• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Taurus Blower Motor Resistor Location

Started by blaine109, July 03, 2016, 02:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaine109

Can anyone provide some insight to where the exact location is of the blower motor resistor? 

Please do not link me to a video from a different vehicle.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO / Discovered knock sensor wire chaffing issue (you're welcome) / EBC GD Brakes w/ Red Stuff / Livernois Tune

SHOdded

Here's a video from a Chrysler 200 ... OOPS, sorry :D

Item  Part Number  Description 
1  W707628  RH lower instrument panel insulator front screw (2 required) 
2  707281  RH lower instrument panel insulator rear screw 
3  54046A24  RH lower instrument panel insulator 
4  —  Blower motor speed control/resistor electrical connector (part of 14401) 
5  W701696  Blower motor speed control/resistor screw (2 required) 
6  19E624  Blower motor speed control 

Removal and Installation

• Remove the 3 RH lower instrument panel insulator screws and remove the insulator.
  • Disconnect the blower motor speed control electrical connector.
  • Remove the 2 blower motor speed control screws.
  • Remove the blower motor speed control.
  • To install, reverse the removal procedure.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

blaine109

Thank you sir, hopefully this will resolve my issue with my blower not turning on at all.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO / Discovered knock sensor wire chaffing issue (you're welcome) / EBC GD Brakes w/ Red Stuff / Livernois Tune

SHOdded

Good luck!  Recently had to have the blower motor replaced in my Edge.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

blaine109

Is there any way to test either the motor or resistor to confirm which part is bad before I buy replacement parts?

SHOdded

Let me check the manual, be back in a couple of hours.

SHOdded

Pinpoint test most specific to blower motor/resistor ...

blaine109

Thank you sir.  I have no fan at all right now on any speed.  File says to go to Pinpoint Test J but J is not included in file.

SHOdded

blaine109

So, I'm back to square one here.

I replaced the motor blower resistor and still nothing.

This all happened when I started my car the other day to cool it down while putting the kids in and when I got in I immediately hit the start button (force of habit) and turned the car off.  I immediately hit the button again and restarted the car and that's when I noticed the fan not blowing.  I'm 99% positive it was blowing before I accidentally turned it off.

Symptoms:
-Fan motor blower does not turn on at all
-A/C compressor does turn on and if I leave it on long enough I can feel a "coolness" drifting out from the vents, just no blower to push it out.
-I have also noticed that when I turn on my cooled seats that they do not come on either.  The lights on the button will briefly light up and then just turn off.  I'm sure the issues are related, but have no idea on what my issue is.  The same issue happens when I turn on my heated seats, briefly light up and then turn off.

I checked all the fuses that I found relevant in the manual both in the cabin as well as under the hood and didn't see anything there but I may have overlooked somewhere.  Some fuses they listed in the book didn't even exist under the hood, just blank spots

Any ideas?

SHOdded

Looking more and more like the HVAC module may be shot.

QuoteHeated Seats — Front

Vehicles equipped with front heated seats are equipped with a single-heated seat module to control both front heated seats. The heated seat module is mounted to the bottom of the front passenger seat. The heated seat module does not time out. The system will function with the ignition in RUN, whether the engine is running or not. The heated seat module supplies voltage to the heater mats and regulates seat temperature by monitoring a thermostat located in the cushion heater mat.

The heated seat buttons are part of the Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM). When a heated seat button is pressed, the FCIM sends a command message over Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) to the HVAC module. The HVAC module then momentarily grounds the request circuit to the heated seat module to turn the heated seat ON or OFF. Upon receiving a momentary ground, the heated seat module will decrease one setting (the sequence is high, low, off and high).

When the heated seat module is on it provides a signal back to the HVAC module. The HVAC module then communicates messages back to the FCIM to turn the indicators on. Both indicators illuminate in high, one indicator illuminates in low and neither will be illuminated when off.

The heated seat module does not report DTCs and does not communicate on the CAN . If a fault is detected, the module will disable the affected seat(s) and indicator(s).

After the fault is corrected, the heated seat module needs to be reset by cycling the ignition OFF and then ON. After the heated seat module has been reset, the module will return to an off state.

The heated seat module request circuits are monitored by the HVAC module and will set a DTC if a circuit fault is detected. Refer to the HVAC Module DTC Chart.

Normal heat cycle may require several minutes to initially warm the seat. The seat should be occupied to correctly test for normal operation. Temperature measuring devices do not provide an accurate method for testing heated seat operation as surface temperatures are subject to human and environmental characteristics. Correct testing requires heater mat resistance measurements which have tight tolerances affecting the length of time for the heater mats to reach maximum operating temperature.

SHOdded

The wiring diagrams point to a fault with the HVAC module also, if you check the PDF with Pinpoint Test J in it.

blaine109

SHOdded

I believe so

Front Display Interface Module (FDIM)
NOTE: Without navigation shown, with navigation similar.

1  W707628-S  Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) screws (4 required) 
2  10D885/10E899  FDIM (without navigation/ with navigation) 
3  —  FDIM electrical connector (part of 14401) 

Removal and Installation

NOTE: Vehicles without navigation require Programmable Module Installation (PMI) when a new module is being installed. For vehicles with navigation, the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) is not a stand-alone module.

For vehicles without navigation, upload the FDIM configuration information to the scan tool. For additional information, refer to PMI in Section 418-01 .
Remove the center instrument panel finish panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-12 .
NOTICE: For vehicles with navigation, make sure not to bend the video cable when removing the FDIM .
Remove the 4 screws and the FDIM .
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
For vehicles without navigation, download the configuration information to the FDIM . For additional information, refer to PMI in Section 418-01 .

Audio Control Module (ACM)
NOTE: Without navigation shown, with navigation similar.

1  W713809-S  Audio Front Control Module (ACM) screws (4 required) 
2  18C869/18C815/ 18K931  ACM (single CD/ 6-CD/ navigation) 
3  —  ACM electrical connectors (part of 14401) 

Removal and Installation

NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the Audio Front Control Module (ACM) to retrieve the part number. For additional information, refer to Audio Control Module (ACM) Self-Diagnostic Mode in this section.

NOTE: Module configuration is required when a new ACM is being installed.

Upload the ACM configuration information to the scan tool. For additional information, refer to Programmable Module Installation (PMI) in Section 418-01 .
Remove the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM). For additional information, refer to Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) in this section.
Remove the 4 screws and the ACM .
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Download the ACM configuration information from the scan tool. For additional information, refer to PMI in Section 418-01 .

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) Module

1  —  HVAC module electrical connector (2 required) 
2  19980  HVAC module 

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the Audio Front Control Module (ACM). For additional information, refer to Section 415-00 .
2. Disconnect the 2 HVAC module electrical connectors.
3. Release the retaining tabs and remove the HVAC module.
4. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

SHO Rod

Blower motors are pretty easy to test with a fused test lead.  In my skimming of the above it seems like you've skipped the obvious and headed for the expensive.  Maybe I missed something. 

Have you tried powering the blower motor to see if it runs when hard wired?  If you don't have a fused test lead, do you have a test light that you can use to check for power getting to the blower motor?

-Rod