• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Fluid Change Shops in Detroit Area

Started by 97novi2k, July 11, 2016, 05:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97novi2k

I called 4 FORD dealers in the Detroit area and all said they wouldn't touch the PTU since its sealed. Anyone who has had it done in the Detroit area can you let me know where you went.

2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

SHOdded

Try Lincoln dealerships instead, tell them you want a front differential fluid exchange.  Might have to visit 1 or 2 in person, talk to the mechanic.

Otherwise you can try your luck with the bgfindashop.com site, look for shops that perform driveline services.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

97novi2k

Ok I will give that a try tomorrow! Hopefully someone here has had it done in the area
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

SHOdded

There are quite a few members from the Detroit and Chicago area on here, so if all else fails, maybe one of them can help you out ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

97novi2k

I usually do my own work but figured this would be cheap and I don't have an extractor. I'm about to hit 31k so want to get this done.

I did find a BG dealer close that says they do front differential so I will call tomorrow, thanks for the heads up.

Scott4957

You can get an extractor from HarborFreight for $15, it works great.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

pmezo33

It really is no big deal since you have a non-pp.  Get some jack stands and a cheap extractor.  I use a mityvac i got for like $70 off amazon.  You could buy an even cheaper one, but I really like my mityvac.  Sucks up everything real quick.

Once you've got the car on jack stands and the tire removed, it takes about 15 minutes to do.  On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest, it's about a 2.  Really easy.

Do the rear differential fluid while you're at it.  That's even easier than the PTU.

97novi2k

I might have to give it a try myself, for everyone that drains and fills twice do you drive a little and do it again or what's the procedure

pmezo33

Quote from: 97novi2k on July 11, 2016, 07:10:24 PM
I might have to give it a try myself, for everyone that drains and fills twice do you drive a little and do it again or what's the procedure

It couldn't hurt to drive around a little.  Just make sure it cools down before draining the second time.  It gets real hot under there.

BBOX

When I did my PTU and RDU with about 60K on the clock, we ended up double-dipping on it. The factory, erm, "fluids" were thick, chunky and pasty and a pain in the ass to extract, so my mechanic friend assisting me suggested sucking out as much as possible, refilling with fresh fluid and then driving around for a period of time to allow the new fluid to mix with the old, then repeat the process a couple of weeks later. When we performed the second service, the extraction was much easier and more thorough. Doing the process twice is a bit of a pain in the ass but I do feel it's worth it to ensure it's done thoroughly.

97novi2k

I guess I will see how bad it is before I decide to do a second drain. I was looking at the how to section but the one only shows some of the pics. Can't be that hard I'm sure I could give it a try

sholxgt

If you go the dealer route, try to find the one that services the police interceptors.  The Lincoln dealer my wife works at does the local PD cars and they get the PTU fluid changed.  Granted, the service is slightly different since they have the PP cooler, but similar enough.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

97novi2k

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I might try this myself but will also call a few Lincoln dealers as well just to see pricing

97novi2k

Got my PTU and rear diff changed and all looked good. The PTU was dark but no sludge and also no metal shavings.

Car has 31k on the dial

97novi2k

Also I was able to get it done at the Lincoln dealer, just didn't have time on my own