in the '13.  The dealer put the wrong SJB in my car and nothing could talk to each other anymore.  Te dash lit up like a Christmas tree and all the modules were throwing codes.

On a 2013 there is a seperate gateway module that bridges the four networks. I think that that is separate from the BCM. The 2013 has a BCM instead so if they put in an SJB from a 2010-2012, then you would have huge problems obviously!