• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another twin turbo ...

Started by Capri83RS, July 14, 2016, 03:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capri83RS

I probably can't classify this one as an "EcoBoost", though :P

I ended up selling the '79 Capri I was working on as a roller, initially I planned on selling the 306 and T5 as well.  Trying to get the money together to Coyote swap my '84 Capri RS.  As luck would have it, the day I sold the '79, I was perusing Craigslist, and saw a fox body twin turbo kit.  Listed for $700.  I had to know more.

Come to find out, previous owner had 50-60 miles on the kit with a stock 302, and decided to build a 351w.  His custom ground cam had the wrong firing order setup, and he scored the cylinder walls.  That prompted the selling of everything.

Turbo kit (looks like an ebay special) is a pair of 50-trim wheels, .63 A/R turbine housing, .50 A/R compressor housing, 5-bolt ford housing with internal wastegates.  Came with headers, all cold side piping, couplers, clamps, front mount intercooler, blow off valve, oil feed lines, oil drain lines, and downpipes with O2 sensors.  I also scored an electric water pump, NIB, for $100.

Attached are pictures of all the pieces, and a mockup on the engine with the water pump installed.

1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2013 Mustang GT Track Package w/ Recaro's
2014 Taurus SHO

SHOdded

Moved to the appropriate subforum ... :)

That setup is gonna be quite the topic of conversation at shows, when done!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

wow!  Thats going to use a lot of engine bay space
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Capri83RS

Quote from: SHOdded on July 14, 2016, 03:30:10 PM
Moved to the appropriate subforum ... :)

That setup is gonna be quite the topic of conversation at shows, when done!

Thanks!  Didn't realize it was in the wrong sub-category until I left work.

Definitely going to be fun.  Most of the turbo fox cars around here are LS-swapped!

Quote from: J-Will on July 14, 2016, 04:00:07 PM
wow!  Thats going to use a lot of engine bay space

It's actually tucked pretty close to the engine.  It does sit tall, not sure if the stock hood will clear it yet.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

ZSHO

Best of luck Capri...definitely need to verify any clearance issues as mentioned above,sure dont want to be driving around  like this Audi. LOL.  Z  http://www.autoevolution.com/news/audi-rs7-with-externally-mounted-turbos-sounds-insane-looks-satanic-106039.html      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weU5U6nXx8o

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

JCam550

Definitely going to be fun.  Most of the turbo fox cars around here are LS-swapped

Oh god!!! Please say it isn't so!!! Blasphemy
2010 SHO - Tuxedo Black, 402a, non-PP, Unleashed 93 Octane, 3 Bar, 170 T Stat, 534 plugs, MDesign intake, BOV VTA, 5% window tint all around, 2013 fender badges, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, JLT catch can, Amsoil fluids, Tommy Z grille, H&R Springs

SHOdded

LS = cheap power in a compact size = irresistible!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Capri83RS

Quote from: ZSHO on July 14, 2016, 10:57:13 PM
Best of luck Capri...definitely need to verify any clearance issues as mentioned above,sure dont want to be driving around  like this Audi. LOL.  Z  http://www.autoevolution.com/news/audi-rs7-with-externally-mounted-turbos-sounds-insane-looks-satanic-106039.html      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weU5U6nXx8o

I've got an extra hood that's had some rust issues, if all else fails, I'll cut some clearance holes in it, so i can still run a hood.  Less weight, means faster, right? :D

Quote from: JCam550 on July 14, 2016, 11:11:20 PM
QuoteDefinitely going to be fun.  Most of the turbo fox cars around here are LS-swapped
Oh god!!! Please say it isn't so!!! Blasphemy

Wish I could, but the 5.3 is extremely cheap, and handles boost really well.  There are three really nice coupes around here with 5.3's and a big single, making well over 800hp.

Quote from: SHOdded on July 15, 2016, 12:10:18 AM
LS = cheap power in a compact size = irresistible!
]
Agreed!  I had an LS-swapped 3rd gen Camaro.  That was a fun car.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

sholxgt

Cool project!

I will be curious to see how the plumbing works.  The outlet locations on those turbo's seems like they will be right into the inner fenders.  Maybe they feed into the factory airbox hole on the passenger side and through a new hole behind the battery on the drivers side?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Capri83RS

Quote from: sholxgt on July 15, 2016, 01:42:38 PM
Cool project!

I will be curious to see how the plumbing works.  The outlet locations on those turbo's seems like they will be right into the inner fenders.  Maybe they feed into the factory airbox hole on the passenger side and through a new hole behind the battery on the drivers side?

The drivers side outlet points down-ish, it will route just inside of the framerail.  I played with the passenger side turbo, as it required a 1/2" spacer to clear my tall valve covers on that side.  For some reason, that one is a lot closer to the engine and not angled like the drivers side is.  So I had the turbine and compressor housings off, along with the wastegate housing (which is still off).  It's just mocked up outside of the car, as I still need to pull the pan to weld on the drain bungs, and I'm going to re-degree the cam.  I'll tweak the housings once I get it in the car, but both outlets to the intercooler should pass inside of the frame rails on both sides.

Still need to clean the garage up, so i can pull the car away from the wall, then I need to get the engine bay and door jambs painted, before I can drop the engine back into it.  Plus getting the oil pan modified.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

Capri83RS

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 15, 2016, 01:33:18 AM
I would never treat a ford like that but I would do it to a Porsche...

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-you-can-own-a-reliable-400-hp-porsche-911-for-the-p-1749768518

Totally forgot, a buddy of mine down in Texas, finally has a reliable FD3S.  After getting his third Rotary built, he yanked it and sold it, did an LS1/T56 swap into it.  Now it's a 500hp 6spd, that's ultra-reliable.  His best 1/4 mile has been a 11.7 @ 127 mph.  It doesn't launch for crap, LOL.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

Capri83RS

Picked up some more stuff, Weld Racing pro-stars with slicks, 15x8 and 15x3.5, Flaming River manual rack & pinion with billet shaft, and an old Ford Racing 351w NASCAR style block.

I had family in town the past week, so now I can get down to cleaning up the garage, and get ready to work on the Capri again.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2014 Taurus SHO

SHOdded

Until I saw engine pics, I have to admit I kept hitting the Fast Forward button LOL.  Interruptions gotta happen so you don't burn yourself out!

sholxgt

Great score on the block!  Can it be used wet or is that one a dry sump only block?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106